• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 tii - time to sell, need a strategy

Andy74tii

Well folks, I realized just today that since Mark Hutto rebuilt my engine in September 2018, I have put exactly 5,539 miles on it in the intervening almost-4 years. I'm just not driving it enough, so I think it is time to sell....

I bought this car in 2000 on the old Roadfly forum, from a fellow in Dallas, who was the drummer for a group called the Old97s. I am the fourth owner, and I have all the receipts back to the late 80s, when Phil bought it from the second owner. I had it off the road while it was being repainted in the original Turkis glasurit paint, and the engine rebuilt, etc. At that time, the odometer read close to zero, so as far as I could tell it had about 100,000 miles on it. Around 2017, I had the head rebuilt by Mark Hutto out here (I documented that in a blog on this site), and right after that, Mark also did the lower end rebuild.  BTW if anyone is looking for an 02 mechanic in the Denver area, Mark is the best and a great friend to boot.

It's a pretty original tii, with the one major addition being the rims, which are the cool Cromodora mag wheels. This was the original color, repainted in 2002. All the numbers match (2780675). I wanted to get your advice on selling - I think the place most people go to is Bring A Trailer, and I have looked there. Is that the best strategy for maximizing the selling price? I am not sure if Delia is still active on this forum, but I have seen her comments on quite a few 02s there. I don't know exactly where the market is right now, but I would be looking to get at least $30K for it, keeping in mind that this is not an urgent sale.

Let me know your thoughts. In the meantime, if anyone here is interested, contact me on this board.

Many thanks,

Andy Grout

Arvada CO USA

2100580A-397F-4B66-8E3D-B0BFE9986A81_1_201_a.jpeg

C724BA69-5552-4074-B598-0AD0181929DB.jpeg

38EF0785-BA5C-483B-B48A-61733A49B3B2_1_201_a.jpeg

9A25EA69-C11C-4485-BDDD-2AB62BAAC233_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0802.jpg

• Like 5

FAQ Member #126

Well, the market for tii's seems to be more than a little hot right now, so this certainly might be the time to sell.  BaT is bringing huge sale prices, but be ready to have your car thoroughly scrutinized by the commentariat there.  That said, you're sure you want to sell?  

SO tempting as this is one of my favorite colors! I’d have to sell MY ‘74 tii though…???

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

A few questions:

-When it was repainted, what weatherstripping and trim was replaced?

-Did you paint the trunk, engine compartment and door jambs at that time as well?

-Has anything been done to the interior?

-What condition is the dash in?

-Does it still have the standard four-speed or have you done a five speed swap?

-What, if anything, has been done to the suspension?

Thanks!

Sounds like a good selling strategy is to post a "What is my selling strategy" topic ? 

Nice car!

~Jason

• Haha 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

-When it was repainted, what weatherstripping and trim was replaced? All weatherstripping was replaced, windows out, all trim replaced.... but that was 20 years ago, so it's not like new...

-Did you paint the trunk, engine compartment and door jambs at that time as well?  Yes, all done during the resto 2000-2003

-Has anything been done to the interior? Very little, the interior is pretty original

-What condition is the dash in? Has the "usual" cracks, not pristine

-Does it still have the standard four-speed or have you done a five speed swap? Original 4 speed, was rebuilt in 2000

-What, if anything, has been done to the suspension? Original springs, new Bilstein HDs in 2003. 

It's funny, I found some old pics from the original resto, see below. I bet I posted a lot of these to this forum back then. I took some time to count up the receipts since I've owned the car, and they add up to a bit over $35k, but I have noticed things were a lot cheaper back then, as an example the paint job was under $5K....

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0814.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FAQ Member #126

WOW.

Looks great!!!

Even though it was painted 20 years ago, it was done so comprehensively that I can’t believe you paid such a small amount. Did you do most of the prep work yourself?

GLWS unless I can figure something out…?

I actually did very little prep work. The paint was done by a place in Houston called Casari's. Not sure if anyone here would remember Bob Murphy, who started the tii Register, but I got to know him down very well while I lived in Katy, and my car basically followed his car to Casari's and then to BMS (Mike Perkins RIP) for the engine work. He had a Polaris tii with A4 bits on it, had it since new.

You're right - even at the time, that was a pretty good price, given the quality of the work and the fact they used the real-deal Glasurit. Here is a pic when it was at Casari's....

IMG_0812.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FAQ Member #126

I found the top dead center blog but couldn’t find your original restoration blog. Does it still exist on the site?

I am pretty sure my original posts about the car were on the old Roadfly forum, as it took me a while to join this one (I'm member #126).... for a while most folks belonged to both but as I recall there was some sort of "final straw..." It's been great to belong to this forum, though I haven't been on for quite a while. 

• Thanks 1

FAQ Member #126

That's a great looking car you got there. Don't sell yourself short on what you would like to get for it. Just think in 5 years what it would be worth. You've done a good job taking care of it so far, a few more years won't hurt you too much. You might even drive it some more. Find some vintage shows to go to. Good luck with it all. I've been thinking about selling my 74 (non-tii) also.

dlm ny country

• Like 1