• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Embarking on a year+ long U.S. road trip in my 02

toddfx

UPDATE 1/14/2024: I've just posted a progress report of the first 5 months on the road, you can find it on page 3 of the thread!

Over the past couple of years I've fallen absolutely in love with road tripping in my 2002. Based out of LA, I've driven the CA coast up to Oregon and back twice, zig-zagged throughout the entire span of the Sierras, taken countless trips to the Bay Area exploring every possible route there, visited every CA national park, every forest (except Modoc), every desert, driven all the officially designated scenic routes, and then some. Going out and getting lost in this car has turned into my absolute favorite hobby...by a long shot.

I've been working from home for the last few years as well, sitting at home in front of the computer all day every day in my tiny LA apartment, and have finally started to wonder what the heck I'm doing. If I have the opportunity to work remotely, shouldn't I be out there doing what I enjoy most in life: exploring new places? I've spoken to others in my line of work (computer graphics) who have had success working full time from AirBnBs, and after looking into some options I discovered the cost to book a month in most cities is actually CHEAPER than my LA rent, not even including utilities and such...

So the next question was, what vehicle should I really take on an adventure like this? My SUV? A van? The 2002? Ultimately it wasn't too difficult of a decision at all, as answer was pretty obvious to me from the beginning:

PXL_20230811_194108676_CC.thumb.jpg.d0fa7aed500fca472d9cdb77aa3a8513.jpg

PXL_20230811_194022404_CC.thumb.jpg.5797d92abf2ac69ed2f8ba9805972ae2.jpg

So yeah, the plan is to work out of AirBnBs for ~1 month at a time in various cities, then at the end of each month have the opportunity to take an epic road trip through some place new to reach the next destination. I have the first 10 months booked out already, and have just officially departed LA this past Friday!

I'm in Monterey, CA right now to check out some of the Car Week festivities, attend Legends, Breakfast Club Rally, and the Rolex. I'm camping at the race track Thurs-Sun, and then on Sunday morning I hit the road east to Fort Collins, CO which will be my first stop for the month of September. I'm giving myself a full week to meander from Monterey to Fort Collins, taking several days to explore a bunch of Utah and camp along the way. 

2023planv007_forFAQ.thumb.jpg.344d347e9fc6fb86120271ddfb25be87.jpg

I'm reaching out to you fine folks now to gather some inspiration, recommendations, and generally just try to network. Based on my map above, let me know if you have any suggestions or tips regarding things such as:

• BMW specialty shops and/or folks in various western states who might be able to help along the way if/when something goes wrong with the car.
  • Awesome roads - I'll be avoiding the interstate as much as possible of course, seeking out back roads and scenic routes. I'm not afraid of dirt/gravel roads, either.
  • Camping locations - Aside from driving the 02, I also love taking it camping and intend to fill many weekends with off-grid adventures.
  • Car clubs/meets - I'm hoping to cross paths with some local vintage car communities in the cities I visit if the timing works out. I especially love driving oriented events. 

I'm pretty active on Instagram, so if you'd like to follow along on the adventure my handle is @toddkay
If you don't have Instagram, I also started this blog which I'll keep updated: https://www.travel.toddkumpf.com/

Anyway, like I said I'm in Monterey this week, so let me know if you're here too! Looking forward to meeting some of you at Legends perhaps.

P.S. My 5-speed speedometer cable has recently stopped working, soo I don't currently have a working speedo or odometer. Let me know if you happen to have a spare long cable for a 5-speed!😅
Edited by toddfx
  • Like 10

If you're curious what all I'll be hauling for a journey like this, here's an outline:

I'll be carrying all my computer equipment to work remotely out of the AirBnBs, a bunch of camping gear for the road trips and weekend activities, camera gear, 2-3 weeks of clothes, a stash of food and water, a Yeti cooler, and a variety of other odds and ends. I'm sure you're wondering how the heck I'm going to fit everything in the car... Well, I've been quite busy trying to figure that out myself. 

Over the last few months I've been making a number of tweaks to the 02 to expand the cargo capacity. Luckily the rear seat had already been deleted by previous owner Mike D, so I had a pretty clean slate to work with.

In the trunk I hand built two custom road cases: one to hold my computer and camera gear, and another to act as a camping supply loadout bin.

For my clothes I had three heavy duty duffle bags custom made to fit the dimensions I had to work with, and then to support them I designed and welded up a little luggage rack.

PXL_20230814_010157317_MP.thumb.jpg.41f02904f6ac8b551e504684d17beba5.jpg

The center section of the rack is hinged to allow access to the camping and emergency supplies below. Not pictured here, but I also made new trunk floor panels which are broken up into smaller access panels, allowing me to easily retrieve smaller stuff stashed in every nook and cranny around the spare wheel.

PXL_20230814_010350071.thumb.jpg.2d033ba3bd7807f08ced02362b014fcb.jpg

Like I said, the rear seat was already deleted in my car, which was fantastic for hauling supplies during my previous multi-week road trips around CA. However it was always a pretty big unorganized mess back there, so I knew I'd need to improve on that for any sort of long term use. I used extruded aluminum to put together a framework which houses 3 drawers, has hinged access from the top, and has space for the cooler. It's pretty spacious back there, so behind the drawers is room for 2 good sized toolboxes and then tons of spare parts nestled into any craves I could find. The rear floor wells are especially filled to the brim with parts and maintenance related bits.

PXL_20230814_011021415.thumb.jpg.47138889c726393d1e3c088f2f4a7766.jpg

PXL_20230814_011146140.thumb.jpg.e7b17de7435e3ae1e2296eedc7012a03.jpg

I'm a 3D artist by trade and hobby, so I was able to scan the interior of my car and then build a CAD model of everything prior to construction. For you purists, trust that I made a conscious effort at every stage to drill as few holes as possible!

Like I said I just now departed this past Friday, so it's a bit too early to say how well it'll work long term but it absolutely feels promising. The first weekend out I camped in Big Sur, which worked out great. There will always be adjustments and adaptations to be made along the way, but that's all part of challenge! 

Edited by toddfx
  • Like 19

Todd, you're living out our collective dream. Had no idea you were making those modifications - extremely impressive! I'll be following alone. I'm using this as inspiration, when I sell a car, I want to do something similar. 

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

That is amazing, CONGRATULATIONS, many years ago I passed up the opportunity for a open ended cross country road trip with my college roomate , and I still regret it, hit the road Jack and never look back.... ( yoo know the song, ) the mods to the 02 are great, have a blast and keep us house bound old fogies posted, good luck 

As somebody who lives the remote work lifestyle i'm enviously loving this and want to somehow follow along. Are you blogging here or do you have an Instagram handle?

When i put my interior back together I'm seriously considering deleting the rear seat. I think @esty even sells a carpet for such a mod. Originality aside, it's way more practical to leave room for camping and luggage gear. I never like keeping more than i had to in the trunk because contents coming out of it already wreaked of fumes. Something to consider with what you decide to keep in there.

Good luck out there!

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

Your idea of staying in one location for a month or so is a good one, as it will give you time to order/install parts if that becomes necessary.  And it'll give you an opportunity to meet and greet the local 02ers in your temporary location. 

Come next spring, move one of your work sites a little further east and you'll be within spittin' distance of Eureka Springs AR for the 2024 edition of Mid America 02Fest.  Go even further east and there's The Vintage near Asheville NC.

Cheers, safe travels...and have a ball (but don't forget to work!)

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This is fantastic. Just fantastic. I will be following you.

The mods to your car are really nice. Love it all. 

Looks like you may already be on Scenic Route 12 in southern Utah, but, if not, you should do it. Lots of awesome things along the way, a fun and beautiful road. Aside from the obvious National Parks and Forests, don't miss the hike to Calf Creek Falls. 

Absolutely brilliant! 

Utah will still be pretty hot in August and early September. My favorite car camping spot with the 02 is Cowboy camp

near Canyonlands Island in the Sky. Don't venture too far off on dirt roads without knowing where you are going!

It will be a good time for the high country in CO. Kebler Pass is good dirt road on the way to Crested Butte for dispersed camping...alot of forest service campgrounds close around the 1st of September.  

New Castle CO is on the way to Ft Collins if you need anything...

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Just one suggestion- air springs.  Then you can adjust your (rear) attitude for loaded or unloaded travel.

I spent July in the E46: cross- county to western Ontario and then down to NYS.  So I'm not particularly jealous...

And I, too, have been wondering what the hell I'm doing- since about 1991...

t

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

49 minutes ago, slowbert said:

Drop me a line when you get to Ft. Collins - I live in the area.  Happy to have you over for drinks or whatever.

And maybe a hamburger at the A&&W. :)

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.