• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hole in top of Tii front cowl, what's this for?

bergie33

Weld that shut. Also think it’s from an old alarm switch. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

5 hours ago, bergie33 said:

I have a hole that I suspect is from a prior owner on my Tii. I have never seen one like this before. What could it be for? I'm planning on filling it before paint, but want to make sure I'm not missing something. 

20220709_113356.jpg

Unless you are going for originality, have you thought about relocating the battery to either the trunk or under the passenger rear seat well?  If not, perhaps try to retrofit a bolt in battery tray. Would make changing the alternator much easier.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

14 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Unless you are going for originality, have you thought about relocating the battery to either the trunk or under the passenger rear seat well?  If not, perhaps try to retrofit a bolt in battery tray. Would make changing the alternator much easier.

I think I've decided not to move the battery. I was just going to leave the battery tray and use that.  Not 100% sure yet though. 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

I know that my 74tii has a similar hole drilled by the previous owner to help with adjusting the points (he told me when I bought it in 1986).  Not sure if yours is in the same exact location or not.  I'd fill it for sure.

Jim's suggestion on a possible bolt in battery tray is a good option.  Getting the tii alternator out can be a bitch.  Good luck,

John

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

3 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

I've got a '74tii and there's no hole there.  And I never wanted a hole there to help with adjusting the points .... what's that all about ???

Cheers,

Carl

Stupid PO is what that's about ? I guess he would stick a long screw driver through the hole or something??  Dummy

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

27 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Jim's suggestion on a possible bolt in battery tray is a good option.  Getting the tii alternator out can be a bitch. 

Yes it is, I have a 74tii and I am forever grateful to the PO in making my tray removable, it’s a couple of mins to remove the battery the same for the tray and you have easy access to everything, oh and remove the airfilter end?

it basically stopped me relocating my battery, i can now build the space between the rear wheel wells into the travelling tool holder I wanted..

• Like 1