• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN 1622378.. Talk to me guys.

eurotrash

39 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

Originally Bristol

Huh...I didn't realize that Bristol came with a tobacco interior, but then it's so uncommon in the US (never on Hoffman Motors 2002s, and rarely on 1600s).  I wonder how the original owner managed to bring it into the US with no mandated emission or safety stuff--even back  in 1972 or 73 they were strict on that, especially on returning military.   

Those "frosted" wheel covers in the trunk are original to the '68 and '69 2002s.  Check those extra wheels in the trunk, at first glance they look like 5j x13's from a ti or tii.  I can see a 4/72 date on one wheel so they're not original to the car.  I don't think the Euro cars had a hazard switch then, and I know they didn't have headrests as standard, only optional. 

And I'll bet the on-street parking lights function on that car--set the turn signal to a left or right turn with the ignition off, and the appropriate parking and tail light illuminates--required for on-street parking in most European countries.  For some reason, only the 72 and 73 US spec cars have that function wired up and working. 

Great find, Jason, and knowing you, it'll be nice sooner rather than later.  But will it be ready for Mid America next April?

Mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Oh man, that looks amazing!  Very exciting.  Let me know when I can come and check it out.  

Pretty crazy you and John P have new 02s, and I know Jake has the Inka and Blue one that are within the last year, too.  Fresh 02s!

This will give you something to work on over the winter.  

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Congratulations, Jason! I am sure it will be beautiful once you are done with it.

I used to own 1661508, a US spec car AFAIK, a long time ago. I switched the clutch mechanism to a hydraulic system. I seem to remember that the brake parts were difficult to find even 30 years ago. When I bought it for $400 it had been sitting for a few years due to a busted long neck differential. I found one in the scrap pile of a Porsche repair shop for $40, fixed the brakes and enjoyed it for a few years.

• Like 1

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Cool find!

Not sure if the round plastic piece in the left binnacle is a block off for original factory hazard switch knob.  Think the chrome dash versions could have an under dash hazard switch location.  I’ve seen a small under dash console with switch in pics, but think that was only on early cars.

unusual dual brake reservoirs.  Perhaps the brake booster was swapped as mentioned above.  Does the inner fender reservoir have more than (1) outlet?  

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

34 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Not sure if the round plastic piece in the left binnacle is a block off for original factory hazard switch knob.  Think the chrome dash versions could have an under dash hazard switch location.  I’ve seen a small under dash console with switch in pics, but think that was only on early cars.

US spec cars built before the requirement for padding everywhere had their hazard flasher switch mounted on a small, three position panel that was fastened to the underside of the steering column.  There were two blank positions, probably for optional fog lights and heated backlight.  When NTSHA padding rules took effect with the 1968 models, a knee pad was added to the underside of the steering column, and that small switch panel no longer fit there.  That's when the hazard flasher switch was moved to the left side of the binnacle.  Jason's car doesn't have the padded steering column housing, but the picture doesn't show that little switch panel, so I suspect on the early cars no hazard switch was fitted to Euro cars.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Exciting stuff. Fort Polk is in central Louisiana. Lived w/my parents and siblings in Alexandria, LA for 5 years when I was a kid. Alexandria is the only town of any size in the vicinity of Ft Polk. Alexandria used to host England AFB; now it's the municipal airport. Camp Beauregard is not far from Alexandria; it's a Marine base....

• Like 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

14 minutes ago, CoastalCrush said:

Look like shallow 72’ grilles 

+1

Imported from Germany in 1973 —  and mid-‘72 through ‘73 were the “shallow grille era” in the U.S. — so probably acquired its U.S.-spec headlight buckets and the shallow grilles at that time.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, eurotrash said:

We will be picking the car up tomorrow morning. The owner is purported to have the original title. I’m trying to get him to track down any original European parts that were removed from the car.

I’m sure you’re already going to do this but keep the original title and file for a lost title. I fucked up and didn’t do this with one of my cars and wished that I had. 

• Like 1

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329