• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koni sport vs Bilstein HD

doza59

Looking at Bilstein web site shows rear B6 shocks and front struts with two part numbers each: 24-008037 and 24-632140 for rears, 34-000236 and  34-632192 for fronts. Any ideas on the differences?

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

That didn't take very long at all!  The front's took me 1 hr per side - a lot better than the 4 hrs I was reading about.   So far I can tell you I love the IE stage 1 springs.  The Koni's are set up full stiff in the rear ? (2 full clockwise rotations) and the fronts are 1.5 clockwise rotations.  The "shimmy" I was feeling in my steering wheel is completely gone!  The height looks great and I'm not scraping the arches in the bumps.  After pulling my HD's, I'm pretty confident they're past their prime.

1969 - 2002 - 1664158.jpeg

• Like 1

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

On 6/19/2020 at 6:47 AM, TobyB said:

Suggestion- start almost full soft.

Then stiffen the front more than the rear,

at least at first. 

And be sure to test rough- pavement behaviour in a safe place.

NOT right up against a walll

t

from experience.

So you did just the opposite that TobyB advised. 

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Although clockwise rotations on many car dampers decreases damping...

d

has GC adjustable Koni's at almost wide open

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

10 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yes - only because I had completed the rear before Toby had made his comments and since the rears are easier to remove and adjust... I'll be trying the rears in different settings, most likely finishing in the configuration TobbyB recommended..

• Like 2

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

So here I guess the marketing meeting for Bilstein went as follows: 

Hans: Hey Gunter! There are a few of those BMW people with their 2002's  that are asking questions about our shocks and struts. 

Gunter: Well, there is confusion about what are new designations are for HD's vs Sports. 

Hans: I agree, there are two different part numbers for the B6's. 

Gunter: Ya. I know. It is confusing. 

Hans: They are asking which ones are standard and which ones go with lowering springs. 

Gunter: What does it matter? There are not available anyway!!! 

Hans: Haha!  Haha!  You are so right my friend. 

Gunter: Haha! Lets go out for a beer. 

Hans: Sounds great! Who's buying? 

Silence.........

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

I think the problem lies with the North American importer, I mean they are still available in Europe. Oh by the way both shocks will work with lowering springs in the 02 era they both have the same stroke,

• Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

So here I guess the marketing meeting for Bilstein went as follows: 

Hans: Hey Gunter! There are a few of those BMW people with their 2002's  that are asking questions about our shocks and struts. 

Gunter: Well, there is confusion about what are new designations are for HD's vs Sports. 

Silence.........

Respectfully, the problem is the total number of 2002 rear shocks sold barely justifies 1 part number.

9 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

I think the problem lies with the North American importer, I mean they are still available in Europe. Oh by the way both shocks will work with lowering springs in the 02 era they both have the same stroke,

Well, so much for my attempt at humor. 

Bilstein needs to come out with some sort of explanation. It may be true that the American importer failed, but there have been rumors about losing a manufacturing site, re-tooling, etc. etc. My suspicion is the European suppliers have them available because their stock has not dried up yet. American suppliers keep pushing back the delivery date. Why is that? 

But still no clarity on what is going on with the 2 different B6 model numbers etc. 

So I think we all have to migrate to the K's :Koni's and KYB's for gas shocks. Or go back to an OEM Oil set available from Bluntech. 

Anyone want to gamble on some Cheap Stagg shocks/struts?...didn't think so. 

Anyone have the $$$ to get some custom made shocks from the UK?. Good for you. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

On 6/22/2020 at 2:47 PM, Carlos_M said:

That didn't take very long at all!  The front's took me 1 hr per side - a lot better than the 4 hrs I was reading about.   So far I can tell you I love the IE stage 1 springs.  The Koni's are set up full stiff in the rear ? (2 full clockwise rotations) and the fronts are 1.5 clockwise rotations.  The "shimmy" I was feeling in my steering wheel is completely gone!  The height looks great and I'm not scraping the arches in the bumps.  After pulling my HD's, I'm pretty confident they're past their prime.

1969 - 2002 - 1664158.jpeg

I love it!  Looks awesome, Carlos!

Rich

Rich Elliott >> 1970 BMW 2002 >> a.k.a. LowKeyBuilds

>> CLICK HERE to check out and subscribe my build progress on YouTube! 

>> CLICK HERE to check out and follow my build on Instagram!

lowkey-60.png.f37d29a345edd0b40683374af6de942c.png

Honestly, I've been really happy with the Ground Control full kit with the single, externally adjustable Koni's.  For reference, I've had a couple of cars with the Ohlins DFVs, and my tii had MCS.  The Koni's are fully good enough for jamming around town.  I haven't asked them to do any track days yet, but they're really good for driving around.

My car is 2500 on the scales, 350/300 (I think), and the wife doesn't mind riding in the car at all (Ohlins in her car.)

If you're ok with modifying your stuff, send it in to GC, get the full kit back- they're warrantied for life.  The adjusters actually adjust.  It's really a step into the more modern world of suspension.

I just sold my MCS to a guy here and was lining up another set, but the Koni's are really good, I found a crazy deal on some old GC Advanced Design shocks, and a new FS MTN bike is calling my name...  I'm a total suspension snob, and the Koni's are easily good enough that I'm buying a mountain bike instead of a new set of MCS 2WNR...

• Like 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 6/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, ssp2019 said:

Bilstein UK has them, front and rear HD.  Only place that has front ones in HD, AFAIK. Here's the link.  Got mine months ago with reasonable shipping costs.

Good luck

Front Bilstein B6 - Sport Shock Absorber - 34-000236 - Bilstein-Shocks.co.uk.webloc 133 B · 22 downloads

I can't find a way to get them to ship outside of the Europe via the website.  Beware anyone going here they list the B8s as B6s (check the part # to be sure).  

I installed Koni shocks all around when I did my restoration in '86. To be honest, I'm not sure what model they are. The fronts have rebound adjustment by means of turning the adjuster at the top of the shock. The rears are non-adjustable. To compliment the shocks, I have Eibach springs, fronts have 1 coil removed and rear spring pads have also been removed. Adjustable camber plates up front, along with a Turbo front bar and Dinan adjustable rear bar.

It's taken me a while to get the car sorted, but this combination is a great set up for both street/track performance. By adjusting the fronts, you can dial in as much understeer/oversteer as you want. Grip is provided by Bridgestone 195/50R15 RE-71R gummy bears. 

IMG_1802.JPG

DSCN4040.JPG

DSCN4041.JPG

IMG-3467.JPG

• Like 2

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

Response from John Trexler, Technical Sales and Warranty Support Expert

thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc.:

The B6 strut insert we catalog for the 2002 has not been discontinued. It has been on a heavy backorder and we should receive stock in the coming months. See illustration below from our catalog:

still don’t know if B6 is equivalent to HD if labeled “Performance”

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911