• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dogpile

I have read older posts on this topic and gained knowledge but I still have a question.

71, mostly stock (msd ign, header, ansa exhaust)

No leaks

Everyday driver, when sunny, normally >65f

I drive it pretty hard but no track day type situations.

Oils I'm considering

Royal purple verses valvoline Vr1 ( both have Zdd)

Viscosity

10-30, 10-40, 20-50

Help me experts..

Thanks

Some folks will tell you synthetics aren't compatible with the seals
Those folks rely on rumors of the dark ages.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Not sure if you can get Penrite oils near you but this is what I use. Gets pretty hot here in the summer.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_brand=1&id_products=3

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

don't sweat the question, experts are not needed.  there is no modern oil that is bad for the engine.  just go by what viscosity the manual recommends for your temperature range, change at the suggested intervals and all will be good.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

20-50 synthetic in my '73 since I rebuilt the engine at 204k.  Now have 249k--no problems with leaking seals or anything else attributable to synthetic oil.  Lengthened my oil change period from 4k to 8k miles.  But I got 204k miles with conventional oil; when we pulled the engine down the crank was within specs for standard bearings, and the cylinders had only .003 thou wear.  

Just change the oil and filter frequently and use a good quality oil.

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Ah, the terror of choosing oil.  Me, I've always been a Valvoline conventional-oil kinda guy.

Back in the good old days when my '74tii was squeaky clean and I did my very first oil change, I used 30W non-detergent.  If it was good enough for my dad's 1958 Morris Minor, it was good enough for me.  

Then 3 years later the future caught up to me, I bowed to it, and switched to 30W detergent.

Life was simple until 1997 when I listened to some voice in my head and switched to 20-50W.  Then in 2009 I slid back to 10-40W and been there ever since .....

mlytle says it best,  "..... use something appropriate, change it often ....."

Cheers,

Carl