• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'76 2002 potential purchase

cdn97986

I've been lurking on the forum for some time now, reading up on all I can on these cars and seeing what prices are for those coming up for sale. I've had a '97 Porsche Boxster for the last 5 years as my "fun" car, and am ready to move on to something else as a project. I have an initial max budget of up to $12k for the purchase. I live in western PA, so most 2002s available I've seen in a few hour radius of here are generally very rusty, or well outside my price range ($25k+). Don't really have a preference between the early or later cars, and have been looking at pretty much all years. I really do not want to get into too much major rust repair, but am willing to take on a floor pan patch, etc (I can weld). I have been focusing on cars with minimal rust, so searches have been leading me to western or maybe southern examples. My latest find is a '76 AZ car now in CA, off the road for 20+ years in storage. Car runs and drives, and in terms of the body, looks to have some rust in the passenger front floor pan area. Looked to originally be blue (Pastel?), but was repainted white ~30 yrs ago and would need repainted again at some point. Interior is in pretty sad shape, especially the dash, would need some significant work. The seller sent me a lot of pics, which I attached some of the more relevant ones. Asking price is just south of $7k, and I of course would need to ship it back east. Looking to the forum's expertise on what they think of this car. Thanks.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

'75 2002 #2362444

'19 VW Golf Sportwagen

'07 Audi A6 Avant S-Line

I think there is a lot to fix here, both metal wise and asthetically. If it has been sitting for any length of time you can add another few more Benjamin’s to the total. I think it’s overpriced even at 5 then there is the shipping.  I would not chase this one and try to find a car that is been better cared for. They are out there if you are diligent and patient. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 3

Yeah, not much car for $7000, even $5000. Doesn't look like it was stored very well, I would guess it spent many years in the elements.I would expect more rust than seen in pics and that dash! The interior is just trashed, headliner, panels, seats.. all toast. not even $3000 or better yet keep looking, you can find something  far less nasty for $7000 that might even run and drive.

That car could easily eat up your $25000+ budget and still need stuff.

Keep looking and buy as much car as you can afford is my advice.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 3

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Looks too rough in my opinion for a first 2002. Lots to fix. You will blow your budget.

You can find way better ones for that kind of money. I know its hard but people find bargains all the time. 

• Like 2

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Keep looking!

I will say, however, that spending $2,000 to ship a California car across the country might be the best $2,000 you could spend. The average rust on a California car is a fraction of the average rust on a Northeast car. California also offers 1976 ‘02’s — not this one, obviously (!) — at a substantial discount, because they must be smogged biannually.

You’re on the right track, but this example is fried!

I bought my ‘73 tii out of California in 2014, and shipped it East. I couldn’t be happier.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not in any hurry to make a purchase, still need to sell my Boxster, but am keeping up with what is available out there. My gut told me this should be a <$5k car, but the market is pretty hot for 02s now, so all seem to be looking for a premium. I'll continue to post anything that looks interesting...appreciate the opinions.

'75 2002 #2362444

'19 VW Golf Sportwagen

'07 Audi A6 Avant S-Line

In 50+ years of messing with 2002s, that's absolutely the worst dash I've ever seen!  Agree with everyone else--way overpriced--no way nohow will that car pass CA emissions without expensive work, so selling it in CA is out.  Actually the sheet metal doesn't look bad--the only rust I could see from your pictures is the spare tire well and pax footwell. 

'76s (AKA Flintstonemobiles) have a reputation for rusty front floors, apparently due to the factory changing seam sealer suppliers.  The sealer used to seal those round floor drains in the front floor failed after a few years, allowing water to enter under the sound deadening.  Usually the first inkling of a problem is when the owner put his/her foot through the floor getting in the car.  Yes, even in CA.

It also has a cloth interior, not at all common on US cars, and only found on cars imported after Hoffman Motors was superseded by BMW NA in mid-1975.  It also looks pretty original--all the emission stuff is still there, and I'll bet a Solex carb lurks under the air cleaner.  

But it ain't going anywhere anytime soon--not for $7k, $5K or even $3K...I'd contact the seller in a month or two and if you still want it, give him a rational offer...remember, he needs to sell it worse than you need to buy it.  Don't get buck fever, there were 88,000 2002s sold in the US, so they're plenty out there.

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This tired, beat-upon 2002 is not the 02 you're looking for. You can do so much better. This one would be a bottomless pit for tossing your money into. It's going to need EVERYTHING. It is so forlorn, it should be given away free. Sad, sad, sad.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz