• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGK BP6ES

Emyers

Public service announcement.  NGK has discontinued the BP6ES, replaced with the BPR6ES for those that care.  

There is still some remaining stock on the shelves, when gone.....

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9405

Earl

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

14 minutes ago, Emyers said:

Public service announcement.  NGK has discontinued the BP6ES, replaced with the BPR6ES for those that care.  

There is still some remaining stock on the shelves, when gone.....

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9405

Earl

Thanks.

Does that extra “R” indicate “resistor”?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

image.jpeg

Dammit, Earl...

I guess people now

gonna hoard NGK plugs, too???

Ed

Edited by zinz
  • Haha 3

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

How much resistance are we talking?

5 K ohms

which is the same amount as the stock rotor has.

Since resistance is cumulative, would it help to use a 1 K ohm rotor when using the resistor plugs?

I had been using the 1 K ohm rotor thinking less resistance would be better, as in hotter.  Then I read that the 5 K ohm rotor gives a spark with a longer duration and that's what came on our cars originally... so I put a 5K rotor back in.

I wonder what difference it makes if the 5K ohm resistance is at the rotor end or the plug end.

Well,

8 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

So the $2002 question then, with a good coil, how 'bad' are the resistance plugs? How much resistance are we talking?

Or better yet, what's the best non-NGK offering once the supply runs out? (totally went on Amazon and ordered a few spare sets)

20 minutes ago, Jae P said:

Just purchased a 20 count lot for 30 bucks after reading this! 

Five spark plug changes (20/4) should take you well into the future. For me, who drives my ‘76 about 2,500 miles annually, and changes plugs at approximately 5,000-mile increments — not because it needs it, but just because it’s easy — I wouldn’t need to buy more plugs for at least 12 years.  I guess I could stash 20 plugs between my toilet paper and dried-bean reserves.... ?

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

23 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Five spark plug changes (20/4) should take you well into the future. For me, who drives my ‘76 about 2,500 miles annually, and changes plugs at approximately 5,000-mile increments — not because it needs it, but just because it’s easy — I wouldn’t need to buy more plugs for at least 12 years.  I guess I could stash 20 plugs between my toilet paper and dried-bean reserves.... ?

Regards,

Steve

Steve, 

My thoughts exactly! I change my plugs every 2-3 years only because I don’t drive no more than 2-3k a year. I figured 20 plugs for 30 bucks, sh*t why not. Something less to think about while isolated at home. 

• Like 1