• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ran When Parked.

2002Scoob

4 minutes ago, Rastadog said:

2002Scoob, Happy birthday! Good luck getting your car started. TobyB and ray_ true and funny. My guess is we’re a few years older, chuckle. Alex

I think he knows the pros and cons of hitchhiking.

;-)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I’m not about to read all of this, but make sure your tach wire isn’t grounding out, which kills your spark.  Just pull the tach wire from dizzy or coil and see if it’ll fire.

• Like 2

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

And yeah, I assumed you tried running a Hotwire straight to coil from positive battery post, but a few recent comments say no.  With a Hotwire to a good coil, a jumper cable from negative battery post to block, tach wire disconnected, some starter fluid in air filter, something better fire, and if it doesn’t you try a different coil or dizzy setup.

• Like 1

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Man,

Still slacking. Had a rather exhaustive weekend down in Italy (holy hell Roger Waters puts on an epic show!!) and have been decompressing/putting allot of time in on the bike after work to burn off all that amazing food and gelato, haha. 

I wanted to tackle it this weekend, but looks like I'm back down to Italy to attend a bike festival at Lake Garda, so additional trouble-shooting will have to wait till next week. 

I'm going to start looking into a new work-shop space soon, Germans are a bit up-tight when it comes to having hobbies in public spaces/garages, let alone the fact the lights are on a 5 minute timer in my building's parking garage... makes things a wee-bit frustrating to work on stuff. 

but yes! I will get this solved next week.

10 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

I'm going to start looking into a new work-shop space soon, Germans are a bit up-tight when it comes to having hobbies in public spaces/garages, let alone the fact the lights are on a 5 minute timer in my building's parking garage... makes things a wee-bit frustrating to work on stuff. 

Amen to that!

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

11 hours ago, TobyB said:

The sympathy over here is drying up, you know, Scoob....

hee

t

Yah.... I know. It'll be figured out soon. :)

I'm excited to drive the car, but at the same time I've got this weird internal struggle that I wanna stop driving/building/working on petrol powered things. Deep Petrol-Head background with a conflicted eco-conscious mindset. That combined with a lack of workshop, and focus on other distractions lately means Brunhilde has taken a bit of a back-seat in life. . 

That said... I'm officially putting away pennies for an E-conversion... The motor I build last fall that's in the car is going to either get sold to fund it, or become a garage (or bachelor living room?) museum piece. (the #matching block is in oiled, dry storage.)

• Like 1

I’m not about to read all of this, but make sure your tach wire isn’t grounding out, which kills your spark.  Just pull the tach wire from dizzy or coil and see if it’ll fire.

DING DING DING DING!

e91d2e51a1e2523119fa802b0e992b84.jpg&key=e6e8b92875d695fd776768d54299a41a69abb950fdb830d5dadf33d8a26f129b

We’ve got a winner!

I’m gunna need your address because a Snickers will be headed your way!

How it went down today-

I went ahead and refreshed the body ground on the car, a few of the wires were a little fatigued, so everything got cut back with new ring terminals.

11caf4192bf262bf36df85cdb727b863.jpg&key=eb0ab809b383df57accebc80318ac9fd4b32cd04f0f81757bd84cc36dce4a9c1

1f810a3fbb19952426cba19e67256077.jpg&key=452bef6013b9336656b310981f41dffa8c2fb98cea9ef539c41c754757930c96

I then also ran a ground wire directly to the body of the distributor so there was no question. I did not, however, run a direct positive to the battery, as I wanted to check one thing at a time.

c3635addc9424f284f96f8abb8cb8cd4.jpg&key=b7ad05b84d2673a7fb54f6044a19a555444934d919db7cc5e45086cfb18fb4de

Again.... no spark.

So I checked the app and even though there’s 12.5 volts going into the dizzy, the 123 app’s voltmeter read low...

So here’s the thing... I’ve always had a second black wire running to the coil, but never knew what it was for.

I guess yah, it should be for a Tach... but my car doesn’t have a tach. So with the app open and the ignition on, I flicked off that extra wire which let off a sharp blue spark when it disconnected, and the volt-meter on the app jumped to 12.5 volts.

768056e1284c9c1a8cdd9c904d287107.jpg&key=5ed141ffb64403813cddadc26fd5df925731995b2c8f9c19b5bffed9fbb2a9d0

A few cranks later and it was off to the races!

But now this just leaves me questioning exactly what that black wire is for, and if it is indeed for a tach, what changed over the winter that it went from not grounded to grounded or whatever the issue is.... like I said... it’s always been connected to the coil.

I’m obviously going to leave it disconnected, but I’d sure be curious about what went wrong and why... the last thing I want is an electrical fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Part of me thinks back to the other only thing that went wrong over winter- My hazard light button failing.

I haven't dugg into fixing that yet (other than a business card wedged in there to keep it off) but I can't fathom it being the issue even if a lot of electrical goes through that connection.