• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

1 hour ago, 02Anders said:

Apologies in advance, but no pics for this one...  
But had my Green Devil on a rolling road session.  We never got around to it last spring when we made a few upgrades to the engine, but it ran quite nice anyway, even if it was obvious that it was adjusted a bit on the rich side.
But now it's finally been adjusted, re-adjusted, re-adjusted again, and then re-adjusted a bit more during the session.
Pulls strong and clean all the way up with good torque and a decent 156hp at the top end.  

Nice result. What are the specs for the engine. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Not really today but last Sunday I 'competed' (not really) in the 'Bay to Birdwood' Classic car run.  This is run yearly in South Australia and alternates between 'the Run' for cars built before 1960 and 'the Classic' for cars between 1960 and 1981.  The format alternates each year and this year was 'the Classic' so I could enter. It also signifies 2 years of having my car back on the road after my restoration. Those who have read my blog may be aware that I was rushing to get my car reassembled to enter the event two years ago and despite lots of late nights, I wasn't quite ready at the time when entries were requested so I pushed hard to finish on the day of the run, even though I wasn't actually entered. 

1,750 cars, one of the largest events of this kind in the world, set off in convoy from Glenelg on the coast (the Bay) to the the Australian National Motor Museum in Birdwood in the Adelaide Hills. Pretty much every imaginable type of car was represented, including a handful of 02s. 

IMG_1515.thumb.JPG.352fb39b8affe62ee373ebd70a722481.JPGIMG_1519.thumb.JPG.f053d1b0e796727558845c2df70ed8f1.JPG

• Like 3

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

ONE

When restoring/respraying '74 tii last year, failed to notice some small areas of rust beneath the paint along the inside crimped lip of the trunk lid.  Used a Dremel to clean the affected areas, sealed with Rust Seal yesterday (black; photos), will use seam seal to seal the crimps this weekend, and respray on Monday.  Now, rust-free.

TWO

Found a shelf unit at a yard sale ($10) and created a "body shop" (photo).

Larry

Cincinnati

IMG_5310.thumb.jpg.47fe760d28b871f13b0dac11ed96f97b.jpgIMG_5311.thumb.jpg.d21c0703119b1ca01a40602be9fe35a8.jpgIMG_5312.thumb.jpg.9c9b904c619b059c255150f7d686238a.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simeon said:

1,750 cars, one of the largest events of this kind in the world, set off in convoy

whoa... that's a lot of cars.  Looks like you were blessed with gorgeous weather to go along with a gorgeous '02.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

4 hours ago, Simeon said:

Nice result. What are the specs for the engine. 

Hi Simeon,

It's a 2-liter block with a set of forged JE pistons in there.  But they're flat top, so they are next on my list of further upgrades, as I'm sure a higher compression ratio can be achieved with grand piano pistons.  There's an E12 head with an authentic BMW Motorsport 300 degree cam and double valve springs from Schrick.  She breathes through a set of proper old Italian 45mm Weber DCOE carbs, while there's some old 4-branch manifold at the other end and a 2" Simons exhaust system.  A complete Luminition system keeps everything firing right, and then a few other niceties such as an oil cooler and not least a terribly fancy throttle linkage from Merlin Motorsport.  It's easy to opt for outright power, but as she is now, she's actually very drivable pulling clean with good torque from quite low revs, but obviously really coming alive above 4000rpm.

IMG_1525_zps9eymyhxw.jpg

IMG_1528_zpsfqq1ddkh.jpg

IMG_1529_zpszxfutrzb.jpg

My next little project will be swapping the 25% LSD from the current 3.64 diff and into a 4.11 diff.  That ought to give her a bit more GO-GO....  :P

• Like 5

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

On 8/24/2017 at 8:22 PM, BarneyT said:

getting a new generation started in the hobby...today is the day my son Ellis took ownership for my 72 golf...his brother Kane is getting my 74 granda in Dec.imageproxy.php?img=&key=c723ef59fd17d18f  

017.JPG

011.JPG

Barn, fantastic gesture!

My Dad gifted me with his beloved '68 Bristol Gray 1600 when I was in high school.  He replaced it with a canary yellow '72 Volvo 1800ES, but the 1600 was always his favorite.  I subsequently came down with the '02 contagion and have never recovered! (Never looked for a cure!) :P

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii
  • Like 3

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

3 hours ago, Simeon said:

Not really today but last Sunday I 'competed' (not really) in the 'Bay to Birdwood' Classic car run.  This is run yearly in South Australia and alternates between 'the Run' for cars built before 1960 and 'the Classic' for cars between 1960 and 1981.  The format alternates each year and this year was 'the Classic' so I could enter. It also signifies 2 years of having my car back on the road after my restoration. Those who have read my blog may be aware that I was rushing to get my car reassembled to enter the event two years ago and despite lots of late nights, I wasn't quite ready at the time when entries were requested so I pushed hard to finish on the day of the run, even though I wasn't actually entered. 

1,750 cars, one of the largest events of this kind in the world, set off in convoy from Glenelg on the coast (the Bay) to the the Australian National Motor Museum in Birdwood in the Adelaide Hills. Pretty much every imaginable type of car was represented, including a handful of 02s. 

I spent 7 months in Adelaide back in 2012.  Sadly didn't get the opportunity to take part in the Bay to Birdwood run as I had to leave Aus again about a month before it took place.  :(
But at least I did visit the National Motor Museum while I was there, and had loads of great drives up in the hills along Norton Summit Road, Gorge Road and the like.  An early morning blast to Hahndorf for coffee become a favourite Sunday morning ritual of mine.

I even ended up driving The Great Ocean Road up to Melbourne and back, which was an epic trip!
Simeon, you really kick-started some old memories there....  :D

100_6587.jpg

300620125089.jpg

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Just about to take two months off work to travel around Tasmania with a camper trailer ('unfortunately' that will not be towed by a classic BMW!). Will also be driving the Great Ocean Road and basically hugging the coast through Victoria and through to NSW where my wife's family are. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

some more rust repair on the 02 touring

I decided it ws easier to repair the flanges of the inner fender without the shock support piece... so I removed it

37153907680_b1ab9987e4_c.jpg

front triangulair piece repaired

23558963008_b56409669d_c.jpg

Rotted metal/flanges removed after sandblasting them

37411364071_d3a40aee57_c.jpg

And new pieces welded in and ground smooth :)
Turned out pretty good if I say so myself.

23558963238_41a2d5638c_c.jpg

37411363611_6e836128e7_c.jpg

Also ground down the inside

37411363991_d7cd3194e0_c.jpg

Edited by D.martijn
  • Like 2

(yesterday), replaced starter, ! left stranded at a friend's place, fortunately, vs. on the side of the road somewhere. So borrowed her car, back to my place, found the back up starter I had, removed and replaced starter, bingo, starter works, car starts. (whew!).

I am thinking the bad one, has a bad solenoid. since the motors are fairly fool proof. I guess I'll try to bench test the solenoid, somehow.

picture, from one of our 02/02/xx meet ups. 2011 I think. ,, me hood up.

025.JPG