2002Scoob

Ran When Parked.

161 posts in this topic Last Reply

(edited)

Place your bets!!! I'm not at the point of needing guidance yet, but thought since I'm playing a guessing game, you guys can too!

So, after hibernating the last 3.5 months, yesterday was finally warm enough to go for a drive. As the title says, last I drove her was spinning round the hills and running like a top. I filled up the tank, pulled the battery, and there she sat in the underground garage at my apartment. 

I changed the oil the day before after installing new rotors, wheel bearings, and brake pads. And yesterday morning spun the motor to build oil pressure, turned on the fuel pump and let run maybe 30-40 seconds. 

-CRANK CRANK CRANK CRANK--CRANK CRANK CRANK CRANK--CRANK CRANK CRANK CRANK-

Nothing. I check for fuel pressure, and the gauge is reading 0. A quick tap and the needle jumps from it's own slumber and jumps to 2 psi. I lightly tap the gas pedal (My DCOE's will flood the motor with minor provocation, so no pumping needed). 

Nothing. 

I pull pump and idle jets, and blast them out with my trusty friend 'brake cleaner' and reinstall. 

Nothing. Hmmmmh. 

Pulled the plugs, and sure enough they've got a bit of moisture on them (gas). So I do my typical ritual of spinning the motor to pull fresh air in through the plug holes, blast the plugs with cleaner to dry them out, and reinstall.

Nothing! WTH... She's usually grumpy when she wakes up but this is ridiculous. 

So I went to work by my trusty non-motorized bicycle steed, and rode back at lunch to try again. The Usual Ritual proceeded- Ignition on, Fuel pump on, prime 20-30 seconds, don't touch the gas pedal, 

-CRANK CRANK CRANK CRANK--CRANK CRANK CRANK CRANK--CRANK CRANK CRANK CRANK- NOTHING

Check that the dizzy isn't imobilized- Good

Check that dizzy/coil/connections all look good- Looks fine, wasn't touched since parked. 

Plugs look good. Wires look good. 

Tightened the idle adjustment screw a tad, as for some reason when really cold it looses it's set and idles SUPER low when it starts (~400rpm) 

Repeat starting attempts a few more times and give up and pedal my ass back to work. 

Setup-

Fresh self-built motor with 7-800km (lost count) 

Euro 9.5:1 Pistons

Schrick 292

Italian DCOE4032's. 

123 Ignition Distributor+Pertronix Flamethrower coil

Plugs look good. 

Loose Conclusions-

Wet plugs point to I'm getting fuel... 

Fresh motor that was running nicely should mean there shouldn't be any major issue like low compression...

No squirrels in the trumpets mean I should be getting air...

Next Steps-

Borrowing a voltage meter from the office and making sure I'm getting power to the coil, coil to the Dizzy, then dizzy to the motor.

If that proves fine- Blasting out the fuel passages in the carbs to make sure they're not gummed up. 

Pulling Carb-covers to confirm fuel in the bowls, and no sinking floats. 

And if that doesn't yield success, then.... I dunno. 

So! Place your bets! Winner gets a high-five and a Snickers Bar. 

Edited by 2002Scoob

Guessing no spark. Either you forgot about a fuse you removed or other theft deterrent device? 

• Like 1

Fuses!.. Hmmm. Hadn't thought to look at that, but will do. 

2 minutes ago, VWJake said:

Guessing no spark. Either you forgot about a fuse you removed or other theft deterrent device? 

Pull all the plugs and test the spark by grounding the plug threads to the valve cover or something as a helper turns the motor over (and don’t hang onto the plug wire). Since you have underground parking, little sunlight, you should see a good spark. I had this happen to me with a ‘76 a few years ago. Car sat for a few months in a dry 40+degree garage. Plugs were clean, got none or very weak spark on all 4. Changed plugs, fired right up.

Dan

I’m going to agree with it being electrical related. Underground parking can be damp with little circulation. Breeding ground for corrosion on all the electrical connections.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DanVT said:

Pull all the plugs and test the spark by grounding the plug threads to the valve cover or something as a helper turns the motor over (and don’t hang onto the plug wire).

+1.  You basically need three things for an engine to start and run, plus one more factor:

1.  fuel.  Your fuel pump is working, as the plugs seem to be wet with gas

2. compression.  It's unlikely that all four cylinders lost compression while stored

3. spark.  Wet plugs can mean no spark.  Do test above to confirm, and also check points for corrosion on 'em, and on the contacts on cap & rotor.  Even moisture on the cap's inside can cause a no-spark situation.

Additional factor:  spark arrives at the right moment.  Like compression, it's unlikely that the timing changed all by itself while the car was slumbering.

Let us know whatcha find.

mike

6 minutes ago, mike said:

check points for corrosion on 'em, and on the contacts on cap & rotor.  Even moisture on the cap's inside can cause a no-spark situation.

123 distributor don't have points, it is a computer controlled electronic distributor so there is nothing to close up or oxidize like points. Not saying they don't ever have issues.  I had to have mine rebuilt under warranty after 16K miles in Vern because it had 10° of free play when there should be none.

2 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

I had to have mine rebuilt under warranty after 16K miles in Vern because it had 10° of free play when there should be none.

This is a tangent, but will you please define "free play"?

3 minutes ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

This is a tangent, but will you please define "free play"?

When the car was off, the top of the distributor could be turned clockwise and counter clockwise a total of 10°. It should not have been able to be turned at all. Caused the car to hesitate and stutter on acceleration. I bought the switchable version because I have no interest in programming  and mapping curves. I want to set it and forget it.

• Thanks 1

123 has a theft deterrent system.  It’s the immobilizer feature. Check the immobilizer is off. I turned mine on and forgot and then it wouldn’t start.  

• Like 1

I'd check grounds also. 

Andrew, when did you see a coil go bad?

;-)

1 minute ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

How is your 123 Ray?

edit:  ;) 

It was excellent, right up until when I broke it (myself).

:D

50 minutes ago, jrhone said:

123 has a theft deterrent system.  It’s the immobilizer feature. Check the immobilizer is off. I turned mine on and forgot and then it wouldn’t start.  

Hah, yep. This was one of the things I checked to make sure i wasn't being a dolt. 

4 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Coils do go bad.

Fingers crossed this isn't the issue. The coil is less than 2 years and 5k miles old. 

Fingers double-crossed it isn't the 123, as it's been fantastic up till now. But their customer service seems to be pretty good. I'll know more this weekend. 

I'm serious about that Snickers... If you're right, its yours :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1