• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sky high roundie

chasmrider

Have you priced a paint job lately ? Or farmed out body/rust repair ? ;-)

You could easily sink that purchase price into a paint job, new rubber, and some rust repair. EASILY. 

Not passing judgement on that particular car or its value, just sayin' (the paint flaking off in the trunk opening is dissapointing). I have about $30K in my roundie by now - it's been 8 yrs. But not FS. 

As a side note, almost all cool classics have tripled in value over the past 10 yrs. The 2002 crowd seems impervious to the new prices, which is good for me when I need parts... but watch the prices go up, it's only a matter of time. My 912 went from $10K to selling at $40K+ in 10 years. The 2002 is more fun than the 912 IMO. It's coming...

Edited by deschodt

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Price seems a little steep (if it really needs a engine), then again I keep seeing rough beat up 2002's on craigslist that would have been $500 dollars a few years ago and people are asking $2500 to $5000 for them now. 

Edited by ryansti

70 BMW 1600 Malaga & Nevada

And a bunch of other old junk

Since I started in the 02 world, prices have probably doubled. But for the most part, in the last three or four years in the PNW, prices for average cars have been pretty steady. 800-1000 for a good solid shell and about 2000 for a running project.

As far as this car goes, it wouldn't be the first car I've seen in the PNW sit on craigslist for months due to high prices....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Why do we continue to see nice for sale '02s (outside and, usually, interior) with engines, bays, and trunks that look as if (at a minimum) 409 and a rag have never touched them.  These sites need love, too.  Such love can easily be provided in less than a day.  It is like seeing a beautiful house, and the inside being a scene from Hoarders.  Go figure...

This has been for sale on and off for a while. It might have even changed hands and the new owner has decided to sell. I seem to remember it was for sale on the Eastside for $18k, and now is out on the island for $16k. I considered looking at it but was scared off by the engine issue at the original $18k asking price.

IMHO its high for a car that has that much potential mechanical needs. But, if you had a spare engine and 5 speed laying around...

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Not that it makes the car any more valuable, but it's the 150th US spec 2002 automatic built.  They didn't start building automatics for the US market until about April 1969, so there were very few built during tht model year (less than 1100 IIRC)--and most have been converted to manuals by now.  So it is a bit of a rare beast.  But $16k?  Not for me to determine.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The car is on Whidbey Island

Hmmm... might be more than the car is high.

Yes, without crawling all over that in person, that could be a mess.

Cleaning up the insides takes way more than a day-

there's always stuff you never counted on.

And I'm paranoid, of course, but I see a couple of bubbles in the back of the driver's rocker.

That's me

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Not perfect but this is a 69 BMW 2002. My favorite year for obvious reasons. So guys if it was your car how much would you ask for it?

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

The Granada car makes the Flomanix car look like a champ. Granada has an unbelieveable interior, including a technicolor spaghetti factory...even if the car was purchased for 7k, it looks like you'll spend that on bodywork and a complete interior, not to mention, it probably needs every consumable part(and likely many others)replaced.

The first car has me asking many questions, like how much rust? why are there vent tubes when it has a sunroof(maybe because it's early production?), what color is that in the trunk? Compression and leakdown numbers?

Both would require a Hackmechanic type inspection, then make an offer accordingly. Neither seem worth their asking price, but what do i know? I'm just a little sad to see the prices for sub-excellent cars these days.

Good luck with your search, and try to be patient.

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

As someone who has just recently scoured N.America for the best stock '02 I could find, let me wade in here and say that after looking at every '02 on the market I narrowed my search after a few weeks to cars OVER 15k asking because it became apparent to me in that short time that the tooth fairy did not exist and to get a truly solid body car you had to get closer to 20k, for stock. Tii's... MORE !!

I eventually found one and am happy that the higher price got me a way better car that I can enjoy driving for years to come and not work on to it to keep it going. Having driven an '02 off the showroom floor new in 1969 puts me at an age where I now prefer to be inside the car driving it, rather than under it fixing something

Edited by EuroOhTwo

Why do we continue to see nice for sale '02s (outside and, usually, interior) with engines, bays, and trunks that look as if (at a minimum) 409 and a rag have never touched them.  These sites need love, too.  Such love can easily be provided in less than a day.  It is like seeing a beautiful house, and the inside being a scene from Hoarders.  Go figure...

I agree. I use the health of an engine bay (both cosmetic, as well as general mechanical tidiness) as the barometer, by which I measure 2002s. It's where people get lazy. 

And…well…. I'm putting my money, sweat, and blood where my mouth is, on my own car. 

post-34474-0-81704900-1457824189_thumb.j

post-34474-0-43947100-1457824234_thumb.j

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com