• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 tii - time to sell, need a strategy

Andy74tii

I think that BAT would be your best bet to get top dollar. However, it’s key that you detail the car properly and either take some really good, very comprehensive pictures yourself or hire someone to do that.

Square taillight, big bumper tii’s seem to be a bit tricky to sell on BAT but excellent presentation, coupled with the color, how extensive the restoration was and all of the documentation that you have should help a lot IMHO.

• Like 3

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

You need to post your tii in the FAQ registry.  Please PM me Mark Hutto's contact info.  I have a tii in CO Springs and I'm looking for a good tii mechanic.  GLWS! 

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

20 hours ago, Andy74tii said:

I actually did very little prep work. The paint was done by a place in Houston called Casari's. Not sure if anyone here would remember Bob Murphy, who started the tii Register, but I got to know him down very well while I lived in Katy, and my car basically followed his car to Casari's and then to BMS (Mike Perkins RIP) for the engine work. He had a Polaris tii with A4 bits on it, had it since new.

You're right - even at the time, that was a pretty good price, given the quality of the work and the fact they used the real-deal Glasurit. Here is a pic when it was at Casari's....

IMG_0812.jpg

Familiar story.... I live over on the western slope near Glenwood Springs now but back in the day I bought my 02 in Houston and have a Mike Perkins rebuild in my car now ( 230 k later and runs quite well still) . Also had body work done at Casaris on several occasions. As I contemplate my next round of engine and body work , Mark Hutto is on my list to reach out to for help. I still miss talking to Bob Murphy

about his tii. 

Been thinking about another 02 ( or Alfa?) for retirement time and would love to see yours, although tii's are pricey and you'll likely get more for yours than what I am looking for ( unless 30,000 is the buy it now price... ) ?

• Like 1

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

It was pretty shocking to hear about Mike's brain cancer. He was a perfectionist - which btw Mark is the same way, you'd do well to take your car to Broomfield to see him. Bob was a great guy to know, that is for sure. Did you interact with Lupe at Casari's - I think they are closed now, but she was a hoot. 

FAQ Member #126

BAT is the way to go; I'm about to list there myself and I had a satisfying sale of a V8 TR6 a few years ago. There has been a slight decline in prices in the last month (one commenter said his 401K had become a 201K!) but I still recommend it. Post 100-200 pictures (especially underneath) including a driving, a cold-start, and a walk around video. Quickly and non-defensively answer all questions. Point out ALL your flaws upfront, otherwise you will be "chased". I don't know much about setting reserves, but you should get between 35 and 50 K.

Edited by Georges
  • Like 3

engine small.jpg

4 hours ago, Andy74tii said:

It was pretty shocking to hear about Mike's brain cancer. He was a perfectionist - which btw Mark is the same way, you'd do well to take your car to Broomfield to see him. Bob was a great guy to know, that is for sure. Did you interact with Lupe at Casari's - I think they are closed now, but she was a hoot. 

Don't remember Lupe, I just dealt with Jorge (sp?) Went to high school with Bob's son and drooled over his then 19,000 mile tii. It was nothing like what it turned into though... Also worked for Mike delivering customer cars after school. The hot rod M6 was pretty fun driving on 59 but I won't tell how fast it went...   

• Like 1

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Holy smokes that is a great looking car, and the history is really strong.

When I had my tii in the ‘90s, the tii register, and the newsletters I was sent were really gold…the lore then was there were a few people that understood the injection…and that’s it.  If something went wrong, and you didn’t know those 5 people, you just tore it all off and put webers on it.  So the tii register was a big deal, because it said, “this is an understandable system…here are tips…it’s not a black art”.  

So I love this car because of the connection to Bob and that history.  And of course the car itself is really special.  

GLWS.  In a real way.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

That is great, thank you! Another fun bit of history, not sure if anyone remembers this fellow William who had a tii he called "Tip Top" here, he used to build tii fuel injection tools, I bought some from him, and these will go with the sale. This tii also has a radiator (number 00230) from Curt Ingraham (RIP). Neat stuff.

C03F18D4-8704-40BB-8117-DCF2DDE73422_1_201_a.jpeg

A3801222-711F-4883-BD7F-435B2FE7569C.jpeg

• Like 1

FAQ Member #126

9 hours ago, Andy74tii said:

That is great, thank you! Another fun bit of history, not sure if anyone remembers this fellow William who had a tii he called "Tip Top" here, he used to build tii fuel injection tools, I bought some from him, and these will go with the sale. This tii also has a radiator (number 00230) from Curt Ingraham (RIP). Neat stuff.

C03F18D4-8704-40BB-8117-DCF2DDE73422_1_201_a.jpeg

A3801222-711F-4883-BD7F-435B2FE7569C.jpeg

William is still around! His Malaga tii was totaled in an accident, but he purchased an inka tii to replace it. Haven’t seen him post on the FAQ in a long time.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

If are thinking of selling it wait a year and see how you feel.  I thought about boxing everything up and selling mine as a semi-basket case, but I know I will regret it. 

If you go to sell it, you should inventory of what is original,  what is OEM replacement and what is aftermarket.  If you want to get some serious change for it, the collector will want to know what isn't correct, from the color of the components, to the brakes and tires.  Matching numbers is a great start. 

Too many times I have seen cars torn to shreds by the trolls, don't give them anything to latch onto. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, thought you would be interested to see my BAT auction has finally commenced, here is the link:

1974_bmw_2002tii_img_0951-77468.jpeg
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a 22-Years-Owned 1974 BMW 2002tii at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #80,633.

Thanks!

Andy

• Like 1

FAQ Member #126