• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thanks to Mike Pugh!!!

BobBreed

There is a ton of information available on this forum and from the people who support the 02 community. Thank God!!

I recently decided it was time to fix the crappy lights on my recently accquired 1802 Touring. I bought new EURO reflectors from W&N, a Susquanna wiring set with relays and fuses, new H4's and proceeded to install it. Everything went great until I climbed into the car to test the lights. The lights were fine. However, the blue high beam light on the dash was lit up very brightly when the high beams were on. It was also on, although not as bright, when the low beams were on. Thinking I screwed up something, I doubled checked all of the connections and verified that I I installed the wire loom correctly. I also checked out the wiring to the automatic door locks/lights  gizmo in the car. Everything was correct and worked - just the darn indicator was screwed up.

I called Mike. He took the time to crawl through all the wiring diagrams and asking me question. He finally came to the conclusion that 48 year old round canister relay sitting next to the battery was bad. I jumped the 88 and the 87 poles and my problem went away.

Mike, thanks!!

• Like 10

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

2 hours ago, BobBreed said:

There is a ton of information available on this forum and from the people who support the 02 community. Thank God!!

I recently decided it was time to fix the crappy lights on my recently accquired 1802 Touring. I bought new EURO reflectors from W&N, a Susquanna wiring set with relays and fuses, new H4's and proceeded to install it. Everything went great until I climbed into the car to test the lights. The lights were fine. However, the blue high beam light on the dash was lit up very brightly when the high beams were on. It was also on, although not as bright, when the low beams were on. Thinking I screwed up something, I doubled checked all of the connections and verified that I I installed the wire loom correctly. I also checked out the wiring to the automatic door locks/lights  gizmo in the car. Everything was correct and worked - just the darn indicator was screwed up.

I called Mike. He took the time to crawl through all the wiring diagrams and asking me question. He finally came to the conclusion that 48 year old round canister relay sitting next to the battery was bad. I jumped the 88 and the 87 poles and my problem went away.

Mike, thanks!!

I’m curious.  The round relay is for the horn and it was also used for driving/fog lights.  Doesn’t the new Susquehanna setup include two new relays?  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Bob's touring is a Euro car 1974 and it has a low beam relay next to the horn relay.   It is a complex relay and obviously was bad and leaking voltage back into the system and illuminated the high beam bulb in the gauge cluster    Since its an odd duck we just eliminated it  :)

Bob did put in the harness for the H4 bulb which contain the relays that provide power directly to the bulbs from the battery   Really cool set up    I have it on the Baur and the 1600Ti 

• Like 6

I've had similar problems with those round relays as they age.  Good catch, Mike.   

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As a relative newcomer to the 02 community I have benefited immensely over the last 6 years from Mike's incredible knowledge of these cars and his genuine desire to be of help. Proud to say today he is a friend. And he went to UVa too! 

1973 Ruby Red 2002 tii "Celeste"

1976 Fjord 2002 "Hazel"

• 2 years later...

My name is Andy Keaton. I joined this group hoping to learn more about the 2002 model BMW. I’ve been told that Mike Pugh is the ultimate go-to guy for all things 2002. I’m fortunate to live in Raleigh NC and would really appreciate being able to talk with Mike. From what I understand I think he lives not far from me off Penny Rd.

Any help in contacting Mike would be greatly appreciated.

If this request isn’t proper here I apologize, just trying to find the 2002 guru.

Thanks, Andy Keaton