• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color Change

All,

I am new to the forum but not new to 02's.  I am looking for feedback on paint color for a 76 2002 that I have gone down the "while your there worm hole"with.   This car came with a salvage title so my intention was to build a street/ track car, install MK1 flairs, roll cage and do what I wanted with the car.   I first pulled the engine and my mechanic has built it up with 10 to 1 pistons 292 cam etc..  The paint was going to get a quick respray but as we got into the paint the enamel that was used began to gum up and thus became an even bigger job..  So, I removed all of the interior and prepped the car to send it off to get soda blasted.  The car was in such good shape rust wise I couldn't bring myself to cut it up and install flairs or even the roll cage.  It then got epoxy primed (I'm fortunate to have a paint booth at work).   So now I'm all in, doing a complete paint job but was planning on going with slate or catalono grey (2018 bmw motorcycle color).  

My question is, am I making a mistake painting this car with a non period correct color?  Will it kill the resale value of the car or do the facts that this car has a salvage title and that it is a complete paint job mitigate that?   I should say that the original color was Chamonix which I appreciate but doesn't do a lot for me.   Any feedback would be appreciated.  

Do what you want (in the immortal words of Kimi Raikkonen,"LeavemealoneIknowwhatI'mdoing.").  Out of principle I like to completely remove the old color, as you have.  

As for resale... are you building this car for you, or are you trying to flip it? Frankly, the "resale" has already been killed by being a 76 with salvaged title.  This car is a great base for a hotrod.... is it too late to add flares/etc.?

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 5

Heaven forbid!  It may lead to even more metal chopping for the installation of european bumper...

For example, Jason's prematurely cut flares ....

49851583258_c3f6a30252_c.jpg

Point taken though... OP, do what you want.  The 2002 is a great car re-imagine any way you want.  If OEM-original does it for you, then rock those big bumpers and Chamonix paint.  If not, hotrod the bajeebus out of it.  

Edited by AceAndrew

Since you seem partial to grey, have you seen the 02 Series grey-tones besides Polaris? Bristol is a very nice non-metallic, and there’s also the grey-ish Anthrazitgrau metallic.

Don’t ask me if it’s right/wrong - my originally ‘76 Polaris 02 is now Cosmosschwarz (an original M3 color). ?

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I agree with Andrew. You already have the least desirable year with a salvage title, you can only add value to the car. I think a lot of people get hung up on originality/value. I can think of quite a few modified 02s that sold for big money. As long as the changes are tasteful and well done you’ll always find a buyer. That grey is going to look killer, especially with flares. 

277F8DB9-EE59-40EA-93A2-1E99DA191B62.jpeg

And well done Rabbit flares are about as good as it gets.  Wish they would have done that at the factory.

It's the least desirable year, with a salvage title- you're only going to make it worth more.  It's repeatedly said- it's your car, do what makes you happy.  Didn't Jason's car get invited, and displayed, at the BMW HQ in South Carolina last year?  With Rabbit flares?

Hell, my car was originally that malaga purple color.  It's currently 4 different colors of primer, and I much prefer it.  I like the greys...

Edited by irdave
  • Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:00 PM, Boba Fett 76 said:

... My question is, am I making a mistake painting this car with a non period correct color?  Will it kill the resale value of the car or do the facts that this car has a salvage title and that it is a complete paint job mitigate that?   I should say that the original color was Chamonix which I appreciate but doesn't do a lot for me.   Any feedback would be appreciated.  

A color change on this car will have no negative effect whatsoever on its market value. That’s my honest opinion.

The next owner of a car with a salvage title is not looking for an un-touched original car and the likelihood of him/her obtaining a BMW Group Archives report — to verify the factory color(!?) — is zero! Do a great job with whatever you do to the car — paint job, interior, flares(?), whatever — as that will give the car value.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Your car, your choice.  If you're not building it to immediately re-sell, do what makes you happy.  BTW there was a very cool medium grey that Porsche (shudder!) used on its 356C models, called Slate Grey.  Check it out--nice, non-metallic color and period at the same time, as I think it was carried over into 911 production--or at least a similar color was.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Avoid riviera.

It's not blue, it's one of the grey-tones besides Polaris. You'll have difficulties in finding your car on the parking lot when coming out of the store. Riviera chameleonates, maybe I've mentioned this already...

hen

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Henning said:

Avoid riviera.

It's not blue, it's one of the grey-tones besides Polaris. You'll have difficulties in finding your car on the parking lot when coming out of the store. Riviera chameleonates, maybe I've mentioned this already...

hen

?

9DBD3B12-F630-44AF-B5C8-295BBC07D4F0.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

6 hours ago, jgerock said:

?

9DBD3B12-F630-44AF-B5C8-295BBC07D4F0.jpeg

This is actually a photo of some stranger driving off in Jim’s car. The car was returned later by the apologetic “thief” who had mistaken Jim’s Riviera ‘69 for his own silver Kia....

The inadvertent thief, who reported himself to police, stated, "As I pulled into the Safeway, I didn't recall my Kia having three pedals..."

Sad story, happy ending... ???

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)