• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

outer tie rods or just tie rod ends?

1 hour ago, Pablo M said:

Get it close enough to test drive it around and go have it aligned. 

If you have the skill to replace the tie rods, you have the skill to align it yourself.

When I looked for a shop locally to do an alignment all I got was double talk... "Our rack is too big" 'We dont have the proper equipment" "No data for your car in our data base"

A perfect example of technology steam rolling knowledge and common sense, they had no actual understanding of the what and why.. only could do what the screen on their state of the art alignment set up told them.

Anyway, its not hard to make the tooling, (couple of 1x2s, little metal hooks, rubber bands and an old tape measure).

Theres a good post on this I think by '76mintgrün'02 

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Thanks everyone. I do have to say I've had trouble finding parts on Blunttech website. Searching for tie rod ends, and other variations of that, did not bring up those parts. 

• Like 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

1 minute ago, tech71 said:

If you have the skill to replace the tie rods, you have the skill to align it yourself.

When I looked for a shop locally to do an alignment all I got was double talk... "Our rack is too big" 'We dont have the proper equipment" "No data for your car in our data base"

A perfect example of technology steam rolling knowledge and common sense, they had no actual understanding of the what and why.. only could do what the screen on their state of the art alignment set up told them.

Anyway, its not hard to make the tooling, (couple of 1x2s, little metal hooks, rubber bands and an old tape measure).

Theres a good post on this I think by '76mintgrun'02

I may try that one day. But for now I will take it to the shop that used to align my race car. They do know what theyre doing, no double talk.

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

Just now, Pablo M said:

I do have to say I've had trouble finding parts on Blunttech website. Searching for tie rod ends, and other variations of that, did not bring up those parts. 

I usually just use the "select your vehicle" option

and type in year/make/model,

then click on "shop for parts"

and use the category menu to find them. 

I went to "Steering" to find the inner ends.

2 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I usually just use the "select your vehicle" option

and type in year/make/model,

then click on "shop for parts"

and use the category menu to find them. 

I went to "Steering" to find the inner ends.

Thats what I usually do. Today it only brought up valve stems. It was frustrating lol. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

41 minutes ago, TobyB said:

pelican is now owned by ECS, too.

t

sadly

I heard. I stopped shopping at ecs ages ago. As long as pelican keeps up the good service I’ll remain a customer. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

It would be good to take apart the old ones before ordering. You may find that a tube is bent or other damage. Or ends may be stuck so hard that you'll damage tubes while taking apart.

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

It would be good to take apart the old ones before ordering. You may find that a tube is bent or other damage. Or ends may be stuck so hard that you'll damage tubes while taking apart.

+1 on this bit of advice.  And FYI, it's usually the outer joints that go bad before the inner ones...

And--don't forget the center track rod; it gets just as much action as the tie rods and should also be checked for wear at the same time.  One of my 69's tie rods was so badly worn the only thing holding the ball in its socket was the rubber boot!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here's a different thought.

Given your car is at least 48 years old and it sounds like the tie rods are (?) original, I would just replace the entire unit and be done with it. However there is scope creep....the center track rod, then bushings, and before you know it a whole suspension refresh....

• Like 2

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

16 hours ago, Leucadian said:

Is it odd that the Lemforder inners have a castle nut, but the outers have a locknut?  On that note, can you just re-use the castle nut?

Yes, you should be able to reuse the castle nut if serviceable and use a new cotter pin. Lock nuts are generally one time use.    

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pablo M said:

Thanks everyone. I do have to say I've had trouble finding parts on Blunttech website. Searching for tie rod ends, and other variations of that, did not bring up those parts. 

Sorry youre having issues Pablo. If it happens again shoot us an email at sales@blunttech.com  We answer in 5 minutes, even on the weekend

• Like 4

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

+1 on this bit of advice.  And FYI, it's usually the outer joints that go bad before the inner ones...

And--don't forget the center track rod; it gets just as much action as the tie rods and should also be checked for wear at the same time.  One of my 69's tie rods was so badly worn the only thing holding the ball in its socket was the rubber boot!

mike

Mine was the same! The center link was the first thing I replaced when I bought the car October a year ago, lol. 

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Here's a different thought.

Given your car is at least 48 years old and it sounds like the tie rods are (?) original, I would just replace the entire unit and be done with it. However there is scope creep....the center track rod, then bushings, and before you know it a whole suspension refresh....

Center link already replaced, and I just finished replacing the entire front suspension (center link/shocks/springs/bushings/ball joints), less the outer tie rods. That's the last bit. 

1 hour ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

Yes, you should be able to reuse the castle nut if serviceable and use a new cotter pin. Lock nuts are generally one time use.    

The ball joints I got (Delphi) also had lock nuts instead of castle nuts, but no hole for a cotter pin, so no option to reuse castle nut.

By the way, is it important to fill that cup, the steering arm well where the ball joint nut goes, with grease? Didn't make sense to do so. 

5 minutes ago, BLUNT said:

Sorry youre having issues Pablo. If it happens again shoot us an email at sales@blunttech.com  We answer in 5 minutes, even on the weekend

No worries. For some reason I had trouble navigating your site before posting this. Sean has been great answering all my questions in the past, in my multiple orders. I tried the same searches just now and not having any trouble finding parts. Odd, but all good now. Thanks!

• Like 4

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

7 hours ago, Pablo M said:

By the way, is it important to fill that cup, the steering arm well where the ball joint nut goes, with grease? Didn't make sense to do so. 

I like to slather on anti seize in there but important to do so? I doubt it, doesn't hurt though. Aside from being a little messy next time a round😉

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris