• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker Shaft Problems

jb2002tii

My dad and I pulled the valve cover today, anyone have some guidance on next steps? Am I looking at rebuilding rocker arms? Full head rebuild? Is the broken piece the rocker washer? Should I be worried that it’s made it’s way down in to the block? Is the rocker on the 1 intake valve missing parts?

D8BB4010-384C-4D3D-9074-55743C162107.jpeg

A00DD7B1-1799-4302-976F-94385D3A7B2C.jpeg

1AAE8639-9811-4E11-86B2-32C05EF1798C.jpeg

7BD3A2A4-A7B5-4996-B274-A4FDD4C82A6E.jpeg

6DB2C878-9AE0-4026-9C76-302368B6AD1D.jpeg

Edited by jb2002tii
  • Confused 1

The broken piece is the thrust ring that retains the clip. That has two crappy welds on the rocker shaft. If it were me, I wouldn't trust anything with that head. I would rebuild it and have the head thoroughly checked. You will have to cut out the rocker shaft because those welds are in the way of it just sliding out. 

Edited by bergie33
  • Like 6

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Yeah those spots are welds, not entirely sure what’s going on but apparently not good. Thinking at this point might just pull the engine entirely. Fuel injection pump has to be pulled for a rebuild and now this, at least cleaning up the wiring will be easier with the engine out?

Saving that head will be a challenge. The rockers themselves look ok, but that mutilated shaft will either need to be cut in-situ, or those welded high spots ground down before the shaft will pull out. Before starting work, check the head is worth saving: look closely for hairline cracks between inlet&exhaust or between valve & waterway....also check the thickness is 128mm at least...only if those items are good is it worth trying to extract that shaft.

• Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Never seen such a hack job for head rebuild. Be sure to check everything if some of it is going to be re-used. Right hardware seems to be missing here and there and on the oil feed there's some thick spacer that looks weird.

If the same guy touched the bottom end it would be really interesting to see what is found there.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 3

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

If the reason the valve cove was removed was fix a problem, then the above advice is all good and you are in for a bunch of work.

If it was to adjust the valves, then do so and put the cover on and run it because it will take a bunch of money if you are not prepared to spend. 

The condition is not the end of the world, but not far from it.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

@TobyB, you're gonna like this one.

17 minutes ago, jimk said:

If the reason the valve cove was removed was fix a problem, then the above advice is all good and you are in for a bunch of work. If it was to adjust the valves, then do so and put the cover on and run it because it will take a bunch of money if you are not prepared to spend. 

^ Jim makes a good point.

5 hours ago, tzei said:

I wouldn’t trust this engine. Disassembly & inspection to all parts would help me sleep if this was my engine.

^ Agree.

• Like 1

I'm sure that "fix" was how a previous owner corrected a potential catastrophe without having to pull the head.  But unless the PO performed some similar hacks elsewhere in the engine, what you see (those welds) aren't necessarily gonna cause a catastrophic failure anytime soon.  You can probably continue driving it as it is-- for an undefinable while.   

So, to slightly misquote Dirty Harry, "Are ya feelin' lucky....?"  And if you go into the head to make this repair, the slippery slope you're standing on could turn into a full overhaul, top and bottom end.  You need to be prepared to do the whole thing, or simply drive it as it is until something fails.  

I once drove my '69 on three cylinders for 10-15 miles after a valve failed, pulled up through the seat and broke a rocker arm.  New valves and new rockers was all it needed.  But I was lucky--no romance between valve and piston.  Your hack repair is much less likely to cause mechanical mayhem..but it could.  Eventually.  

Your decision:  fingers crossed and hope for the best, or prepare to lay out $$$.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It hadn’t been started in a year. Ran when we bought it but pretty quickly wouldn’t start. Took a long break from working on it until we chased down a couple minor electrical, fuel, and ignition issues recently. Got it turned over and running the other night only to have the kugelfischer pump start leaking fuel so shut it off after a couple seconds. So while removing the pump to send off for a rebuild we pulled the valve cover and found this mess. 😬

no idea who worked on it before. 

Then it  appears you are not getting any lubrication  To the top end.

Pull the engine, be sure to document your findings in the “Friends ... and their mechanical skills” thread

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

26 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

I'm sure that "fix" was how a previous owner corrected a potential catastrophe without having to pull the head.

I wondered that, too .. but, then, how did they install the extra/added washers on the rocker shaft (between the rocker arm and the weld)? -KB

• Like 1