• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Ian claims a 2002 Turbo

dang

15 minutes ago, Conserv said:

It certainly could… seriously, now that the best turbos are in $175K+ territory.

But it’s hard to predict, and I wouldn’t be in the least surprised if it sold in the $75K to $100K range.

Best regards,

Steve

The madness of it ALL! 

• Like 1

But what do I know

3 hours ago, conkitchen said:

I want it and have the chops to do it. May attempt to buy if at the right price.  

Not telling you not to try, just giving you some info. There are 6 different people I know of personally who are planning on bidding. Three of them have seriously deep pockets.

Keep in mind that there's a chance it will never go to auction.  The insurance company probably has a contract with Copart to store their vehicles while all the details are worked out.  If the owner wants to retain the vehicle it will disappear off the site, or it could go into a legal battle and sit for a year or more, which would destroy the car(s).

Someone needs to hose those cars out with a fire hose, inside and out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

…. Buy once, cry once.  Spend the $175K on a good Turbo…

Perhaps, but not everyone shares a single view toward classic cars. I, for instance, could not imagine buying a beautiful turnkey, already-restored classic car. The restoration process is an enormous component of my interest in classic cars, and I wouldn’t miss it for the world!  

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 7

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 minute ago, Conserv said:

Perhaps, but not everyone shares a single view toward classic cars. I, for instance, could not imagine buying a beautiful turnkey, already-restored classic car. The restoration process is an enormous component of my interest in classic cars, and I wouldn’t miss it for the world!  

Best regards,

Steve

Wow, Steve!

Congrats on your purchase!

:D

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

4 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Best regards,

Steve

I feel the same as Steve, it’s my tactile relationship with the car knowing every nut / bolt, the sounds it makes and why, knowing everything about the car it is part of my bonding relationship with it…

in this instance all I can think about is somebody did not deserve a turbo if they weren’t gonna take care of it…

Barney

• Like 5

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

10 minutes ago, BarneyT said:

in this instance all I can think about is somebody did not deserve a turbo if they weren’t gonna take care of it…

I agree totally!  Whomever owned these cars had ample time to clear them away from the hurricane zone or certainly had the means to have someone help get them to safety.  It seems criminal that this volume of highly valuable cars were left to be filled with salt water.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dang said:

There's 20 plus classic cars at that yard so far.  Looks like someone lost their Corvette collection too.  Sad

Select for moderation Report Edit Delete IP

That's a whole lot of beautiful classic cars that will never be the same.

I'm curious out of all these cars which will go for the most money. I'm guessing it will be the original 1965 Shelby Cobra or the 1969 Jaguar E-type, but the 2002 Turbo could go for more.

I just hope it goes to someone who has his or her eyes open to the extent of the work to make this or any of those beautiful cars whole, nothing less than a total strip down and rebuild is going to get it done. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

57 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

I just hope it goes to someone who has his or her eyes open to the extent of the work to make this or any of those beautiful cars whole, nothing less than a total strip down and rebuild is going to get it done. 

Naw just change the oil and throw some grease in there, good to go. 

• Haha 2

But what do I know

In all fairness to at least some of the folks who lost their collector cars, that storm flooded places--both from storm surge and river flooding--that had never flooded before. Folks miles inland had as much or more water in their houses from overflowing rivers than folks on the coast got from storm surge.  Thus people who thought they were safe due to elevation--both near the coast and inland...weren't.  

Add to that the affected places hadn't had a category 4 storm hit in almost anyone's memory, and literally millions of people who were affected by Ian had never experienced a hurricane.  Over 100 will never have the chance to again--worst hurricane death toll since the Labor Day 1935 storm in the Keys, which killed 500+ people.

I've been through nine hurricanes, but nothing worse than a strong category 2 (125mph winds)--and I was in a sturdy building well above any storm surge.  Had I been in the path of Ian, I would have been in Ft Lauderdale or Miami as fast as my car could carry me.  

mike 

Tidewater VA & Florida boy

• Like 5

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite