• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

I roped in the windshield and installed all the door glass today. Front glass went in great, happy to have a buddy’s help this time around. I did the rear glass solo and this time went quicker. Also very helpful to have a second set of hands on the door glass. I still need to do some adjusting as I get a bit of binding on the drivers window, but I’m really glad to have most of the glass back on the car. 

8280A718-40E6-4F1A-8A69-BAD6835C3620.thumb.jpeg.817f7f5ca6aaeebdf4ec323dd9fba725.jpeg

5703AEA7-CC11-46E3-A446-589486E79D90.thumb.jpeg.242c16e06e79b18d224e1fa72f550044.jpeg

• Like 8

This weekend we made some more progress regarding the fitment of the rear right shock tower panel.

After fitting it a couple of times and measuring the position it is almost time to weld it into the car.

The last thing that needed to happen was welding the lower section of the outer wheel wel to the other section of the panel. We will need to adjust the lip a little afterwards when fitting the outer repair panel for the quarter panel.

Just like on the other side of the car.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

We also test fitted the outer sill and door just to have an overall look on fitment of the remaining panels.

Also both panels got prepped to then spotweld them together

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally there was some light rust between the flanges of the floor and trunk panel.

The lower panel was still in good condition so it just got cleaned up a little, new piece got spotwelded with the spotwelder.

spacer.png

• Like 11

I pulled the valve cover and plugs to coat the valve train with oil in preparation to spin it up to build some oil pressure before attempting to start it.  While I was in there, I decided that the valve cover could use some sprucing, so I broke out the sanding block and touched it up with some satin black.  My Odyssey PC 680 battery I bought 4 years ago at the start of this project is no longer holding a charge, so I ordered a new one.  When I get it, I'll see if my RPM signal is working when I try using the starter to build up oil pressure.

I also wired up the gauges in my center console.  Lights work and dim, 12V gauge works, fan switch works, USB charger works, fingers crossed on Oil Pressure and Water Temp gauges.

Mark92131

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

• Like 11

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I’ve been off this project with a shoulder injury, but also seeing the really great work on this string has me a bit down on my project. Finally spent some time, after about 4 months, on the 75. One inch at a time. Today the quarter panels get the first of many sanding and smoothing steps. Falling behind, but not giving up.

IMG_2216.jpeg

IMG_2217.jpeg

Edited by Shiparino
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, Shiparino said:

I’ve been off this project with a shoulder injury

Steady on, Shiparino. As in elephant eating, it's one bite at a time. When I am hobbled by a ruptured lumbar disc, I try to do the small but needed stuff... clean small bits, go through fastener bags, rewrite the priority list, dream... some days the progress is small in the scope of things.

The documentation of Faq members and the work described on these pages is an inspiration and astounding in its detail. Each page and photo are testament to the love, desire, frustration, lust that is the 02. I have had the affliction for years, and now have two that occupy the deep recesses of my wobbly mind 😎.

Will it culminate in the grins brought by the scream of the 2 liter? Only time will testify.

right front.jpg

• Like 6

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

4 hours ago, OldRoller said:

Steady on, Shiparino. As in elephant eating, it's one bite at a time. When I am hobbled by a ruptured lumbar disc, I try to do the small but needed stuff... clean small bits, go through fastener bags, rewrite the priority list, dream... some days the progress is small in the scope of things.

The documentation of Faq members and the work described on these pages is an inspiration and astounding in its detail. Each page and photo are testament to the love, desire, frustration, lust that is the 02. I have had the affliction for years, and now have two that occupy the deep recesses of my wobbly mind 😎.

Will it culminate in the grins brought by the scream of the 2 liter? Only time will testify.

right front.jpg

Thanks @OldRoller, agreed even a little time with the car feels good, even though I pay for it later. ha  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tzei said:

Pressure plate is strong alright but this is new. Have to take a look at gearbox and take some measurements.

Have you learned out of the habit that they teach in driving school? "Push clutch when starting".. to maximize wear of your thrust bearing. 

I lifted my F20C on stand and printed the engine section of shop manual...

Edited by Tommy
  • Haha 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

2 hours ago, tzei said:

😂

I never start any of my cars clutch pressed cuz i love my thrust bearings too much.

Honda ate t/bearing too?

Good, me neither but VW won't start without clutch.😬

Honda suffered an oil hose failure in Alastaro and I'm replacing bearings just to be sure. It's a bit more of a project than with M10.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

More work on the Kamei air dam today, encapsulated the lower lip reinforcement (1/2" stainless square tubing, bent to the radius) in reinforced epoxy. Four tabs welded to the tubing to accept the forward end of four stainless 6" turnbuckles. These attach to the lower apron. The dam was readied for primer and final sanding. 

kamei reinforcement.jpg

Kamei dam.jpg

• Like 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC