• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint matching tool / scanner

Dionk

"Accurate" is a very relative term

Heh.  

Yeah.

So the guy I bought the race car from had painted it with DelStar.

Good choice for a race car- cheap, fast drying, relatively abrasion resistant.

So the first time I fixed it, the paint shop color matched it.

It came out lighter.

The second time I fixed it, the paint shop color matched the new color

It came out even lighter.

So far, there hasn't been a third time- I found some green gaff tape that was a- 

wait for it-

little lighter.

heh

t

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

9 hours ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Color measurement/matching is one of the harder things we do at work.  We use the Konica Minolta FD-7 and Konica CM-700d.  "Accurate" is a very relative term.  It depends on surface gloss, texture, and opaqueness of the paint.  

+1

A friend has been painting for 30 years and helped me paint the hood and bumper on my e46 M3 last year.  The factory color wasn't even close so we used a match camera.  It said the closest color was an Acura, which was pretty close, but we ended up using about 20% of the flake that it called out for.  In the end it was close but noticeable to those who knew it has been painted, and a blend would've helped, but you should never expect color (or clear) to match.

17 hours ago, esty said:

take a part with the pint to an auto paint store

Thanks- the only paint still original is under the decals in the engine bay. I may have to get the car road worthy and drive it there.  

Like everyone has said, go to a pro paint-shop and they'll have much higher quality methods and tools to match paint colors than you'll find on Amazon.

And even then, those tools are just to get in the ballpark.

There's so many variables in mixing a proper paint match, it's more skill and experience. They'll probably do some sample-mixes, spray some test panels, let them cure, and use those to gauge what is, and isn't, a match. (depending of the paint/shade, typically colors dry a shade or two darker than when wet.)   And even then for perfect 'factory finish' matches it even comes down to the application process. You can have a perfect paint match, but if the surface texture/level of orange peel isn't perfect, the level of surface finish can dictate how light presents the color. so in the case of spraying individual panels you have to match not only color, but surface finish.

But shouldn't you be able to source a paint-code as a starting point by just knowing what your paint is? (Bristol, yah?) Maybe a better question is 'Has anyone had success matching 'X' paint color, and if so, How/Where/What?'

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Thanks 1