• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koni sport vs Bilstein HD

doza59

You really need to match up the shocks to the springs you are running. I did a bad combination once to learn this lesson. I put Bilstein Sports on my stock springs. Bouncy as hell and the stance looked like I was ready for some off roading.  You say that it is slightly lowered, so I'm assuming you have a different setup from stock? I'm a big fan on Bilstein but I don't mind the Koni's either. 

And I've heard the Bilstein Sport front with the HD rear makes for a better sport ride- Probably has a lot to do with spring rates, too.  Not just stiffer / harsher / more 'sporty' feeling, actually better.

But it doesn't matter if they aren't available.

Oh, but I do have a set of MCS double adjustable non-remote shocks I'm going to be putting up for sale, with Eibach springs and complete GC mounting hardware (camber plates, rear shock mounts, rear preload adjusters) if you'd prefer obscene suspension...  All of it made here in the States- MCS is in Georgia, GC is in CA as well as Eibach, if that matters to you.  Forgot to mention, they're on tii spindles.

Edited by irdave

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

IMO Bilstein HD all the way, though this is the first I've heard about availability issues. They might be re-named from HD to B6s now fwiw.  Bilstein Sports (now B8s) are generally much too stiff for anything short of a full track car.  Having personally had both Sports and HDs on my car (with H&R springs) I will STRONGLY recommend against Sports on any street car, though everyone will of course have his own opinion.

• Thanks 1

yes, lots of opinions but have had to correct dozens of DIY installs and have found

sport Bilsteins with lowered springs will rattle your teeth out on the street !   Best to stick with fairly stock ride height with  Bilstein HD's (if can get).  Best option is using in a coil over configuration for front struts and adjustable spring shock for rears.

Issue is coil setup pricey and generally has to be built to order so not budget friendly but well worth it if want lower ride height and smooth ride !

Wonder if anyone has done coilovers with less expensive struts and shocks then the Bilsteins as might be a budget friendly turnkey solution ?

Oh, Koni yellows, for sure.  Their adjustability is impressive,

given that they're singles, and anymore, they're not that expensive.

Relative to everything else...

So:  Bilstone has re"branded" their "dampers".

'Touring' is now B2, HD is B4, I don't know what's "after", Sport is B6, and for fantsier cars,

I think it goes all the way to P12 or something goofy.  I'm sure it also has to do with 

the ability to adjust low and high speed damping, etc....

As to 'custom' springs being more expensive, a conversion to 2 1/2" springs

makes the springs themselves one of the cheapest parts of the job.

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Like I stated before, I bought the sport shocks. I personally don't really like them. I haven't put the lowering springs on yet. I am told that will improve the ride but I'm not expecting much. Adjustable Koni's might just be the way to go. That sounds like the best of both worlds for me. That's going to be an expensive mistake on my part if I don't end up liking the sports with the lowering springs. Basically, it's the Ireland Stage 2 setup. 

So what from I can discover: At least on das Bilstein vebsite...

B4: Stock equivalent but Bilstein awesomeness....

B6: Normal ride height: HD performance (Most Stage 1 springs)

B8: Lowered ride height: Tooth chipping Sport performance. (Stage 2 springs) 

If you wish, you can check Ebay U.K. and Germany and find some Bilstein front struts.

For HD's Search under: 

Bilstein 34-000236 B6

You can find rear shocks  34-000237 on just about any website in the US. (Rock Auto, Autoanything, Tire Rack etc.) 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

Bilstein HDs have been on my '73 since 1981 and have covered well over 150k miles, partly with a completely stock suspension and the remainder with H&R sport springs and larger swaybars.  They feel just as tight as the HDs on my '69 with less than 10k miles. 

I did have Konis on the front of the '69 for about 40k miles back in the 1970s, until one of 'em simply came apart inside the strut. The weld at the top of the tube failed.  No warranty.  When a Bilstein froze up, I got a new one forthwith. 

FWIW...

mike

PS--the '69 has had a pair of DeCarbon rear shocks installed since 1974.  DeCarbon is a French company who apparently invented gas shocks--and licensed production to Bilstein. Mine are still going strong--I've worn out the rubber mounts and had to replace them, but the shocks are still perfect.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I must have a different level of pain tolerance...I have been daily driving a VERY low 2002 for 8 years now on Bilstein Sports and IE Stage 2 springs.  Firm yes...harsh?  I would not say it's harsh.  I actually do about 2-3 1000 mile road trips a year as well (sometimes they are turnarounds...1000 miles in one day)...and I always arrive fresh and with a smile on my face because of the 02...I happen to like the firm ride of the Sports...now a caveat...these are older Sport shocks I bought used and the fronts are the green ones...I was told they hold up better...maybe they are a little smoother...or maybe they just work well with the IE Stage II spring rates.  I have a spare set of strut tubes and new Eibach coilover springs that I was going to make a set of front coilovers with, but why bother at this point...I am happy with the handling, ride and ride height.

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I have always used Bilstein HD for all builds with stock springs.  For more performance (lower, firmer springs) I use sports.

Depending on your seats and tire profiles, the ride can be harsh with either set up.  For the best customized setup I would go with a high quality coil over setup.  Of course polyurethane bushings throughout, will aid in handling and a firmer feedback for the driver.  All boils down to personal preference of the driving experience.   The best part is it can all be changed later if you don't like it.

Cheers 

Timely post.

For those who have Bilstein HDs, H&R springs and 15" wheels/tires, what do you use for spring pads front and rear? Especially interested hearing from those with fixed camber plates on the front which seem to raise the front a bit more. I've also read about some who don't use spring pads but do use rubber water hose on the springs.

47 minutes ago, TodB said:

Timely post.

For those who have Bilstein HDs, H&R springs and 15" wheels/tires, what do you use for spring pads front and rear? Especially interested hearing from those with fixed camber plates on the front which seem to raise the front a bit more. I've also read about some who don't use spring pads but do use rubber water hose on the springs.

Well from what I remember.... it depends. 

Spring pads front: same thickness top and bottom. Not really that thick. 

Spring pads rear: 3 different thicknesses see Ireland Engineering. They sell urethane pads with two thicknesses. 

Some years 74-76? may have some metal spacers to raise the car to conform with DOT bumper height requirements. (too lazy to peruse the FAQ at this moment) 

Then...Some with the heavy bumpers will have varying response to spring lowering changes due to the added weight

Then...

Edited by Vicleonardo1
edit.

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me.