• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel won’t pull off

MattL

I have an E21 sport steering wheel installed on my 76. Since I installed it a couple years ago it’s had a very slight lateral wobble that I attributed to a missing washer or something keeping it from seating fully. In any case, I tried today to take the wheel off to address the issue. The nut came off fine, but I can not get the wheel to budge off the splines. I’m worried I may have over tightened the nut when I installed it, or somehow fouled the splines. Any tips? 

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Still no luck with the above suggestions. With the penetrating oil on, though, I can see that there is play in the splines. So, it’s not seized there. When I push the wheel forward and then pull back, it feels like there is a catch or clip or other diametrically-opposed barrier keeping it from detaching. I didn’t think there was anything to remove other than the nut. Is there something I’m forgetting? 

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Use a rubber mallet to give a good old whack or two to from the back. Without the nut & washer it should pull off with a little effort, as you know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

33 minutes ago, JWT said:

make sure the steering lock is not engaged or grabbing it.  (I think).

The steering column lock engages the shaft, not the wheel so it won't get in your way when you remove the wheel.  Don't have any additional suggestions from what's already been written.  Just keep at it.  There's probably a burr on one of the splines that's causing the wheel to catch, so keep pushing and pulling; the splines on the steering wheel are pot metal,and those on the shaft are steel, so one will eventually wear down the other.

mike

• Thanks 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks, all. I’m happy to hear that I just need to give it more gusto. I’ve broken enough stuff that “Don’t force it” is permanently etched into my psyche. 

• Haha 2

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

As my brother & I say, "You've got to cuss it." swear at it & call it bad names, it will relent.

Keep us posted when the F'ing wheel has been successfully removed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Yeah after some oil on there I think a bit of good hearty side-to-side rocking motion while pulling will probably do the trick. Do be careful to not end up smashing yourself in the face when it finally lets go though! <- Says the guy who's done exactly that more than once with all of the later-style BMW shift knobs. . .

And once it IS off, you'll probably want to use a small 3-corner file to clean up the splines of both the wheel and the shaft wherever this annoying burr is/was to mitigate any further problems from it!

• Thanks 1

Put the nut back on with just a few threads, this will save your nose when it does finally come off       Hit each side of the outer most section of the wheel at 3 and 9 o clock  with the heel of your hand and then pull like a mother while still rocking it side to side     If it still won't come off, turn the nut around so the smooth backside of the nut (  9 not the locking part )  is flush with the end of the threads and then while you are pulling like crazy on the wheel, have someone with a hammer and something that you can use like a punch whack the nut and steering shaft.   Have someone that you can trust because your body is in the way and it hurts when they hit you instead of the wheel     That should pop it loose    

Thanks, Rick

• Thanks 1

Good trick an old timer taught me was put the nut back on the shaft so its flush with the top thread. Put a pry bar under the rim of the wheel and onto the top of the nut/shaft. Pull up on the prybar and smack the part of the prybar resting on the nut with a hammer while maintaining upward force with the pry bar. It has worked like magic every time I have tried. Plus you don't need two people to do it.

• Thanks 1