• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who's Been (Going to) Monterey?

As I get closer to leaving for Monterey in a couple of weeks, I'm thinking about the time I will spend there, while not at the track. This is my first time at this event so I'm wondering what do others do?  Cruise the town?  Walk the town?  Bar hop?  

What about an 02 barbeque?   If other 02s are camping at the track maybe a potluck barbeque is in order, say Saturday night.   I have a track-side campsite that I'm not using and can't seem to sell so at least I can bring my car into the camping area.

Experience, tall tales, and ideas please.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Spent some time last year ... it was a touch haughty for my taste, though it was a fine occasion to bring out a fancy hat. The Quail was "more show than go" as my Dad puts it, yet ideal if your sweetie is with you (I live in/around Los Angeles, so traffic in Monterey seemed ordinary).

Jeff (Ireland) rented a house out on the penninsula and had a BBQ, that was enjoyable. Good wine, as always.

There's a popular Mexican restaurant that's a big scene - friends were pointing out famous folks left and right.

All the BMW's ... but man, I liked the look of this Pacer pulling out of a side street.

20160819_120406.jpg

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

Edited by kbmb02
...vanity...or lack thereof

Last year, I got to go to lots of great events throughout the week, including Concours (no "e" on the end of this word folks!) on the Avenue, Legends of the Autobahn, The Quail, Tiny Cars (Pacific Grove), Mission and Pebble Beach. All were fantastic...sensory overload.

This year, my '72 tii has been invited to be judged at Concours on the Avenue on 8/15 in Carmel which I'm really excited about, as that is my favorite show...but unfortunately, I'll have to cannonball it back to The Bay Area afterwards.

I highly recommend The Fishwife in Asilomar and Pavel's Bakery in Pacific Grove.

COOP

Edited by COOP

The Hog's Breath Bar in Carmel was a favorite of mine. Apparently it's Clint Eastwood's bar - ChicoJoe took us there a few years back. In general, find a parking spot downtown on the wharf on one of those weekend nights and just wander. The street parked cars during Monterey weekend are always incredible.  

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

You will love it Paul. I road tripped there last year from Colorado and had a great time. I really just walked around taking in the sites. Went to town in the evenings for food and drink and enjoyed the street" show" there. The track and paddock area was more than enough for my 2 day visit and i did not make it to any other shows but you cannot go wrong with any event there. Talking with alot of strangers about a common love for classic cars and motorsport was a highlight. 

DSC03083.thumb.JPG.3a10f133577fed9ad3d72993eea4a1dd.JPGDSC03043.thumb.JPG.c01f459bcd1308f9f8f1bd6e5f480389.JPG

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Had such a great time last year, I'm heading back this year, flying not driving. 15th to 21st. Legends, Laguna & Pebble.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

You will have a wonderful time in Monterey! How can you not?

You will be surrounded by so much Car Candy! [emoji7]

I am there from Monday thru Saturday this year with Tesoro....

Honk if you see a schwarz 02 named Tesoro driving around Monterey! We'd be happy to stop and say hello! [emoji4]

PS: there are plenty of great restaurants that have outdoor dining where you can have a great view of the different cars driving by too...

I haven't heard of any 02 BBQ's this year, but if there are, I'm sure some friendly 02 friends will post it.

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

Thanks everybody.  I started a thread awhile back "Monterey or Bust".  Many of you have posted excellent suggestions for my travels and stops.  I will be trying to visit as many as the time permits AND I hope to use my GoPro to chronicle some of the highlights which I will post in that thread

I can't wait to enjoy the events of the weekend, Legends, Festorics, Races, but equally the evenings out.  I appreciate the comments and suggestions. 

Thanks Mike. I hear ya, but I'm not going further south than Monterey.  

My route: (highway gods willing)  Vancouver to Astoria by freeway. Next, I'm doing the Oregon coast (200 miles), then east to Medford (see friends), then over Grants Pass back to HWY 101 / 1.   Down the California coast to Bodega Bay and then east to Petaluma. Stopping in at Casey Motorsports (because I've always wanted to).  I'll cross the Golden Gate Bridge and then back to the coast to Monterey. My butt won't let me wander further south.:wacko:

2 hours ago, 02princessLisa said:

Honk if you see a schwarz 02 named Tesoro driving around Monterey! We'd be happy to stop and say hello! emoji4.png

Absolutely.  Unless you see us first.:):)

Decal5.jpg.de63b5381b3f14a5c7f6129053f31a14.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958