• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My next project 1974 2002tii

I picked this up last week. 74 2002tii 

It needs assembly but rolls …hahaha. I’m 

missing the tii air box, brackets, waistline and belt line trim, door and qtr glass trim , qtr , front and rear glass

and it has the wrong wheels. 
fender flares was bolted in but the fenders wasn’t cut. Front air dam wasn’t cut great at the flare meet up. Not sure what direction I wanna take this thing.  I got it very reasonably priced. 
paid $7k.  Probably gonna drop a few grand on parts needed to get it looking right. Engine turns and is numbers matching complete . No lower dash vin plate. I couldn’t find it in the parts bin with the car. I’m gonna replace all the bushings and refreshen the suspension . Not sure if I wanna take off the flares and dam and go back to an oem look or stay turbo look and weld up the belt line and waistline holes , maybe a short euro bumper on the rear and a spoiler.
Not sure how to approach the rear bumper either. It looks slick without but not sure I wanna keep it that way.  
im also considering a m42 swap and go restomod route with some koogleworks parts. i wonder if that would be the wrong approach for a somewhat collectible e10. 
any thoughts? 
ya guys got any leads for glass and trim ? 

IMG_6367.jpeg

IMG_6366.jpeg

IMG_6368.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice snag!  You might peel up the sound deadening in the foot wells before you go too far.  On my car, at least, there was a bit of rust.

• Like 2

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

Just now, kaptanoglu said:

Nice snag!  You might peel up the sound deadening in the foot wells before you go too far.  On my car, at least, there was a bit of rust.

Absolutely. I peeled up what I could with some dry ice and it looked awesome! Still got 98% left but I’m optimistic. 

• Like 1

Wow very nice find. I  definitely vote for a full on 2002 turbo replica! It looks like your already on that track. It's the right year for a turbo. The right color white. It also already has the turbo body kit and fender flares. It's meant to be!.

I would not recommend separating a numbers matching engine from its shell unless it's just to freshen it up and add a turbocharger. If you do replace the motor, keep the engine with the car.

You've come to the right place, lots of parts and advice and sources of knowledge and history of everything 002 ever.

Congratulations and good luck.

For new glass and trim I would order it all as kits from Walloth and Nesch.com they have just about everything you could ever possibly need for an 02. They only stock good quality parts and have great tech support and shipping and you can't beat the prices. Remember in the USA we don't have to pay the VAT or value added tax like they do in Europe and they have free shipping on most orders and frequently have sales and discounts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

... and they have free shipping on most orders and frequently have sales and discounts.

Discounts all the time, but free shipping?  What do you know that I don't?  I want that secret code.  I have always paid $59 flat shipping on all orders.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

1 minute ago, bergie33 said:

Discounts all the time, but free shipping?  What do you know that I don't?  I want that secret code.  I have always paid $59 flat shipping on all orders.

Oops that's what I meant. It's pretty cheap considering it has to go across the pond.

I would check with W&N to see what qualifies for the flat rate shipping I think I read here that glass and body panels are excluded.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

17 minutes ago, 02Les said:

If you paid $7k you did real well. The Owner wanted $30k!

2781358 1e.jpg

The owner had 6 figure Porsches laying around the garage like they Prius’s at my local grocery store parking lot. This car was part of a lot that he bought.  He didn’t care at all about this gem. Although I can kinda understand, 73 Targa and a 53 356 around you can lose interest in this . Honestly, the whole situation felt like he just wanted more space for his toys.  I felt that vibe and made a low offer. He accepted and im thrilled. 
he has a 73 tii available as well but its rough he lost the engine and  has lean sale papers.  Major project though , lots of rust too.

Love the turbo bodywork, would make a fun car.  I would suggest keeping the waist trim and deleting the knee trim (a la turbo).

It appears like the flares are the IE/Kamei version (the bubbled lip), when running the Turbo front bumper with these you need to trim the front flares to sit square on the front bumper.  Not trimming them and tucking the flare ends behind the bumper makes it look off.

Excited to see you have fun with this one. 

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 1

For new glass, don’t rule out your local BMW dealership, especially if you are a CCA member.  No charge for shipping, simply pick up at their counter when it arrives.

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"