• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Jax Lift?

its55
Go to solution Solved by tech71,

Considering a Max Jax lift.  Only concern at the moment is the "4.25" concrete slab requirement.  According to my home plans, my slab is 4".  Never heard of "4.25" in all my construction years; its either 4, 6, 8 or ...

Anyway I plan to confirm the slab thickness regardless.  I would be curious to know anyone else's installation experiences, including slab thickness, as well as satisfaction w/ the Max Jax.

Thanks!

Your plan calls for a 4" slab but it was almost certainly the forms used were 2x4s so in reality you should have 3 1/2" slab. I know many people have opted to cut 2 16" or so squares and add extra depth where the mount points are. Your lifting a light car but if a hold down bolt were to pull loose it might be a bad day for you and your car.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• Solution
On 8/17/2023 at 3:25 PM, its55 said:

According to my home plans, my slab is 4".

Thats what my home plans said as well but they must have been a little short on concrete... Slab near exterior wall and foundation was a little over 4in but the test hole other side was around 3 in and mostly aggregate, wasn't going to work had to put in a footing on that side. 

I also purchased and installed the epoxy anchor kit, I recommend it especially if your slab is iffy/ strength unknown. It just works better than pounding in the expansion anchors. Especially in marginal slabs. The kit comes with the special anchors and only 1 tube of epoxy... buy 2 more😉if you dont use them you can return. I purchased my extra tubes from Home Depot.

A semi permanent install is far better than dragging the posts out (those suckers are heavy!),snaking hoses on the floor, bleeding system every time you need to use it, a total PITA.

Trying to avoid time consuming back breaking labor here, not swap one crappy task(Jackstands) with another.

I mounted the pump motor on some stringers on wall, added a longer hose on outer side suspended from ceiling with hooks.

Follow the instructions on bleeding religiously! I didn't, it got ugly, still cleaning up hydraulic oil .

It was a challenge to install especially solo but now that its up it works great and I love it.

Dont think I could ever go back to jack stands now.

3AD3F52F-3703-4C9C-BF72-71AD85D49EAC.thumb.jpeg.5386b453d6e5fd657ccf43dd24c22be3.jpeg

06DC86AD-AC60-4BA5-A0BC-3A2260BD6066.thumb.jpeg.f7f471cceb4d3405b40c5840cf055507.jpeg

572D01DA-28F9-4207-9950-B99A7FB90D35.thumb.jpeg.cf015af8977e3d38a5752d3db2032b12.jpeg

IMG_2474.thumb.JPG.af296073a8b88fedcb29aa7867846d65.jpeg

IMG_2476.thumb.JPG.4d63dda6eca08a9c9b86d6f81d13071c.jpeg

FBE48722-CDCB-4C65-B4B5-2AF0A451D08B.jpeg

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Thanks for the detailed write up and photos. Not something I can do at moment but I'd like to someday.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

I went from a two pole to a  Twin Busch TW S3-10E. For a small garage, the scissor lift is great because you can park on top of it and it doesn't require any shop air. The one I'm using has 4 feet of lift and no center bars. 

• Like 1

My buddy has one and loves it. He carts it out once a year and leaves it in place long enough to service all the cars.  His project car is a 360 Modena, so sometimes the lift is out for awhile.  He hasn’t had any issues. I’ve used it and wrenched under it, they’re pretty great. If I had the space, I’d definitely spring for one (the jack, not the 360). 

I was lucky, the slab in my garage was just over 4".  I installed the posts with the MaxJax anchors, torqued them to spec, and left them in place.  Well worth the investment for me, and if I move, it will be coming with me.  Perfect for the 2002, but I don't think I would be comfortable working under my wife's Porsche Cayenne.

Mark92131

IMG_3134.JPG

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

If you slab cant support the Max Jack, consider a Quick jack. I love mine. Easy to store under the vehicle when not in use, less than 5 minutes to setup when needed. Doesn't lift as high as max jack but still lifts high enough for most jobs.

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

On 8/19/2023 at 8:00 PM, MarcD said:

The one I'm using has 4 feet of lift and no center bars.

I think with a setup of an adjustable height aircraft mechanics chair like this would work really well. I wish they weren't so expensive! 

website2_1800x1800.thumb.jpg.43f28c5cd607a52a64024232650ef2c0.jpg

Edited by BarrettN
  • Like 1

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

8/22/2023

I just received this add stating the Max-Jack is on sale at Home Depot.  Good news is saving $546.00.  Bad news, 5 is the limit.  I guess one could travel to different stores??

Image8-22-23at8_31AM.thumb.jpg.75113bb64737c0b01d989520eafdf8cf.jpg

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

I appreciate all the responses!  Ultimately I decided against any lifts, after researching and laying out all necessary post locations in my garage. The posts in my case would cause far too much inconvenience due to access requirements. So, I shall remain working comfortably on my back while saving lots of money. 😂

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 7:38 AM, its55 said:

I appreciate all the responses!  Ultimately I decided against any lifts, after researching and laying out all necessary post locations in my garage. The posts in my case would cause far too much inconvenience due to access requirements. So, I shall remain working comfortably on my back while saving lots of money. 😂

For all these reasons I picked up a set of Quick Jacks.  Super easy to move around and because the load is spread out the concrete is not an issue.  Now I won't even change wheels without rolling these under the car since they make it so easy to lift.

• Like 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

23 hours ago, Ian said:

For all these reasons I picked up a set of Quick Jacks.  Super easy to move around and because the load is spread out the concrete is not an issue.  Now I won't even change wheels without rolling these under the car since they make it so easy to lift.

Thought about these as well, however I like sliding under the car from the sides and these block access.  They would definitely be ideal for tire / brake work.  Of course, the stuff also has be be stored against the walls which takes up space...