• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

11 hours ago, sczapiga said:

That coating would be perfect for my timing cover and other raw bead blasted parts BTW

If you plan on doing your timing cover (I want to as well)... couple things to consider:

1) You'll want a "water-break-free" finish prior to dipping (essentially when a water drop cannot bead, but rather breaks).  (only use gloves when holding your bead blasted parts to avoid recontamination).

2) It's not a long-lasting corrosion inhibitor (like anodizing would be). Given it's a good primer, using something like a clear Cerakote over top will likely be a good way to lock in the finish and have it last longer. 

4) Its toxic, so have a proper storage/disposal plan in place.

41 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

If you plan on doing your timing cover (I want to as well)... couple things to consider:

1) You'll want a "water-break-free" finish prior to dipping (essentially when a water drop cannot bead, but rather breaks).  (only use gloves when holding your bead blasted parts to avoid recontamination).

2) It's not a long-lasting corrosion inhibitor (like anodizing would be). Given it's a good primer, using something like a clear Cerakote over top will likely be a good way to lock in the finish and have it last longer. 

4) Its toxic, so have a proper storage/disposal plan in place.

Another solution to coat the parts to keep the gold finish is using a ceramic/quartz coating, example for coating wheels.

I've used Gyeon Q2 Rim on my  aluminium engine parts on my E30 Touring and after +3-4years it's still looks like the day I applied it.

spacer.png

Yes, I coated every nook and cranny on the transmission & transfercase...
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

I've gotten to see how much crossover there is in how things are made.  There are old NASA papers where you read them and you think.... this guy MUST have been a hotrodder

I’d say similar only in the sense of them  being more hands-on engineers, who liberally appropriated tech from all sources, and used an iterative fab & test-oriented approach, inventing or extending the needed tech if it didn’t exist, in the endless pursuit of weight reduction…:P

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Finally got ye olde steering box out and cleaned it up a bit. I was surprised how easy it was to get the three 17mm mounting bolts out, almost as if they weren’t properly torqued. Tomorrow i’ll start working on disassembling this thing. 

71926946564__A5E62F93-F3B6-42C3-96B7-9AD8FDDB549A.jpeg

71927222750__EDC58E7F-EF8C-418B-A506-AEEF80201137.jpeg

• Like 5

Replaced the door handle rubber and linkage grommets as well as lubed the window and lock mechanisms. Really improved the experience when opening closing and operating windows!

I also added a 91° (95-90c) fan switch in the water neck. I had an unknown switch in the radiator and it would kick in a little too soon keeping temps below the 1/4 mark. Now it kicks in at 1/2 way. 

IMG_1148.thumb.jpeg.c448cc7eb9e79dc85e7f4c8f8753b8f5.jpegIMG_1149.thumb.jpeg.e660bc8f916f6127eef156276f0b6962.jpegIMG_1147.thumb.jpeg.8dd119b84bebd3c64dc02fd0744826d6.jpegIMG_1300.thumb.jpeg.1ad4b84b3b0646075bfa3543da598d18.jpegIMG_1302.thumb.jpeg.e41162cd8ec19f00adda45eb9a6aa71c.jpeg

IMG_1146.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, D.martijn said:

Another solution to coat the parts to keep the gold finish is using a ceramic/quartz coating, example for coating wheels.

I've used Gyeon Q2 Rim on my  aluminium engine parts on my E30 Touring and after +3-4years it's still looks like the day I applied it.

spacer.png

Yes, I coated every nook and cranny on the transmission & transfercase...
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Very nice 👍🏼 is that costing a clear over raw bead blasted parts? Looks really nice 

2 hours ago, sczapiga said:

Very nice 👍🏼 is that costing a clear over raw bead blasted parts? Looks really nice 

Correct! In theory you need to apply the coating and then wipe it off again (when doing car wheels gor example) however I did not do this step on the bare aluminum to had some extra thickness (I think) 😄

Cleaning the parts when spilling some oil is a breeze as well.

5 hours ago, Rob Zaeos said:

Replaced the door handle rubber and linkage grommets as well as lubed the window and lock mechanisms. Really improved the experience when opening closing and operating windows!

That’s satisfying!

• Like 2

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

I added to my vintage '02 Spark Plug museum.  Champion N-9Y's and DENSO W20EP.  The only problem with the DENSOs is that the plug ends aren't the removable screw-on type.  The Champions on the other hand come with the ends all ready removed and with the end sitting loose in each box like they should be... 😄

Those were the days when you could get a Champion gear bag for $3.50.  I bet the Getrag 245 hadn't even hit the shelfs yet... 😄

Champion1.jpg

Champion2.jpg

Champion3.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 6

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

OH man still sore, I got two jobs done that have been bugging me for months.  I have a 72 . First, I had to switch the bowden cables on the control levers, when I move the defrost lever for air up, the air came out the bottom. And when I put the heat on the hot air came out the defrost vent.  Some how some PO installed them and put them on the wrong levers, so what a PAIN in the ARS. BUt, did it and put the bracket back in, cleaned up the defrost / heater face plate and bingo, .  So now I was feeling cocky, and was already on the garage floor withthe tools out, so for the past year of so, since I did an engine swap. it developed an annoying ratteling vibration at around 3000 rpm, well, long story short, I looked under and there was no exhaust support bracket from the back of the tranny to the down pipe.  So I was procrastenating cause I did not have good jack stands, a jack or the necessary stuff, so I said bugger, I am tall skinny with long arms, so I was able to slide under enough to get the 5 inch bolt out of the back of the 5 speed, bolt on the new bracket, and attach the U bolt to the bracket, YES. I cant wait to take her out in the morning, good night Irene, I need a beer

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Rich said:

OH man still sore, I got two jobs done that have been bugging me for months.  I have a 72 . First, I had to switch the bowden cables on the control levers, when I move the defrost lever for air up, the air came out the bottom. And when I put the heat on the hot air came out the defrost vent.  Some how some PO installed them and put them on the wrong levers, so what a PAIN in the ARS. BUt, did it and put the bracket back in, cleaned up the defrost / heater face plate and bingo, .  So now I was feeling cocky, and was already on the garage floor withthe tools out, so for the past year of so, since I did an engine swap. it developed an annoying ratteling vibration at around 3000 rpm, well, long story short, I looked under and there was no exhaust support bracket from the back of the tranny to the down pipe.  So I was procrastenating cause I did not have good jack stands, a jack or the necessary stuff, so I said bugger, I am tall skinny with long arms, so I was able to slide under enough to get the 5 inch bolt out of the back of the 5 speed, bolt on the new bracket, and attach the U bolt to the bracket, YES. I cant wait to take her out in the morning, good night Irene, I need a beer

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

Well done!  You deserve 2 beers!

• Like 2

'74 Atlantic Blue Tii w/sunroof (my very first car - circa 1990)

'76 Sahara w/sunroof (restored/repainted sunshine yellow, then sold - circa 2002)

'76 Fjord Blue w/sunroof (restored in '96 by PO) - my current baby

Good day with the Inka. 

Fixed my non-op horn. Traced the wiring down to the relay… stole the one off my ‘71 and now the horn works. (Wish I could find a proper, round,  Hella relay to replace it)

87A48BDA-CB9F-4995-A1A3-559B68A26E21.thumb.jpeg.41ab0caa67bd85d5c0d537e21a1a40ec.jpeg

Adjusted my valves for the second time in as many days. I got in a hurry yesterday and when I cranked it up it was ticking loudly. Took my time this morning and now it purrs like it’s supposed to. 

Wired in some vintage Notek fog lights only to find one lamp is out. That lamp is obsolete (made by Mazda, actually) I think I can make an H3 lamp work… we’ll see. 

88AC67A6-9FBF-4694-ACC5-1DE7BA6826B6.thumb.jpeg.45128732800d403ae63155e97c144a3d.jpeg55FB7848-F386-4B2D-BCDE-492F802135A3.thumb.jpeg.7094732010bf02d4f2b613dcdf952c19.jpeg

Added a 3rd brake light up high in the rear windshield…some of the LEDs aren’t illuminating…oh well. 

F981AD61-4158-43BD-ACD7-4C2E8D3EFD37.thumb.jpeg.bf0ab516e5bca56759aa8b7d524e1dce.jpeg

Then installed new seat belts from W&N (sorry BlueDevils…)

Then I drove it for about an hour, enjoying the cool weather we finally have around here. 😎

• Like 9

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Finished reinstalling the center console after the carpet install. I designed a cup holder based on a design I saw on eBay.  I needed it large enough to hold my large Yeti cup. It works surprisingly well. There is just enough flex in the plastic to allow the cup to sit on the carpet while being held tight in the holder. 

IMG_2830.thumb.jpeg.d60f4cc1519d34abd30d9238e6454fec.jpeg

IMG_2829.thumb.jpeg.f289a955b3c79277f78fb832b05fc7e5.jpeg

• Like 9