• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E10 engine rebuild

Hudo's 1st 02

11 minutes ago, mike said:

You can usually tell by other methods whether the odometer is 82k or 182k.  Look at the pedal pads; they're remarkably long lived, and shouldn't show much wear at 82k.  How's the clutch?  On a squarelight like yours, the clutch is good for 100-125k miles, depending on the driver. If it's 82k, it may well be original; at 182k I'm sure it won't be.  Check all around the car for old oil change stickers, receipts in the glovebox, under the seats etc.  If it was previously titled in Colorado, the state DMV may be able to help.  Many states have archives that can provide previous owner's names etc.  And most states require an odometer statement from the seller that certifies the mileage is correct. 

I'd also do a compression and then a leakdown test to determine compression, then go on the FAQ archives and read up on determining engine condition--smoking on acceleration, smoking on deceleration (throttle closed), color of smoke emitted etc.  As was previously stated, unless horribly abused, M10 motors last a long time--my '69 has 226k on the original engine with nothing more than a valve job at 157k.  Still going strong, too.

mike

This is all great info, thank you for taking the time to provide it. I’ve cleaned the car out, no helpful info there. The seller sign the disclosure for 82k miles. But the other info will be helpful. Thanks again !

I wouldn't automatically assume a rebuild. Like others have said, check the obvious like compression... Also change the oil and inspect what was drained (smell, look and feel it). look around the head and manifolds for leaks. check the ground for leaks. then driving it, pay attention to smoke on deceleration, oil consumption, temperature reading, coolant consumption. 

Find a trustworthy BMW 2002 guru locally and have a professional inspection done ($100-$200), if you did not do so before purchasing the car. This will give you a list of what to address and/or keep an eye on.

most of all, have fun!

I bought a '74 last year. my odometer says 116K. I have no history of the motor, though, it seems to do OK. The block has no VIN on it so I'm assuming it's a replacement. I had a full inspection after I bought it and have been addressing needs as I drive it on a regular basis. I'll push it to 100 mph and have completed several 300+ mile trips in it the last few months. I plan to buy another motor and rebuild it on my own and with help from a friend over the next 12-18 month, mostly for the fun of it. I am fine with how these machines go, so I'll be doing a stock rebuild. In the meantime, I'm pulling the motor this winter to replace the motor mounts and freshen some seals. 

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

Like Mike says. Find out the general health of motor first. If you haven't done so already, change ALL fluids to establish baseline for maintenance. You don't want to embark on engine rebuild just for fun. Then review status of suspension, steering components, wheel bearings, drivetrain, etc.

Hudo,

Do not be so fast to let your new 2002 go.  If you have not driven the car much, do not know much of its provenance, and are not all that familiar with 2002's, you might be in for a surprisingly pleasant treat.  Drive it as is, drive it a lot as is, and then drive it a lot more as is.  During that time, tinker with it, play with it, taste it, yell at it, spend daily time on this 2002FAQ site, learn all you can about it, and meet with and jack your jaws with other 2002 owners.  I predict you will find your car special in more ways than you ever expected, not the least of which is the joy of meeting fellow owners. 

A 2002 is not your typical "Hey, what year is that?" old car.  Soon you will know why.

Larry

PS:  ...and who knows, your engine might never need a rebuild.  My first 2002 went 250,000 miles over 34 years without one.

• Like 3

More pictures please :) Looks like a beautiful example and a couple interior and multiple engine pictures will give you a a whole slew of "free" advice about the condition and originality of the car, along with some possible "safety" suggestions. Everyone on this FAQ has 20/20 vision when viewing engine bay pictures - ha ha.

Have fun!

• Like 1

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

2 hours ago, worzella said:

More pictures please  Looks like a beautiful example and a couple interior and multiple engine pictures will give you a a whole slew of "free" advice about the condition and originality of the car, along with some possible "safety" suggestions. Everyone on this FAQ has 20/20 vision when viewing engine bay pictures - ha ha.

Have fun!

I will definitely do that. Thanks

About, engine concerns, great advice from this site. 

But not to derail this thread, if your are a new owner, don't neglect rust/body. Just as important.

Just about all these cars that have not had rust eradication, will require some. 

Welcome to the 2002 community. 

Cheers!. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

Hey, you’ve got a tii clock — and it’s even the correct crosshairs style with full hood! Back in ‘76, when I added one to my ‘76, this particular post-factory mod seemed more common than it is today.

Regards,

Steve

2631E7D1-3D7D-4319-906F-E6CAC8A3C46E.jpeg

67BF59FC-51B7-4E4C-8753-AD2C87835C2D.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hudo,

You could start with the easy stuff:  sorting out the engine bay.  Clean it.  Arrange hoses and wires in neater, shorter, more direct, and more reasonable paths.  Replace old/cracked wires and fuel and vacuum hoses.  Clean all grounds.  Reroute that fat red positive battery cable away from the negative battery terminal (current route gives me the willies).  For ideas, look for the multitude of photos of impressive engines and bays on this site.   

These suggestions relate to my "play with it" and "taste it" comments in my December 31 post.

Regards and have fun.

I'm helping a friend rebuild her 'new' '73 Bronco.  The guy at the shop was fretting over new vs. rebuilding the rods.  I asked him how much they were- $300 for new rods.  I said out loud,"For all 8?!  I just paid $600 for 4 for my 2002 hot rod motor..."  Yeah, 302's are cheaper to rebuild.  They're fun, but I prefer the 2002.

That car looks pretty nice- just drive it is good advice.  You *can* modify the crap out of them, but you don't really need to- and it really is a good idea to wait a little while before you start.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Great pix. Thanks. 

A question for the FAQers... what is this fat hose connecting? I know this must be a 75/76 with AC, but I can’t figure what this is. Seems to go from oil filter area to some item low on the engine driver side

AC related for that particular unit? My 75 had half a Behr system left when I got it and on that I thought the compressor was low on the pass engine side

ECD91862-886B-41A1-920D-000AC1D9DA5C.thumb.png.c947d4266cdf2cef89899386b742f01b.png

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com