• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel line questions tii

so many options to replace fuel lines on my 74 tii, but how much 7 feet? and what size do I need? I probably go braided, autohouse? is there a return fuel line? length.

seems like our vendors dont have much or hard to find.

first time doing this...

tia NMDerek

• Like 1

Hi Derek, 

For the main body line I used this Copper/Nickel line. It was easy to bend by hand with care and route as needed. Outside of this, you just need some smaller rubber line at each end for the pump and up from the firewall. I used some small pieces of cut rubber hose to insulate/protect it at each of the mounting points as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BN3DL5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Rodolfo Lasparri
typo
  • Like 2

1973 2002tii Taiga, 2763376 

1969 2002 Chamonix, 1666774

The return line is the clear-ish plastic line that runs through the car same as all 02's the caarb cars use it as the supply line, the pressure line is made up of a rubber hose to the fuel pump and then a steel line ( no part number given )to the front left corner of the engine bay, RealOEM will have the part numbers for the parts still available. Make sure that the fuel hose you use is rated for F/I and is for use with ethanol. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

56 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

RealOEM will have the part numbers for the parts still available. Make sure that the fuel hose you use is rated for F/I and is for use with ethanol. 

The 8x13 (16121180409) BMW fuel hose (from Blunt, other vendors or the dealer) is rated for higher pressures than 'normal' fuel hoses. 

Last time i purchased from a dealer is was in a one meter length and it handled all the connections. Good time to replace the fuel filter by the radiator also and check the mesh filter on the bottom of the tank pick up. 

• Like 2

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

your car should already have a metal fuel line running along the drive side frame rail. That is the supply line. A plastic line runs through the interior of the car and that is the return line. You use 8mm ID fuel hose for the engine side fuel connections. There is a special 12mm id rubber hose that goes from the tank to the fuel pump 

• Like 2

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Just be sure there is a flare (bubble?) near the end of the metal tubing where the hoses attach to eliminate possibility the hose can slip off or leak, or use a compression fitting hose connection.

• Like 2

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

Note: If you replace the rubber line locally be sure and buy "Fuel Injected" rubber fuel line, it will work fine but costs 3X as much as regular fuel line.

Personally I replaced both hardlines and it virtually wiped out the "Fuel Smell" my wife always complained about 

IMG_5282.thumb.JPG.fe76694e038e84d2c523da274fbf02eb.JPG

IMG_5281.thumb.JPG.82ab05a0e1c10c42e1ffe9ece94a15db.JPG

IMG_5291.thumb.JPG.f31408e070fd8a094f79674bcc8f1a45.JPG

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

If you replace the hard line from front to back, put a flare, preferably a bubble flare at each end so it is like the original line. A little extra assurance the attached rubber fuel lines don't pop off if, for whatever reason, the hose clamps don't do their job. 🙂

While I managed to replicate the shape (bends, curves, etc.) of the original fuel lines pretty much, there were a couple of points where the new line rubbed against the body so made sure I used some old fuel hose as a barrier in those spots.

• Like 2

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)

On 2/6/2024 at 2:30 PM, Stevenc22 said:

There is a special 12mm id rubber hose that goes from the tank to the fuel pump 

This, or you'll play merry hell trying to get a SAE sized hose through the hole in the trunk.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another data point.. original steel fuel line on a '73 tii

IMG_20240217_123326_copy_1638x1228.thumb.jpg.b59e3d27bf6595767fa439a9d095ecf6.jpg

Crusty and flared 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise