• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Respect your Elders?

Preyupy

Finally had a weekend off from racing and dug the Turbo out of the garage for a drive. A beautiful day but too much traffic to have much fun. Probably saw 35-40 modern BMWs on the road and not one person even turned their head to look.  Did get a headlight flash and a thumbs up from a guy in a Triumph STAG!  I of course flashed and waved back, then thought about following him home ( just to make sure he made it ok). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

You are a Good Samaritain. We should all follow those Brits to make sure they make it home. A friend who recently acquired an Austin 3000 won't gomore than 75 miles from his mechanic. Of course he has AAA Premium that gives him 100 miles free towing. Don't leave home without it. 

I too have started to flash anything pre-1980. Often get a response.  Desperation meet desperation.

The guys, and they are usually guys in the parking lots and gas stations partly make up for the lack of cars of our vintage out and about.

Steve

2 hours ago, Preyupy said:

a Triumph STAG!  I of course flashed and waved back, then thought about following him home ( just to make sure he made it ok). 

Anyone who’s had one will get that, lovely touring car if only it could get out of the driveway!

I had a fella in a modern BMW actually lower his widow and say “ I like your Datsun” I don’t have a trunk badge on my 74…. He wondered why I laughed, he said he didn’t know BMW’s were that old, different generation I guess, nice enough guy, loved my car,… I’m just spreading the education?

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Sad 2

The main problem I have here in BC is keeping track of the the drivers and pedestrians that wave and call to me when I'm driving. Usually I leave it to my wife to keep score and wave back. But then there are a lot more classic cars driving about in Victoria than there were in Seattle.

Admittedly, though, at least half the people I talk to think I'm driving an odd-shaped 2002. ("Why does it have 4 doors?)

Edited by kiva667
  • Like 2

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

I rarely get a nod, wave or any other show of appreciation when driving  Survivor these days. Granted, it’s not sporting a gleaming new paint job but still ...

When I do receive a comment it’s usually from a rice rocket guy who says something like “ cool, my dad had one of these”?

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Rethinking the headlight flashing phenom. Agree there are few of us still on the road to flash to. But I live near New Hope PA(a tourist town on the Delaware River in Senic Bucks County) and Lambertville, NJ right across the river from New Hope.  The smalles city in NJ. Lovely old neighborhoods, a trendy shopping area. 

But my point is I get thumbs up, cries of "great car, I love your car, beautiful" almost daily. And I have had a couple of drivers of much newer BMWs, the kind you could not pay me to drive, smile, shout out and thumbs up me.

And of course the "gas station guys" and the "parking lot guys" who engage in a half hour conversation about. Well, you know how the stories go.

15 hours ago, Preyupy said:

saw 35-40 modern BMWs on the road and not one person even turned their head to look. 

Its been reported here (Vancouver, BC) widely that we have the great distinction of having the highest per capita of BMW owners in NA. No doubt due to the drug trade, money  laundering and out of control real estate climate... but I digress. However,I feel the vast majority have absolutely NO CLUE of the history of the brand. I get no reaction what so ever when I am sitting at a light with these people that's unless their kids are peering out a window of their SUV's mocking the colour of my car. Even e21 and E30 owners show little respect. I am old enough to remember how it felt to have some flash their lights back in the day by anything German. Today, I get the odd thumbs up by other vintage owners, or cornered at gas stations by former owners wishin they still had their old rides. I think that old tag line  of the "ultimate driving machine" has more meaning for me today than it does for many of the younger generations....man am I sounding old now! Time to kick someone off my lawn.

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 2

I get more thumbs up from late model BMWs (and most other cars actually) while driving my Alfa GTV than the ‘02. There was one time when a nice E24 came zooming up in my rear view mirror, pulled along side and gave us the thumbs up, then rode wing man until we parted ways at the next freeway interchange. But just once…

In NC I would say there's only a consistent response from e34 and older BMWs, other old european cars, and modded Japanese cars. Old corvettes, old american cars, muscle cars, old trucks, new BMWs etc aren't interested, I don't bother trying to open communications with those drivers.