• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underbody Fuel Line Routing

02TurboMI

I use 3/8" copper rubber isolated for both supply and return in the stock frame rail location meeting fuel line rubber with proper fuel line clamps. Fuel cell foam in the stock 1974 tank, E30 pump and sender in the tank 2nd pump on top feeding a surge tank because if your power adder allows you to accelerate hard enough she will starve.

thumbnail.jpeg

• Like 1

@Son of Marty @TobyB To be ultra specific, I'm planning on using Earl's UltraPro double-helix ribbed PTFE, braided stainless steel hose (https://www.holley.com/products/plumbing_an_fittings_and_hose/hose/ultrapro/ultrapro_stainless_steel_braided/parts/690006ERL).

I'm confident this can withstand daily driving in harsh environments without breaking down. Or no?

I just used stainless steel tubing

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220208-25

and stainless tube nuts

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-ss581806erl

with a stainless lube for assembly.  I brazed the ends on for the race car,

simply because I didn't have the tube nuts at the time.

I wouldn't spend THAT much to deal with fuel- it's not THAT

dangerous, compared to a lawyer with a loaded briefcase...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

OK I'll state I'm pretty much anti stainless hose on cars, IMHO the only place it can be justified on a 02 is the brake hoses other wise again IMHO using a hose with a 3000 psi bursting strength to handle a 30 psi fuel system just plane lacks any engineering  elegance, adds weight and a host of other problems for no good need. Tubing on the other hand is light weight and probably has a burst pressure above 6000 psi and needs almost no maintenance. But it your car and what you are proposing will almost surely work for a long while, so do what you want. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

E30 pump and sender in the tank 2nd pump on top feeding a surge tank because if your power adder allows you to accelerate hard enough she will starve.

I learned the hard way that if you put the regulator in the trunk, and accelerate at a good clip, 

fuel has enough mass that you also run low.

Likewise, hard braking will overrun the floats in DCOEs.

stupid classical physics.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

OK I'll state I'm pretty much anti stainless hose on cars, IMHO the only place it can be justified on a 02 is the brake hoses other wise again IMHO using a hose with a 3000 psi bursting strength to handle a 30 psi fuel system just plane lacks any engineering...

I'll take that. It does seem overkill for a daily driver. But I like overkill too (Murphy's Law). My main concerns are sagging and deterioration before the end of the life of the car itself. I may just go hardline. What are some of the best quality that's easy to deal with hardline (brand) for fuel?

Edited by 02TurboMI

This is what I used. Steve from Blunt suggested it. Aluminum fuel line tubing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2516

Deleted the underbody fuel pump and went with one in the tank. I ran it all along the stock hard line locations, securing it as I went. I used high pressure rubber fuel injector line to mate it to the tank and the engine once it had arrived where it needed to be. Transitions from tube to hose were double clamped. Worked great, looks great, cheap as well.

I think I have more than half of the roll leftover. IIRC I needed 11 feet. (could be wrong, it's been a while)

As I said earlier, it was a challenge to pre-bend it before 'threading' it through the rear subframe and down the underside of the car, but it's easy to bend, kind of like cuneiform brake line. 

The PO (or a mechanic) had used rubber hose. That stuff went right in the trash.

Edited by NYNick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1 hour ago, NYNick said:

Transitions from tube to hose were double clamped.

With no barbs or bubble bumps in the tube to keep the hose from slipping off, a more secure choice for the high pressure supply is the flare nut with a tube sleeve from places like Earl's.  The backing piece takes the twisting action when tightening to protect the aluminum tube.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I ran 5/16" aluminum from trunk all the way to within a few inches from connection on dcoe45, when I bought car someone had a rubber line all the way up next to crimp on rocker below door that was zipped tied, It was out of the way of everything so I just followed the same route plus aluminum is easy to bend without collapsing

As I said earlier, it was a challenge to pre-bend it before 'threading' it through the rear subframe and down the underside of the car, but it's easy to bend, kind of like cuneiform brake line. 

Man, I'd be leery of using cuneiform line on my car. That stuff's gotta be ancient!

[emoji6]

-Dave

Posted from my phone.

• Like 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

I bought NiCopp nickle/copper tubing (~$40 for 25' of 3/8) and Swagelok AN tubing fittings - https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/Product/Detail?part=SS-600-6-6AN

Plan is to run short sections of Aeroquip socketless hose with AN fittings for the hookups.

I bought all the stuff, but no motivation to go out in the cold and install it.

• Like 1

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

I will post some photos tonight but I ran CuNi tubing for supply and return along the factory route. To secure, I welded little weld-nuts to the floor and then screwed clips to them. It came out pretty good although I determined that tube bending is much more difficult than it looks.

C7510B8A-3841-44C9-B3EE-E09186B4CCF8.jpeg

Edited by pato2002
Added clip pic.

1974 BMW 2002 (in progress)

1987 Porsche 911 (mostly complete)

Blog: Broken Boomerang

On 12/6/2019 at 8:35 PM, TobyB said:

I learned the hard way that if you put the regulator in the trunk, and accelerate at a good clip, 

fuel has enough mass that you also run low.

Likewise, hard braking will overrun the floats in DCOEs.

stupid classical physics.

t

Toby,

I last had dual 40 dcoe Webbers on my stage 2 M10 no pressure regulator, 20 years ago.

For the last 20 a sorted single turbo 13b rotary under hood produces some impressive thrust.

Apples and oranges, rice and strudel...