• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wideband O2 sensor options

Pdxguy

Intend to get a wideband O2 sensor to make full use of the 123 ignition. Are there significant differences between the sensors? I saw in a post the size of the bung in the exhaust is one factor, are there others to consider?

Is the sensor and the gauges displaying the Information cross compatible, or more of a integrated system?

Thanks,

Dennis

3 minutes ago, Pdxguy said:

are there others to consider?

The angle of the sensor bung in the exhaust pipe for one.  (needs to have the tip angled down).  The bung position distance passed the collector, (6 to 8 inches after the pipes merge to one).  Your 2 choices for Air Fuel Ratio gauges is AEM and Innovate.  Both have good reviews, however, the older Innovate systems required a O2 sensor calibration step and the newer AEM systems uses the Bosch 4.9 sensor that doesn't need calibration.  The AEM gauge has the O2 Sensor controller in the gauge and the Innovate uses a separate controller.  There are a ton of knockoff fake AEM stuff being sold on Amazon and other sites and these claim to ship with Bosch 4.9 O2 sensors, but the sensors have no Bosch markings.

Mark92131

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I too have been considering installing an O2 sensor, but I don't want a permanent gauge on my console.

The Performance Electronics AFR unit is wireless, so you can view/tune from your phone when you need to.

Saw this on a Porsche that also had a 123 dizzy with Bluetooth. Very nice to monitor and adjust both in real-time.

John

Performance Electronics AFR.pdf

I have the older style Innovate on my car. The calibration steps are kind of goofy, but you're supposed to do it annually. Just unplug, power up and the gauge goes through a calibration cycle. Then you plug it back in, take the sensor out of the bung into atmosphere and power up again to calibrate the sensor. Takes all of 10 minutes not including putting away the jack and jackstands.

As to the sensors themselves, I've historically had good luck with

the ubiquitous Bosch for VW.  Circa 2003-5, if you're looking up a part number.

Cheap, because VW had some 'issues,' and certainly durable.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

17 hours ago, MarcD said:

While we are on the topic of Wideband O2 sensors, is there any thoughts on using the stock E21 O2 sensor bung location with a wideband sensor?

If you know for sure its not for some other purpose, both narrow band (which this would have been) and wideband use the same bung size and location requirements.  So it will work.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I am thinking of getting the Speedhut gauge/sensor.  They are a little spendy, but fully customizable in appearance.  Made here in Utah.

SPEEDHUT.COM

The ultimate aftermarket automotive gauges for any vehicle. Shop our huge selection of high-performance and customizable standalone air fuel gauges - backed by a Lifetime Warranty!

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

24 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I've read that installing a longer bung that keeps the tip of the sensor from being over-exposed will extend the life of the sensor.  

I have a used Innovate extension/riser/heat sink available.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

19 hours ago, MarcD said:

using the stock E21 O2 sensor bung location with a wideband sensor?

It’s fine. I have my bosch wb way back, about where h/brake handle apparatus is as per AEM instructions for my application and it’s good. In theory (and in practice) there is lag in response due the pipe volume & distance. Have to take in consideration when logging certain engine events.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

2 hours ago, d.hitchcock said:

I've got four years on my Innovate setup, for another data point on reliability.

Is it the MTX-L or anoter Innovate? The others are reportedly ok, but the MTX-L is really bad from my (repeated) experience.

• Like 1

I’m running a Bosch O2 sensor with a circuit board connected to a Digital LED readout mounted in my seatbelt warning pod 

it’s been running for almost 5 years

699FEFE0-691C-4CC9-A33C-729F9B641F13.thumb.jpeg.dae25979297b1695b91d199be3eabca2.jpeg

Edited by chargin
  • Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook