• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasoline leak and strong smell in cabin/trunk

ssp2019

On 7/15/2018 at 8:28 PM, chago997 said:

image.jpg

The wire terminal on the left should have an insulated cover on it.  Is that the plastic cover slid up the wire?

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Yes it is.  thank you.  I wonder why only one insulated cover and not both.  OTOH, like others have posted, the leak is worse when tank is full which points me to the o-ring on the sender.  The engine starts and runs really well with no fuel starvation, etc.  I ordered an o-ring from Blunttech and will replace also.  Not sure if I can tackle this myself with a full tank of gas and a lot of fumes.  Any specific instructions for removing the sender unit?  I see in previous responses it unscrews using a special instrument, or screwdriver to help twist.  thanks for the help folks

ground doesn't need to be insulated from itself...

Go for a long drive and get the tank below 2/3, get some helpers and 3 REALLY big screwdrivers, and have at it, as pictured above.

It's only hard the first time- as soon as you see how it works, it's not threatening.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

+1 on what Toby said. Plus:

Park on a flat surface.  Disconnect your battery.  Disconnect and Isolate the wires away from the work area.  Have some rags on hand to mop up any pooling fuel.  No open flames or smoking while working. (Just had to say it ).  Remove the hose.  Be prepared for fuel draining from the hose.  I usually clamp the hose with small (cloth-padded) visegrips to ensure the drainage is minimal.  Rotate the sender unit with screwdrivers or the special tool.   I've never actually seen a real special tool.  Screwdrivers work great.  Remove the sender unit.

Even if the fuel level is high, the fumes will not be overpowering. Clean up the surface area and apply the new o-ring.  Re-insert the sender unit and reverse the steps.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

chago997, If you haven't worked around gasoline, there are a few rules that minimize the risks.

Work in an open area if you can.  Having the car backed into a garage boxes you in.  With the back end out is easier to escape.

Ground yourself to the car.  Some use a grounding wire from you to the car.  If none, touch the fender at least. It doesn't take a flame thrower coil to set gasoline off.  We've seen it on tv where a flash fire happens even at gas stations.  It's entertaining unless you are looking up at the camera from the ground!  The pumps are gounded, touch them.  

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 3 months later...

update: my trusted mechanic found that the leak came from a crack on the metal tube that rises from the sender before it enters the rubber hose, right at the bend.  Most likely from heavy objects on top of the cover inside the trunk.  he was able to solder it.  thanks to everyone that chimed in and to Halboyles for sending me his plastic tube

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chago997 said:

update: my trusted mechanic found that the leak came from a crack on the metal tube that rises from the sender before it enters the rubber hose, right at the bend.  Most likely from heavy objects on top of the cover inside the trunk.  he was able to solder it.  thanks to everyone that chimed in and to Halboyles for sending me his plastic tube

Hal puts a little GPS tracker in every plastic tube he gives away.

?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 7/18/2018 at 1:28 PM, halboyles said:

When you are pulling the fuel sender out do it slowly as there is a tiny hole near the bottom that will leak until the sender is empty.  If you pull it out quickly the sender will pee all over your gas tank!

So, so true.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

On 10/24/2018 at 6:46 PM, ray_ said:

Hal puts a little GPS tracker in every plastic tube he gives away.

?

A bit redundant after the one the man shoved up your backside when you were born?

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

When this thread popped backed up, I drew a complete blank on whether I ever got Hal's bushing in the mail or used it.  Been a busy couple months, and recently had baby #2, so brain has been turned to mush for a bit.  

Haven't noticed the fuel smell in a while in the 02, so hadn't thought about it, and had to look in the trunk to see if I ever received/installed the bushing.  Yep, there it was.  Must've received it and installed it quickly and forgot about it, but it actually fixed my problem.  Thanks Hal!

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser