• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Feedback


Community Reputation

10 Good

About King+Sons

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender Male
  • Location Cincinnati, Ohio

Recent Profile Visitors

1,570 profile views
  1. North to Alaska

  2. rear subframe

    We dropped the rear subframe mainly because of the cut axles; our theory is that a salvage yard did that in order to roll the car around with a seized differential. (There is great freedom in working on a car that was rescued from the crusher!) Both the differential in the car and the extra diff that came with the car are not usable; the former barely turns (confirming our theory) and the extra one turns freely but has chipped gears (see photo). At a Rivertown Gear Busters parts swap we had picked up five used axles; two have the 3+3 bolt pattern, so we'll raid all five to get two axles that will work. Many thanks to Dave Guard for the media blasting. We're having fun in this "messy" phase while looking forward to the final cleaning and painting of the subframe bits.
  3. 1975 Verona Sunroof 2002 by Eurotrash

    "Help! I'm becoming a parts shelf!" - The Beer Snob /// The M Zehn looks great; will be fun to see it showcased in an 02 gallery.
  4. front subframe

    Ah, indeed. I just checked it again and there's actually two cracks--the other one isn't visible in these photos.
  5. front subframe

    We decided to drop the front subframe because everything needs sorted and one of the control arms is bent. After some cleaning, we’re now inspecting the subframe for cracks and so far it looks okay. (But we’re also looking at the reinforcement options.) Are there any other problems here we should be looking for? And how important is it to replace the idler arm bushings? I’m reading about how the new (blue) ones don’t fit well on early cars, and ours is an early 1971.
  6. Vintage Prep start party

    Started six months of Vintage Prep with a gathering of local 02 friends. And a Mike Self gif!
  7. test

  8. Engine Removal

    We got the engine out and really like the nifty side-mounting on the engine stand. Not sure what we'll do engine-wise, but now it’s on to the engine bay and the sorting of many systems. Last photo: “sweet child.”
  9. 1975 Verona Sunroof 2002 by Eurotrash

    The Verona is pissed that you're still using the eurotrash name--and hoping you'll switch to something more aspirational, such as eurotreasure. (It's all about the branding, after all...)
  10. Engine puzzle, a book, and The Vintage

    Windshield broken long ago; my daughter just liked photographing it. As for The Vintage, this was our second year as spectators. Next year we'll hopefully drive our project car and stay in Asheville and meet more people.
  11. After removing the head (which seems okay), we put it back on and torqued it down--just to see if the blockage reappeared. It did not. So, the mysterious blockage is gone, and we're debating what to do next. Options include having the head gone through, swap in a used head, swap in a used engine, or go through both the head and the bottom end. Whatever we do, at least we have a new cooling system ready. While our car was offline, there were two highlights--doing the design for Rob Siegel's book "Ran When Parked" (we had visited him in Louisville when he worked on "Louie"), and tracking Jason Gipson's '75 Verona build. Many thanks to Jason for letting us borrow the Beer Snob for our trip to The Vintage!
  12. First Start, and a setback

    We first removed the oil pan to have a look around the underside, but everything there seemed in order (apart from a loose oil pump chain). We then removed the head, and yes--that was the source of the blockage. Now to examine the head...
  13. (background on our specific situation here, for those who want it)
  14. First Start, and a setback

    Update on finding the mechanical blockage and why the engine won’t turn (beyond a short range): We used a scope to look into the cylinders, but couldn’t see any obvious issues such as a broken valve. The scope was limited in its clarity and perspective, so there's nothing definitive either way here. We had some ’02 experts helping us virtually, including the advice of setting the flywheel to the TO “line” mark (in the back viewing hole) and then examining the positions of the valves and camshaft. Well, things up top “were not where they should have been,” and the conclusion is that the timing chain skipped some teeth. When we were turning the crank to set this up, we were unaware that the direction of rotation matters (due to the spring-loaded hydraulic chain tensioner)—so we’ll do it again and make sure we’re going clockwise. If this makes the valves/camshaft marks closer to what they should be, then we’ll try removing the distributor and see if that frees up the blockage. (We’ll remove the distributor anyway, because at this point, why not?) Odds are, we’ll have to remove the head and check for bent valves—but we’re exploring all other rotating options first (timing chain, etc.).
  15. First Start, and a setback

    Well, we got the First Start (yay!), followed by our first setback. (“Start” video here.) The setback (two days later) was doing a compression test, when the engine locked up. It turns by hand (as if it was a clock) from Noon to about 10:00, and then back; somewhere there’s a mechanical blockage. We checked the flywheel (it was fine) so the next step is to check the internals of the engine. Tonight we’ll use a borrowed scope to peer into the cylinders (via the spark plug holes) and see what’s up. As part of our project objectives (#1: Have Fun; #2: Meet People), we’re hosting “Garage Nights” where we invite friends to watch us work and hang out. Four down, 18 to go!