• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarantine Build Thread - 71 Colorado 02

danco_

9 minutes ago, ray_ said:

By the way, before you put those side grilles back on... ?

You should think about using some epoxy and perhaps stout wire to reinforce the inside where the horizontal slats meet the vertical frames. Also don't be like me; install the securing hooks at the outer lower edges. I think that will help limit vibration, and grille slats breaking off. I think I have broken and re-affixed each end of each slat on the M2 by now....

Also cut your toenails!

:P

You’re not my dad you can’t tell me what to do 

• Haha 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

48 minutes ago, iinca said:

nice job! and so lucky to have straight grills to work with

I wonder how many cases of the curse are on Catalina? 0?

and I didn't know Catalina had an airstrip. that trip must take a only a few minutes of actual air time

It’s a 15 minute flight. I just checked and they actually closed the Catalina strip today so I’m changing course. Santa Barbara it is. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

4 minutes ago, danco_ said:

You’re not my dad you can’t tell me what to do 

I'll call him if you keep sassin'!

:P

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Flight was fun. Catalina was closed so I shot down to Oceanside for a little, and took the coastal route back. All in all, a wholesome time. 

Yesterday I borrowed a pressure washer from our own @Mikepelly. Plan was to pressure wash the undercarriage of the orange car, but I got carried away washing about 800 sq. ft. of deep, dark green moss on the sidewalk. My god, it was pure therapy. I want to pressure wash everything I own. I think I'll pressure wash my interior next. 

But I did get to the car. Between the pressure washer and LA's Awesome degreaser (and a little scrubbing here and there), I got most of what I could given my constraints. 

I wasn't able to get to the flat surfaces underneath or the tunnel, but it's all coming. I may get the car on a lift once it runs and have another go at it. Soon. 

Photos: 

IMG_3211.thumb.jpg.43b20b0b690e6fd53cdd3ba95a0cd18d.jpg

IMG_3199.thumb.jpg.ffe8d58a96d719c27dae2756206fa299.jpgIMG_3205.thumb.jpg.390ff4938154a1eb7e08ad9dc3d1ff00.jpg

IMG_3208.thumb.jpg.11a62e64eb84f975eb215e41ba6526b6.jpgIMG_3214.thumb.JPG.499aa1da865013d50c69bf75a83aa1b5.JPG

So far so good. My neighbors hate me but I'm willing to live with that. 

Special thanks to @Mike87 for sending me the male spades to the coil. I may be able to fire this car next week, assuming nothing else needs replacing. That will be nice. 

IMG_3189.thumb.jpg.26aa22fce97937a71608f1d0add98965.jpg

I have another large box coming from Blunt to supplement this car, as well as a carpet kit from Esty. Next week will be a busy week indeed. I can't wait. 

Edited by danco_
  • Like 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

4 minutes ago, danco_ said:

Yesterday I borrowed a pressure washer from our own Mike Pelly. Plan was to pressure wash the undercarriage of the orange car, but I got carried away washing about 800 sq. ft. of deep, dark green moss on the sidewalk. My god, it was pure therapy. I want to pressure wash everything I own. I think I'll pressure wash my interior next. 

Through which orifice?

:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Well, someone is certainly utilising his quarantine time to the max...!!  ?
Impressive work Ryan - I'm amazed as to how nice those inner wheel arches came up after some pressure washing.
Looking forward to seeing it sitting on sexy 13" Alpina alloys...  ?

A little off-topic, but hope you keep enjoying your airborne time.

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

12 hours ago, 02Anders said:

Well, someone is certainly utilising his quarantine time to the max...!!  ?
Impressive work Ryan - I'm amazed as to how nice those inner wheel arches came up after some pressure washing.
Looking forward to seeing it sitting on sexy 13" Alpina alloys...  ?

A little off-topic, but hope you keep enjoying your airborne time.

Thank you Anders! Flying is very fun and rewarding. 

Every day I can do something else. For instance, today my good friend @HBChris came by to help me diagnose a no-spark issue. Really, he did all the work and found both the problem and the solution in about 20 minutes. Car fired right up and idled. Gas in the tank is 15 years old so I'll have to take care of that next, but a little starter fluid went a long way. Very happy with progress today. 

IMG_3236.MOV

Still need to locate complete exhaust and a rear swaybar with hardware. I'm close.

Next up is carpet kit and then brakes. 

Edited by danco_
  • Like 4

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Time to figure out why my damn air cleaner isn't lining up with the throttle body. 

Looking back at a previous tii, It looks like brackets welded on the orange car are in the right spot +/- 5mm, but I the whole system seems off about 40-50mm in total.  I don't think it's a motor mount issue when I look at the fan to radiator clearance.

Wonder if it's the wrong airbox all together? I don't have another tii close to me to inspect. Hmm. The search continues. 

Quick side by side with my malaga tii and this orange car. 

1385001843_ScreenShot2020-03-29at11_13_50AM.thumb.png.4a48a06862264a0d12e5d3956318012d.png

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

A tii takes a smaller battery than a non-tii. And is the battery tray lower as well? How did the converter of your Colorado car address the battery issue!

Measure from the front of the front airbox cover to the radiator support. Compare that measurement to a factory tii. Sorry, my tii’s in storage, but here are a few photos of it, and it’s airbox.

Best regards,

Steve

4F789FA8-164F-46A4-A973-90CB32184A7E.jpeg

F582DE4F-2181-4121-BFBD-D1512B3695CB.jpeg

863E021D-78E2-4343-A869-A32F4B0F13E4.jpeg

E255F7D3-044A-4488-BE09-77294408EAB5.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The filter box seems to be hacked up bad. It's shortened (notice the seam?) and then the horn is cut because it would not fit but still managed to offset the throttle body connection. To me it looks the mounts are 15-20mm off. Motor orientation could make another 10mm.

It was really tough to make the tii filter fit when I made my faux tii but I did succeed better than this fella. Still throttle return spring rattles against the air horn after years fiddling with it...

How about focus on that carbed motor you have there?

image.png.2179381fa4ab2ce5203190633d7cb855.png

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

To me it looks the mounts are 15-20mm off

Front mount - maybe not the rear one.

I have to add that this is an awesome project for quarantine. Amazing how little rust there is comparing to appearance in the first pics. It's the California cars that we keep dreaming...

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I'll try to get proper measurements of everything today and throw them up here. You guys with the real Tii's assuming you have nothing better to do, may be able to get your measurements and we can compare. 

I have a feeling @Tommy is on the right track and I will confirm this later.

@Conserv, I'm seeing a regular  bolted battery tray (although it's painted white, which will be corrected later). There was a large battery when I got it, but threw in a proper 26R as per tii requirements. I should also note that this car has a standard 2002 brake booster, not a tii booster. Something I **MIGHT** correct, though may not be imperative to do so, if I go with the hot rod m10. 

As for measurements, I'll do that shortly. But looking at both airboxes, it looks that at the very least, the center and rear sections look to be a bit "off" at the least. I'm trying to think which other BMWs came with similar-to-tii airboxes. Maybe the coupe guys could chime in. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards