• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

It's been a couple of weeks but we managed to do some more work on the 02 Touring.

We started with cleaning up the flanges and remaining sheetmetal of the original shock tower panel.

First test fit was pretty good, we needed to shift the panel 5mm more to the front of the car. Some hammering of the floor flange above the rear subframe (we knew this was a little too long before hand tho)

spacer.png

After moving over the flange a little, we test fitted the panel again and it's pretty much spot on, maybe 1mm more but it's close. Also put on the rocker to check the height of it and the panel. Happy with the result.

spacer.png

Also test fitted the outer wheel well panel, it's a lot better than the other side. We will need to massage it a little to get it nice and flush with the outer wheel arch but shouldn't be a problem

spacer.png

A little off topic but I'm sure we'll use it for the 02 as wells so..

In the meantime I also started on making a 2x72 belt grinder. Maybe some of you also know about this one, it's from Housemade called the Revolution Gen5 belt grinder.

I was able to get most of the hardware at work, as well as the motor. The frequency drive I got on Aliexpress as well as some other hardware. The aluminium wheels I got online too.

I made the steel parts from plates I found in the metal dumpster. It's overkill since I'll need to weld everything up but I decided to clean up the plates by surface grinding them; because why not right? :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was also able to 3D print the handles and some other small parts like the VFD controller housing

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

Tii airbox and mounting bracket painted and installed. Cleaned up the fuse box contacts and fuses. Checked all the lights and such; all those seem to be working well. 

D4A84573-902B-4D10-BB02-B54E156A531C.thumb.jpeg.276120de0d0807497ee0094204607a5f.jpeg

Received some 1972 Texas plates, so now I can get it registered and start driving it!

Still working on the gauge cluster… need to add a separate ground. Hoping to drive it home to my house this week; though working in Barney’s shop in this cool weather is so nice. 

Ed Z

• Like 11

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

On 10/7/2023 at 6:07 AM, D.martijn said:

Revolution Gen5 belt grinder

I had to look that one up. Looks very nice. It’s cool that you can DIY it. 

By the way, thanks for all your posts! I soak up each one of them. I used some of your pics to understand the a pillar/inner fender/inner sill/outer sill construction for my rebuild of that area so you’ve helped at least one person in a practical way.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, popovm said:

I had to look that one up. Looks very nice. It’s cool that you can DIY it. 

By the way, thanks for all your posts! I soak up each one of them. I used some of your pics to understand the a pillar/inner fender/inner sill/outer sill construction for my rebuild of that area so you’ve helped at least one person in a practical way.  

Thank you! 

Glad to hear it's at least helping someone out there!

• Like 1

This weekend I upgraded my rear lights to LEDs from Classic Auto LEDs.

I started by removing the complete light assembly, then cleaned all parts, including the NLA rubber seals, from which I cleaned the grime from with citrus based cleaning wipes.

image.thumb.jpeg.a7107f022c11be7c78776e6e6c16a378.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2d83748d1d6d2a0c8667911dda3ef437.jpeg

The I taped the electrical connectors and sprayed the lights with a can of Rustoleum silver metallic finish paint.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c9f7d6bb2637e01aa97c626ac45092a.jpeg

Next, I installed the LEDs and voila!

image.thumb.jpeg.9992e47a299283e24a6c40844ccb62fb.jpeg

I was able to source the driver's side clear plastic cover (mine was missing) and the knurled white plastic knobs from RogersTii, OEM gaskets that sit between the lenses and the housing from Pelican - to be installed upon receipt.

I'll add a pic once reinstalled and cannot wait to see my new tail lights in action!

• Like 5

'74 Atlantic Blue Tii w/sunroof (my very first car - circa 1990)

'76 Sahara w/sunroof (restored/repainted sunshine yellow, then sold - circa 2002)

'76 Fjord Blue w/sunroof (restored in '96 by PO) - my current baby

Just did a last run over the Klausen pass before the car goes into storage for 6 months before shipment to Portugal.   The FunMobile didn't miss a beat.  Don't worry about those altitude changes, runs just fine!

I'm going to miss these roads, but I'll find new ones!

image.thumb.png.9eac4b5cc09359627e66e4312289607c.png

• Like 10

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

2 hours ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

I'm going to miss these roads, but I'll find new ones!

Magnificent views... I'd drive off the edge from gawking out the windows.

Moving to Portugal... you'll need to come up with a new FAQ handle 

EdZ

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, Pdxguy said:

What holds the LED pieces in place?

Thanks,

Dennis

A little glue from a hot glue gun at 4 points of contact of each individual LED.  The instructions suggest that due to the fast set time or you could use something else.

• Like 1

'74 Atlantic Blue Tii w/sunroof (my very first car - circa 1990)

'76 Sahara w/sunroof (restored/repainted sunshine yellow, then sold - circa 2002)

'76 Fjord Blue w/sunroof (restored in '96 by PO) - my current baby