• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound deadening

1602bmw

I'm planning on getting round to replacing the carpet soon and will also be replacing the sound deadening at the same time. Hopefully this will make it more bearable on long journeys, but was also thinking, is it possible to sound deaden the doors too? I haven't taken the door cards off before so not sure if this is viable. Will window mechanisms etc. get in the way?

There is/was factory sound deadening on the outer skin.  It was one piece placed in a *edit* RECTANGLE orientation on a chunk of the cars I’ve seen.

as for the inner panel, sure you can add some there.  I did the recessed portions so as to not make it difficult to install the door panels over top.

*edit* Traced the shapes, then transferred to the sound deadening material (I like Hushmat, as it doesn't have as foul of a smell as some of the china-sourced cheaper amazon options).

IMG-1100

IMG-1125

• Like 4

They're all always noisy, always were and will be in comparison to modern cars regardless of what you do.

And that's part of the charm.

The wind noise and sporty exhaust will overcome any sound deadening.

So just drive at 4000 RPM or above, roll the windows down, open the sunroof, and turn up the 8 track.

Make mine a Pioneer with the fancy lockable tray.

And The Stones, gotta have the Stones. Or Marley, because he had a 2002.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ha! I did that today for 3 hrs, sat at about 4k rpm (although with some LTJ Bukem rather than The Stones). Gave me time to think about noise reduction, and yes I think you may be right but worth a try 😎

• Like 3

I'd be leery of using felt padding under the carpet, especially in the front, unless you live in the Atacama desert.  If the carpets get wet--water tracked in or a leak, the felt will stay wet for weeks, and will start rusting your floors.  I've used scraps of "rebond" carpet padding.  You can usually get scraps for free from a carpet store, or buy a few square yards of "pet proof" padding (it doesn't absorb liquids, whether water or dog pee).  

An amazing amount of noise while underway emanates from the differential area, magnified by the sound box created by all that empty space under the rear seat.  I cheap and ecologically friendly way to deaden the noise is to fill a couple of appropriately sized plastic bags with styrofoam peanuts (or just broken up smallish pieces) and stash 'em under the back seat.  It really makes a difference.  And if you're sure your rear window isn't leaking, you can use blocks of upholstery foam.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I installed Scosche Accumat in my the doors, quarter panels and trunk of my 02 about 10 years ago. This made a huge difference in the ambient noise in the car, particularly at freeway speeds. Since then, a number of products have come out that probably work better than the material I installed. I suggest "Fat Mat" if you want to go this route.

I don't agree with the "02s are noisy, just live with it" rationale. That is kind of like, 02s are what they are, why try and improve them? I understand and respect the "originality is all" approach. My 02 philosophy is make the car the car you want to drive, as long as you don't do anything that can't be undone for someone who wants originality. Not sure if is really possible to make a change that can't be undone, but I have never modded my car with anything that can't be unbolted (and the sound deadening can be stripped off).

I remember is a comment made by the owner of the shop I occasionally take my car to, who is an ex-BMW dealer shop manager, certified BMW mechanic, etc., and an 02 fan. When he first drove my car, he said he couldn't believe how quite it was at speed.

• Like 2

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

I use DuraPad on the floor and tunnel it makes a big difference, sealing the holes on the interior door as shown above with the thinner sound deadening material helps as well…deadening material helps as well

743E64DD-2B4D-4372-8680-CA7DB77CF74C.jpeg

9A24E3D9-F9AE-455A-8E0C-00611007F7EF.jpeg

• Like 3

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

I'd get that big red wire in a wire loom for protection Harv. Hate to see one of your nifty cars take on an electrical snap, crackle,pop.   Rice  Krispies.     :)

dlm ny country

Edited by dlmrun2002

On 5/20/2023 at 5:31 PM, 1602bmw said:

Ha! I did that today for 3 hrs, sat at about 4k rpm (although with some LTJ Bukem rather than The Stones). Gave me time to think about noise reduction, and yes I think you may be right but worth a try 😎

Haven't thought about LTJ Bukem in a long time!  I only had one of the Progression Sessions albums. I still have a soft spot for Drum n' Bass! I ebayed some DJ Dara albums a few years ago since you can't stream any of that stuff and I lost all my originals.  

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:27 PM, Mike Self said:

I'd be leery of using felt padding under the carpet, especially in the front, unless you live in the Atacama desert.  If the carpets get wet--water tracked in or a leak, the felt will stay wet for weeks, and will start rusting your floors.  I've used scraps of "rebond" carpet padding.  You can usually get scraps for free from a carpet store, or buy a few square yards of "pet proof" padding (it doesn't absorb liquids, whether water or dog pee).  

An amazing amount of noise while underway emanates from the differential area, magnified by the sound box created by all that empty space under the rear seat.  I cheap and ecologically friendly way to deaden the noise is to fill a couple of appropriately sized plastic bags with styrofoam peanuts (or just broken up smallish pieces) and stash 'em under the back seat.  It really makes a difference.  And if you're sure your rear window isn't leaking, you can use blocks of upholstery foam.  

mike

I followed your advice when I replaced my rear seat this winter.  I placed carpet padding behind and below both seat sections.  I also placed fabric bags with packing peanuts under the rear seat bottom.  Worked well and noise is down considerably.IMG_0509.thumb.jpeg.12ba91e2e6a949718d0c59381e10e26c.jpeg