• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

235/5 CR Trans

markmac

After god only knows how long (afraid to look), I re-collected my 235/5 trans yesterday, completely refurbished.  Pretty stoked.

Ended up having to source out a used output flange sight unseen.  I noticed that two of the ears are a bit dinged up, looks like someone maybe used a tool to hold on to it while it was being removed (who knows and doesn't really matter at this point).  Walloth Nesch had these new, then they didn't, then they did......too late.

So then the question is, is good to go as is, or do I need to take it off, have someone weld on it and then clean up the ears?  This is getting attached to a 270hp motor, I don't want to blow the thing up right out of the start.

PXL_20231129_155244127.jpg

PXL_20231129_155251846.jpg

PXL_20231129_155302392.jpg

Hello Mark,

Is this the same type of output flange as used on a regular 242 4-speed?  If so, what type of splines does it have?  If it's a course splined type (10 ZAHNE), then I might have a new one for you.  Let me know.

John

OutputFlange.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

New is always better than used.  Always.  As mentioned, it is specific to the 235/5.  WN doesn't have them in stock, Retro Engineering in the UK was re-making them.  I contacted them to buy but never heard back (so that means the customer service is dog sh&t).  This was an Ebay purchase, all the way from Uruguay.  It wasn't inexpensive to buy or to ship.  I didn't notice the blown out hole(s) just the dinged up ears.

I can't put anything marginal back into the car (as far as driveline anyway), it will just get blown up, probably pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Email sent to these guys again.  There isn't really many options here, most folks don't have them laying around on a shelf.

WWW.RETRO-ENGINEERING.CO.UK

23 21 1 200 467 Rear output flange. We have just had these re made in steel. These have been made to run with the 2002 type rubber joint or the 1800

What specifically makes it unique to the C/R gearbox?  Do you have specs for both flanges? 

If the bolt hole spacing is the same (same guibo as the other 4 and 5 speeds) and the coarse splines are the same as those boxes prior to January '74, then could you modify the 4 speed flange to work?  

Another thought, to at least get you back on the road--keeping in mind not to stress things by doing burnouts:  take some steel tubing with an 8mm ID, open out the existing bolt holes, weld the tubing sections in place to make the holes round again, then magnaflux and balance.  Might be the long way round, but it beats a car that can't be driven at all...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 minutes ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

After noticing w/n is out of stock again...That bloke has one here :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254785050848

If it were me...Id tell that seller in SA the part was unusable and to hook you up. 

Pretty uncool really, he sells or tries to sell a lot of 235/5 stuff on ebay.  I feel like that damage was / is obvious enough to not re-sell the part (regardless of the power the car is making).  Unfortunately, it is the way it is these days.

• Sad 2

That part number also shows application on BMW 2000 Neue Klasse models and the early 5 series. Possible alternate search sources?

It can’t be real but Pelican has it available for purchase? (Special Order, which likely means no).

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info2/23211200467.htm

These guys say it’s deliverable with 1-3 days. In stock? No way..

https://www.online-teile.com/bmw-ersatzteile/23211200467_Output-Flange.html?language=en

• Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

33 minutes ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

After noticing w/n is out of stock again...That bloke has one here :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254785050848

If it were me...Id tell that seller in SA the part was unusable and to hook you up. 

The C/R flange has 14 splines, the other two versions for four speeds are 10 and 27 spline. I probably would consult a very good machinist to evaluate repairs/magnafluxing, etc on that existing flange. I do see your common sense that you suggested on reserved usage.