• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

235/5 CR Trans

markmac

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing a little work trying to finish this thing off.  Bought a shift platform (235/5) off of a board member, he threw in what was supposed to be a 235/5 shift tower support strut.  As you might imagine, both are shorter versions than a 4sp.  On the support strut, I didn't look at it closely (and regardless it was free).  Neither of those parts are available so if you need them, you are making them.  Good news is that you can make them from their 4sp brothers (cutting and or cutting and welding).

1st, getting the old raunchy bearing out, first task. Torch makes it easy.  Getting the metal bearing sleeve out is much more difficult.  Heated it up a few times and tried to knock it out.  No dice.  Used a skinny little file to file through it in a couple of places and a sharp tool to knock it out.  Done

Bad news is you have to cut the strut to the right length.  Measure twice, cut once.  I think I measured 3x, still cut wrong.  The pic doesn't show the completed part, I rounded off the top similar to the piece I cut off and then drilled the hole.

I didn't have the platform parallel to the trans, was sagging just a hair as I didn't have everything tightened up all the way.  It ended up being short by just a hair.  Solution is at the moment to space out the bracket that holds the bushed end with some washers and enlarge the hole from 8mm on the shift tower, the combo of the two allowed for enough adjustability to get it level. 

Alot of hassle because I didn't have the right part, and then effed up the part I was modifying.

1 (1).jpg

1(2).jpg

1 (3).jpg

1 (4).jpg

• Like 3

Oh my......Gold Star for you Joness.  Unreal, I have had this car over 20 yrs and really never looked at that detail (and why would I when installing a transmission was soooooo far off).  I bought this car sight unseen and then had it shipped to a friend in the South.  The idea was to do a 'freshen up' only, then go drive it and have some fun.  Well, the rest of the story is a looooooong one.  Needless to say it is about as enxtensive restoration as you can get (short of the Porsche 356 Carrera that was at the bottom of a lake for 40 years, found and the restored....or some such).

The car came back to me a cuple of years later, epoxy primered shell and everything in boxes.  The shift tower never made it - apparently because there wasn't one.  

It's interesting that Alpina went to the trouble to fabricate that bit (to save some weight??  Really?), but then that is what they did.  There may be, but I can't think of another reason why they would.  Hmmmmmnnn.

I have enough parts to build another 235/5 so now at least I will have a complete shift tower for that transmission.  Kind of embarrassing really.

PXL_20240125_175821591.MP.jpg

• Haha 1

I have almost the same attachment in my car, therefore I was a little confused to use the platform.

I know the history of your car Mark. Have followed it since you bought the car 😉

20220408_164119.jpg

20220922_202530.jpg

I bought a new shift rod from E30. Cut it in two parts to a suitable length. Made an axel that fit inside the shift rod tube. Drill a hole in each piece of pipe. Tig weld in the hole to secure the axle internally, and then weld together the pipe. You can see that the ends are twisted in different directions. It's because my gearshift mount is to the right. You will probably have to do the same, otherwise the angle from the gearbox to the gear lever will be too large.

Namnlös.jpg

Edited by Götesson
  • Like 2

Remarkable work on your car, it's a thing of beauty really.  Super clean.

It is impossible to know now if there are missing parts/pieces.  I would think that things should hook up as they are now.......but then I haven't had that kind of luck with virtually anything.  I do have an empty case for another 235/5 so when the time comes, I can push it on up in there and see what things look like. Glad you saw this thread.

• Like 1

If you look at my pic, there is very nice layer of dirt and dust (everywhere).  I've gotten over it, it is what it is for now, and there isn't any glass in it other than the windshield.

I think Jonas must be running a negative pressure air system to have satin black paint look that good.....👌

Jonas, I was looking at some of the other.  Clearly this shift rod isn't 'factory'.  I am figuring that they cut it up and spliced in a piece to make it a little bit longer (I'll have to measure and see what the length is), longer than the standard 235/5 for sure but shorter than a 232.  Just guessing but moving the engine back a few inches in the engine bay and possibly driver position required it to get longer.  No question the work on the tunnel and fabricating the shift tower into the body was Alpina's work - I saw some of the work the Italians did while they owned it (not good, actually bad, really bad).

PXL_20231222_162636633 (1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This was the final solution to the 235/5 shift platform/support strut dilemma - the one that I don't need (at least for this car).  McMaster Carr 8mm threaded rod and 8mm rod ends.  I'll bag and tag the parts and in a box they go.....

PXL_20240203_230846152.jpg

• Like 2