• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sputter is 50 today (and Lisa and I celebrate our 38th)

I'm not sure how accurate manufacturing date is in the Registry, but Sputter appears to have been built 50 years ago today. 

My father-in-law purchased it new and drove it for a bit.  Lisa's brothers drove (and wrecked) it for a few years, until one of them had it until about 2010, when he put it on a trailer to me in Chicago.

Ben Thongsai got it running again, and when I picked it up he said, "If you bring it back again with those wheels on it, I won't work on it." (it had some hideous alloys that my BIL's girlfriend got him).  I got some used steelies off of this forum, just so I could have access to a great mechanic.

A couple of years later, my oldest was driving when the head gasket bailed.  One thing leads to another, and we started a full resto, now over 10 years ago.  The Werk Shop in Chicago did some beautiful work, but the mechanic that was on it apparently didn't believe in Loctite or torqueing bolts, so we did have to chase some maladies.

The engine we had rebuilt (not at the Werk Shop) lost a wrist pin, and Terry Sayther let me help rebuild it a couple of years ago.

After being out of action for over a year with electrical issues, Brandon Littleton got me back in action, I fixed some loose-bolt door maladies and am back on the road, with about 25,000 miles since the resto.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all at MidAm 

• Like 15

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

Congrats to both auspicious events!!

• Like 2

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Sputter is not quite a month younger than Ludwig and looking good.  Congrats to both car and y'all for those anniversaries.

But...inquiring minds want to know--and see--those alloy wheels that gave Ben apoplexy...pictures, please 😁.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Congratulations John and Lisa,

Having had the pleasure to drive along with Sputter (+ Lisa and John); can only attest it is a gorgeous 02 with an even better story since Lisa’s dad, Ralph was the original owner. 

Happy anniversary

• Like 3

JP

Congratulations!  I'm actually interested in seeing more of the "Trunk mounted tool box hand carved by Ralph Kelly, the original owner, from Pau Ferro (Brazilian ironwood)"!  I have a feeling your trunk is nicer than my whole car! 

• Like 3

1971 Riviera 2002 ("Kate")

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

..inquiring minds want to know--and see--those alloy wheels that gave Ben apoplexy...pictures, please 😁.

All evidence has been destroyed.

If memory serves, they were four spoke "modern" (in the 80's) wheels.  After a few minutes of searching "ugly wheels 80s", this is as close as I could get --- To be fair to BIL's girlfriend, they weren't quite this ugly

image.png.0ff0f6a90ce940aa65efb3d8a3ed1c88.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

1 hour ago, kaptanoglu said:

After a few minutes of searching "ugly wheels 80s",

At least they weren't Panda wheels...

mike

• Haha 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, johnnyb said:

Congratulations!  I'm actually interested in seeing more of the "Trunk mounted tool box hand carved by Ralph Kelly, the original owner, from Pau Ferro (Brazilian ironwood)"!  I have a feeling your trunk is nicer than my whole car! 

image.png.af2d0e12d17d38a59107054e564105cd.png

There is a chance, depending on the condition of your car 😉

Ralph also had a Bavaria (which I later purchased as a parts car for another Bavaria), and liked having a tool box mounted on the trunk lid.  Since our awesome little cars were econoboxes, BMW didn't put them in..... so he hand carved one.  Most of these tools are original to when he built it (in the early 80's), though I had to ebay scrounge a few that went missing during my BILs ownership.   And, yes, that is all stainless hardware, and yes, that is a marine light that comes on when you open the trunk.

It is the coolest part of the car

Edited by kaptanoglu
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

To say that I was impressed the first time I saw Sputter is an understatement.  I was still working in 2015, but winding down, looking ahead to a time when my time would be my own again and I could get a tii (which would be my third 02) to work on and enjoy.  I had just watched Wheeler Dealers trot out a very original and pretty nice ‘74 tii in Fjord Blue that had been garaged in Los Angeles for 17 years and was glum to think how hard it would be to find one like that. Then on September 29 on my return from a business trip to Japan, in the parking garage at IAH I spied this:image.thumb.jpeg.42172c660ab258e16a2435bf4b7618ad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c87e8556efc290ad3f22073763960aad.jpeg

I jumped out of my Infiniti and snapped a few choice pix, thinking “that would be a good one to get!”  Since 02s (much less nice 02s) are pretty rare in Houston, I thought there was a good chance I’d see it again.  Sure enough, one day I was in Revival Market on Heights Blvd and there it sat on the curb on the corner with White Oak.  John, you may recall seeing me there “doing more research” (none dare call it stalking) and that you were kind enough to give me a quick showing — including that incredible toolbox. Needless to say, an encounter both uplifting and depressing, as I thought about the car’s family history and the fact that it was never comin’ a-loose.

Fast forward four years and things came full circle when Zouave came available on BAT in May 2019.  Zouave being the very same car that had appeared on Wheeler Dealers in 2015.  What was it Commander Quincy Taggart said?  “Never give up!”IMG_7892.thumb.jpeg.5b02994638b5fc794dec448568b28773.jpeg

If I were any kind of owner I’d know Zoauve’s birthday (2781237, if anyone would like to tell me).  In any event, John, right behind you as always!🤣

• Like 6

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

@0257 They could almost be twins (and our VINs are < 300 apart, with Sputter being the older twin).

You saw Sputter back then looking as good as it ever looked, just on the heels of the resto.  We've put on another 20K miles or so since then, but it still looks pretty shiny for a 50 year old car.

I do remember running into you, and am tickled that you found a great car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0257 said:

If I were any kind of owner I’d know Zoauve’s birthday (2781237, if anyone would like to tell me).

Send the VIN to info (dot) grouparchiv at bmwgroup (dot) com and they will send you the birthday.

Mark92131

• Like 2

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Funny coincidences.  We also went out to dinner tonight to celebrate our Freude’s (2780988) 50th Birthday. The other coincidence is that Ben Thongsai also performed a roadside healing of Freude’s Kugelfisher belt in record time on the way to the 2021 Vintage in Hot Springs. Story at the link below. Wonderful machines, pure driving pleasure, great community.

Luckiest Person at the Vintage 2021

• Like 2

John McConaghy

1974 2002tii Verona 2780988

1972 2002tii Chamonix 2761282 (wish I'd never sold)

Freude am Fahren

Mine (Franz) had its 50th birthday in February of 23. Still going strong and creating miles of smiles. Build date: February 20, 1973.

Edited by Jim_75Sahara
add data
  • Like 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz