• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Essential Items To Update On 2002

vairter

I'm new to the 2002 world and somewhat familiar with the world of classic Chevy Corvairs.

I generally prefer cars that are close to stock to give an accurate sense of the history of the vehicle.

I was wondering if there is general agreement on what items on the 2002 should be considered for updating?  For the Corvair, for instance, most people believe that the mechanical fuel pump should be upgraded to an electric (the mechanical diaphragm often fails and leaks gas into the oil), points should probably be replaced with an electronic system, the 13" tires should be increased to 15", a single brake master cylinder should be upgraded to a dual system, etc.  These reasonable upgrades seem to me to enhance the drivability and reliability of the car without losing the essence of the original driving experience.

What upgrades/replacements/modernizations do you guys consider to be reasonable, appropriate, and typical for the 2002?

Terry

Ignition: Pertronix Ignitor

Shocks: Bilstein HDs

3rd brake light

Others will weigh in with other mods/updates. Aside from those I listed my '73Tii, Vern is stock.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Bushings! Replace all the rubber before other suspension. Rubber on these cars go out like a cheap hooker in Las Vegas...

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller

Lights lights lights. Headlamps to H4 (Ilike Narva bulbs) and relays if not present.

Third brake light and or good LED's.

Clean all the grounds.

If you do Pertronix, most would agree you should carry a spare something that works when the Pertronix strands you.

Electric fuel pumps may be considered a downgrade for 02s.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I think they've basically hit all the points here.

BRAKES! Make sure they're up to snuff, good flex lines cause they like to fail by blocking fluid usually locking up a caliper... Also check for leaky seals on ALL the hydraulic parts (clutch master/slave, brake master/slave, wheel cylinders, calipers)

Lights, cause if they cant see you, it wont be good! Upgrade to Hella or Bosch H4's. Both good options. ALSO add a 3rd brake light, my type of choice is a 36in (90cm) long ebay light strip. Dirt cheap, easy to wire, mounts up HIGH which is important with our low cars!

101_9707.JPG

Suspension, it's 40 years old, most everything that's 40 years old and been pounded on is a little loose by now. Check and replace ALL the bushings with either OEM or if you want a stiffer ride urethane, new Bilstein HD shocks (used ones can be OK on a budget, just inspect carefully), and lastly dont forget front end parts (tie rod ends, center link, ball joints, and strut bearings)!

Electrical, new plugs, new wires, new cap and rotor, and a Pertronix or Hot Spark. Now you can stop fiddling with points!

Rubber! Often overlooked but can cause a huge problem! Check all your hoses! Fuel hoses dont last forever and dry rot then crack and cause issues, leave you on the side of the road, or worse light the 02 and possibly you on fire, so check you hoses!

Other than that, it's just little stuff to make an 02 yours, radio, fog lights, 5 speed, etc. We all like em a little different. Good luck mate!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

What those guys said ^^^.  Luckily the 2002 car is engineered well, and was built with some thought and care (for it's day).  There aren't a lot of inherent, obvious mechanical weaknesses.  

Adding on to the above, a lot of folks put driving lights on their car.  They look cool, but if you drive at night, they are very helpful.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Driver's side motor mount, if it's still round.  And reinforce the subframe mount.

I find the vented rotor/Volvo caliper in front to be a no- brainer if

you have to do brake work- inexpensive, if you can scrounge

the hubs, and very much lower maintenance.

Carb to a 32/36 Weber, if it's not been done- the 2bbl Solex is weak.

The 1bbl is actually OK.  But not super zippy...

After that, it's mostly 'to taste'- sway bars and springs for me,

and some form of uprated shocks.  14" wheels are a nice

compromise between handling and abuse tolerance- but tires have

gotten hard to find.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

In addition to those previous suggestions...a few little things that won't detract from the stock look but are very helpful...

1.  Larger interior rearview mirror from an E21, early 5 series, or even an E30

2.  A few extra gauges:  oil pressure and volts are a good choice; you can add oil temp if you want a trio

3.  Urethane bushings for your alternator mount.  The OEM rubber bushings turn to black goo in a few years and allow misalignment which leads to noise and premature belt failure

4.  Larger capacity radiator if you have A/C and/or live in a hot climate.  A three row core radiator if you can find one, or check archives for other alternatives

5.  If you have a pre-72 car without inertia reel seatbelts, put 'em in...much better than the earlier "sphagetti" belts. 

6.  Right side outside mirror if not already fitted.  Use the later style "flag" mirrors--much larger than previous ones.

Welcome to the 2002 fraternity/sorority

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

"

icon_other_24.png"
Essential Items To Update On 2002" .....

In my opinion...Nothing..It's a stand alone car...

A good nice to have is a weber carb whether 32/36 sync linked (personal hands on preference) or 38/38 which both bode well on a 2002....I like the weber because it's easy to replace and there are plenty of parts...

ira

What they said.

Also - relocate the battery to the trunk (use a sealed battery), and install a cutoff switch.  You'll be glad the battery is out of the nose with every oil change.

I also like the bigger alternator.  The stock one (35A I think) is weak.  At least go to a 320 alt - which I think gets you to 55-75 A range.

Finally - change the hoses, including the breather for the fuel tank, as well as the fuel filler neck gasket.  The trunk smells like gas for a reason......

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

What they said.

Also - relocate the battery to the trunk (use a sealed battery), and install a cutoff switch.  You'll be glad the battery is out of the nose with every oil change.

I also like the bigger alternator.  The stock one (35A I think) is weak.  At least go to a 320 alt - which I think gets you to 55-75 A range.

Finally - change the hoses, including the breather for the fuel tank, as well as the fuel filler neck gasket.  The trunk smells like gas for a reason......

Naw.

Get an AGM battery and put it under the rear seat.

I know Ken agrees.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

From what I understand these cars were built with a bit of flex.  Give them forty years of use and they flex even more.  I have small cracks in the metal to prove it.  A strut brace stiffens things up and was an upgrade on my car. 

Re-installing original air filter housing with air regulating box if car has weber downdraft carburetor

(As much as I want to do this, it is competing with the strut brace I installed... Who's done both??)