• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

9 minutes ago, Eissmann said:

I’m getting a rumble under the floor behind me on vigorous acceleration. Two weeks ago my mechanic told me he had found a loose bolt on the guibo and replaced it.  Advised me the drive shaft needs attention.  Rumbling continues so I went under the car to inspect drive train  today.  It looks like my flange on the drive shaft is hogged out at the guibo where the loose bolt was replaced.  And the new bolt isn’t going to hold for long either. 
IMG_3598.thumb.jpeg.0ac323b3cc5dc85f6ea51bac74099527.jpeg

Just now, its55 said:
9 minutes ago, Eissmann said:

I’m getting a rumble under the floor behind me on vigorous acceleration. Two weeks ago my mechanic told me he had found a loose bolt on the guibo and replaced it.  Advised me the drive shaft needs attention.  Rumbling continues so I went under the car to inspect drive train  today.  It looks like my flange on the drive shaft is hogged out at the guibo where the loose bolt was replaced.  And the new bolt isn’t going to hold for long either. 

Expand  

possibly your propeller shaft is not properly aligned and could be stressing the guibo

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eissmann said:

I’d say that driveshaft flange is toast — is it the photo or is the underlying boss that fits against the giubo gone? The bolt looks suspiciously soft, but I’m guessing the mechanic just wanted to get you home. Those anodized bolts may be hardened bolts, but this is an application for which I wouldn’t use anything but the factory hardened bolts.  Wouldn’t drive it any more till that flange, the bolts and (no doubt) giubo addressed. 

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Metal work done on the 76. Two coats of epoxy primer, two coats of primer surfacer, now comes the sanding, guide coat, and more sanding! Fitted the Kamei air dam, not a perfect fit but a little slicing relief here and there achieved suitable results. Base and clear soon, can't come soon enough. 16 months of steady attention so far. 

Air dam fitting.jpg

Edited by OldRoller
  • Like 12

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

1 minute ago, OldRoller said:

Metal work done. 2 coats of epoxy primer, 2 coats of primer surfacer, now comes the sanding, guide coat, and more sanding! Fitted the Kamei air dam, not a perfect fit but a little slicing relief here and there achieved suitable results. Base and clear soon, can't come soon enough. 16 months of steady attention so far. 

Air dam fitting.jpg

Lookin great! Is that your shop? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0257 said:

I’d say that driveshaft flange is toast — is it the photo or is the underlying boss that fits against the giubo gone? The bolt looks suspiciously soft, but I’m guessing the mechanic just wanted to get you home. Those anodized bolts may be hardened bolts, but this is an application for which I wouldn’t use anything but the factory hardened bolts.  Wouldn’t drive it any more till that flange, the bolts and (no doubt) giubo addressed. 

I am pretty bummed. When he showed me the loose bolt he implied that whoever mounted the guibo f**ed up. He said "it must have been loose when installed because the lock nut won''t back off" He must have forgotten he installed it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

7 minutes ago, Eissmann said:

I am pretty bummed. When he showed me the loose bolt he implied that whoever mounted the guibo f**ed up. He said "it must have been loose when installed because the lock nut won''t back off" He must have forgotten he installed it. 

Ow.  Btw, while people will differ about the importance of this (and some insist on installing all giubo bolts toward the front so that the nuts point at the transmission), the arrow on the giubo shows the direction the bolt should point — 3 inserted toward the front, 3 toward the back.  So that silver bolt is inserted backward. 

Edited by 0257
  • Like 3

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

6 minutes ago, popovm said:

Is that your shop? 

My partner's shop. He does a lot of marine work also, hell of a welder. We have two in the works, a 74 and the 76. Never a dull moment! 

• Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

29 minutes ago, 0257 said:

The flange boss that fits with guibo is worn away. Can the flange be replaced or repaired by a competant shop?

Just now, Eissmann said:

The flange boss that fits with guibo is worn away. Can the flange be replaced or repaired by a competant shop?

Theoretical answer is yes, but I’m not sure they wouldn’t have to cut up a good driveshaft to get a matching flange.  I’ll bet there are decent shafts available in the classifieds on this site.  Mystery how it got that worn, when all it rides on is the rubber giubo….  I’m guessing there’s more to the story….

• Like 1

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

2 hours ago, Eissmann said:

5 spd, the driveshaft has been shortened.  If a different one is obtained, it will have to be fit to lenght, not just  swap out.

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Drove the Inka up to my company’s factory this morning. Belt was squealing and I found it to be loose. Played parking lot mechanic at the hotel; fortunately, I knew about this ramped curb. 

8BA350A9-D0C8-4F2E-9FA4-C0A0C27DB78D.thumb.jpeg.0f5fa02bc2164374ed05a69cef11f28a.jpeg

Easy, peasy…glad I’m still hauling around my tool bag in this car. 😁

Ed Z

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

3 hours ago, 0257 said:

....  Mystery how it got that worn, when all it rides on is the rubber giubo….  I’m guessing there’s more to the story….

The whole car is a mystery. No service history at purchase. It already had the 5 speed conversion when I got it.  It had the rumble too, so I had a new guibo and center support bearing installed at that time, hoping that would fix it. Maybe the flange was bad when I bought the car?

3 hours ago, 0257 said:

Mystery how it got that worn, when all it rides on is the rubber giubo

No mystery a loose bolt will hog out that hole in no time.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 11/5/2023 at 6:37 PM, Pablo M said:

I havent installed the 123 yet because I wanted to get it running again first. 

I pulled the head and had it rebuilt. So the dizzy came off as part of that. I am certain the cam/timing chain/crank are properly timed together, the head was #1TDC when it went back on.

And I drove the car to my friends house and into his garage, so it was running when I parked it couple months ago to remove the head (which had a bad exh valve). 

So, in my mind the only real setting that changed was the dizzy setting. I'm trying to find a photo of the dizzy so I can compare and see if I did get it in the same position as before it came out. Otherwise I don't know how to set the distributor on a non running motor. 

Did you pull the fish pump at all? If so, did you reset the pump at TDC with the crank? 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive