• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did all 02's come with a radio back in the day?

Jinho

no radio.

no heated seats

no airbag.

no nav.

no a/c

no phone

no wifi hotspot

no ABS

no electric windows

t

airbag

• Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Just now, TobyB said:

no radio.

no heated seats

no airbag.

no nav.

no a/c

no phone

no wifi hotspot

no ABS

no electric windows

t

airbag

touch screen dash pads at least????

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, TobyB said:

no heated seats

no airbag.

no nav.

no a/c

no phone

no wifi hotspot

no ABS

no electric windows

no airbag

Just fun to drive, at no extra charge.  And for those of you not quite old enough to remember 'em when the were new, '02s were so head and shoulders above any other small sedan (or even larger ones)--and even most sports cars--in terms of handling that there was just no comparison.  It was so much fun to suck a kid in a muscle car into following you onto a freeway on or off ramp (especially a decreasing radius one) and watch him drop way back, or go off into the weeds trying to keep up with that little shoebox with windows in front of him... A cult car right out of the box.

mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Radios were all a dealer add on.

That's similar to the story of the origin of the roundel being an airplane propeller.  I drove mine out of the gate at BMW Munich delivery on 9-22-71 with a radio in it, Hirschmann red tip antenna, and a full tank of gas!

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, jimk said:

That's similar to the story of the origin of the roundel being an airplane propeller.  I drove mine out of the gate at BMW Munich delivery on 9-22-71 with a radio in it, Hirschmann red tip antenna, and a full tank of gas!

To Jim’s point (I’m learning, Jim, slowly!)

1. Radios were never standard equipment on an ‘02.

2. Radios were not installed on the assembly line.

3. For buyers choosing factory-delivery programs, such as BMW’s European Delivery Program, an optional radio could be installed at the factory. The factory’s European Delivery “team” served in lieu of your local dealer, prepping the car for delivery and installing any options you purchased. Your car left the factory just as it would leave your local dealer: ready to go — full tank of gas!

4. Radios for those not using factory-delivery programs were installed most often by the delivering BMW dealership, but also by stereo shops, owners, or... not at all!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 hours ago, TobyB said:

no radio.

no heated seats

no airbag.

no nav.

no a/c

no phone

no wifi hotspot

no ABS

no electric windows

t

airbag

no regrets. 

no problem. 

Edited by Vicleonardo1
  • Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

When I first went to the dealer to buy a new 2002 in September 1969  they were sold out. That's right, they did not have a single  car to sell. About two weeks later when they received an allotment of five cars from Hoffman, Dieter phoned me and I went over right away to pick out my new car from among those five. The 2002s were in tight supply and the next allotment was weeks away. 

The cars were still in the service area in the back and the tiny one car capacity showroom out front was still empty. The mechanics were busy preppping the cars when Dieter accompanied me to make a selection.

Only one of the five cars had a sunroof and that was the one I picked.  But not a one of them had a radio installed yet.

I picked a Blaupunkt AM FM from among the various models offered and the $100 plus charge was added to the total price when Dieter wrote up the sale. Remember, in those days a Blaupunkt was an exotic item as we had all grown up with AM only Philco and Delco radios in our Fords and Chevys.

I loved my new 2002 but the expensive Blaupunkt never worked properly. That lovely 02 was parted out in the early 90s.

But I still have the darn radio.

IMG_1470.JPG

Edited by Flunder
  • Like 6

Speaker- no

power steering- no

power sunroof- no

heated rear window- sometimes, when it was new.

boosted brakes-  wait, what???

I have 3 cars with unboosted disc brakes.  The Datsun and the Volvo 

both develop your right leg significantly, and a panic stop WILL give 

you a charley horse, if not an outright tear.

But the 2002 race car without a booster is pretty reasonable, even from 120.

(no, of course none of it is remotely stock)

Go figure.

t

the older I get, the less booster I needed

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

4. Radios for those not using the European Delivery Program were installed most often by the dealer, but also by stereo shops, owners, or not at all.

My '69 came sans radio because I had read David Davis' "Turn Your Hymnals" story where he trashed the Blaupunkt in the press pool car (which got him fired from C and D).  I bought a $59.95 special AM-FM (Bowman brand) from JC Whitney, complete with an install kit, and installed it--and the antenna--in the parking of a motel in Plymouth MA on our first vacation trip in the '02--a week after we bought it.  Still have the radio, but it's no longer in the car.  

mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My "radio" is this: 

Bluetooth capability

Easy install (sits on my dash). 

Hands free speakerphone operation. 

Can charge your cell phone. 

Sound equivalent/better than a 70's era radio

Theft "resistant" just take it with you. 

Waterproof. (Hey I live in Oregon and the car leaks like screen door) 

Cheap

https://www.amazon.com/OontZ-Angle-Ultra-Hi-Quality-Splashproof/dp/B073BVWRSP/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3LOR2ZJS401S4&dchild=1&keywords=oontz+angle+3+ultra&qid=1588436098&sprefix=Koontz%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-3

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I have a package of installation instructions showing bracket location and includes radio internal schematics and radio circuit board component listing with layout of the board that came with my FACTORY install.  The package was in the glove box with the car.   I am not so picky as to whether the radio was installed on the assembly line or the shed out back.

The car has two grounding straps and two noise capacitors that are in the install instructions that US installs seem to have not bothered with (as the dealer monkeys knew better).  I've had 02ers ask at the MidAmFest ask what those straps were for.

The car was not purchased thru a local dealer, but from a mail order outfit called Eurocars and the catalog title is Special European Car Programs for Students, Teachers, Faculty Members.  (My wife was a teacher).  Cars could be leased, purchased or short term rented.  Hoffman got a cut though. Eurocars sold about anything made in Europe.

With the purchase was International Car Registration, Insurance Policy, Export Declaration Form and Export Certificate. We contracted separately for shipping thru Adolf Brauns a freight forwarder.  They arranged for the marine insurance.  Port of Entry in the US was Honolulu, HI.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.