• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About my rebuilt engine ...

d.hitchcock

There were 3 different OEM "piano top" pistons for the E12 Head.  Each piston's piano was progressively thicker.

8.3 to 1 for regular 02s

9.0 to 1 for US spec Tiis

9.5 to 1 for Euros spec Tiis and built motors.

Hard to tell what you are running under that E21 head?  Either the pistons were modified (see 4th photo) or the E21 Head was modified for the piano top pistons.  If the head was decked, that will also change the compression ratio.  If the pistons are aftermarket (QSC), their "piano top" pistons are very aggressive (high compression).

Mark92131

s-l300.jpg

image.jpeg.14a88e37cbcd6b12f5d73446aa7d3ccf.jpeg

2002highcomp.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

My ‘76 (49-state version) retains an E21 head. It has custom aftermarket pistons one might describe as “quasi-piano-top” to achieve a compression ratio of approximately 9.3 to 9.4. My ‘76’s head has not been shaved.

Regards,

Steve

9E99504F-A0E0-454A-AAD9-F83084E1540F.jpeg

31660492-AB0F-4BBF-B055-AA50BCEF68C5.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If you have an e21 head and stock piano top pistons from an earlier M10, you aren’t going to have any compression because your pistons are going to interfere with, and bend your valves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

The head is off the car at the machine shop, so I'll get some numbers back to indicate whether it's been "pruned" before.

Thanks for all the background on piano-top pistons. The ones in my engine have no markings on the tops, but they look most like "Conserv's" to my untrained eye. They are evidently not piano tops from an early M10 as there is no interference.

Thanks, Steve, for the data points on your engine.

pistons.jpg

Edited by d.hitchcock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, williamggruff said:

If you have an e21 head and stock piano top pistons from an earlier M10, you aren’t going to have any compression because your pistons are going to interfere with, and bend your valves. 

Not entirely true.

The spare motor I bought had e12 domed pistons and an e21 head.  It had been rebuilt (poorly) at some point in time.

It can work, but it's not recommended.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

I am sure that a  BMW dealer actually recommended that I buy and the modify an e21 head to go with e12 pistons. Part of the squish area in each chamber of the head needed grinding away.  Not clear if that was BMW’s advice or just that guy. 

Maybe in a post apocalyptic world I would do that so I was mobile enough that I could raid my neighbors for their irradiated water. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

6 hours ago, xr4tic said:

Not entirely true.

The spare motor I bought had e12 domed pistons and an e21 head.  It had been rebuilt (poorly) at some point in time.

It can work, but it's not recommended.

Your experience was perhaps better than mine. The motor in my first 2002 had been rebuilt by the previous owner immediately before he sold it to me. It had piano tops and an e21 head tha. It ran poorly on the way home. I pulled the head and found the pistons all had valve impact marks, despite having had valve recesses machined into them. 

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

• 1 year later...

Gosh, I apologize for letting this slide, fellow FAQers.

Reassembly went fine with my engine, and there was no interference in the valve train.

During initial dyno tuning, the motor made 127.5 whp and 125.5 ft-lbs

Edited by d.hitchcock
  • Like 3