• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid America 02 Fest

MikeinNC

As usual, Bo, Barb and company put on a GREAT event.  And lest the pictures showing wet 02s dampen your enthusiasm, it only rained very early Sat morning--a car wash shower.  Weather the rest of the time was excellent...and an absolutely fantastic drive.  Didn't get stuck behind any slowpoke pickup trucks or little old ladies, lotsa curves, sweepers and elevation changes.  

Best of all it was a time to visit with all my great 2002 friends, admire each others' cars and just generally have a good time.  My non-car friends can't understand why I'd drive 700 miles each way for a two day event that consists of more driving and looking at cars in a motel parking lot.  They just don't get it.  We do.

If you haven't been, put it on your calendar for 2015...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

We got home at noon today   We are glad everyone is ok, at least as far was we know so far.   Those tornadoes in AR, OK and MO were just too close for comfort    Here is the link to my pictures if anyone wants to have a look see

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/mikeinnc/library/Mid%20America%202014?sort=3&page=1

And here are a few more pictures

Mid point of Fridays 110 mile drive up through the Missouri Ozarks led by Bo and Charlie   

IMG_42321024x768_zpsd3fb91ae.jpg

IMG_42291024x768_zps47993d08.jpg

FrankenBimmer

IMG_42221024x768_zpsdf229888.jpg

Keith doing a valve adjustment tech session

IMG_42171024x768_zps5da2d7b6.jpg

Randy's awesome touring with Sport Package

IMG_42571024x768_zps44ba3db7.jpg

Jack Fahuna given us a session on driving our 02s

IMG_42751024x768_zps05edbb1d.jpg

One of two expert panel sessions    Tons and tons of 02 knowledge here

IMG_42981024x768_zpsbd85ff9b.jpg

Everyone is welcome   This is not a concours show although there were several concours quality cars there

IMG_42711024x768_zpsb5d74e38.jpg

Mike's ORIGINAL Tii Lux with lots of optional equipment

IMG_42671024x768_zpsc4b44ee1.jpg

Luis' 1800 is soooooo cool

IMG_42541024x768_zps65915b3b.jpg

One more NK shot

IMG_42451024x768_zpseb229ae0.jpg

For those who missed this year, I expect to see you next year. It was a blast. And special thanks from me to Terry and his crew for the impromptu Saturday drive.

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

only thing harmed was my underwear  :o

Apparently still trying to impress Savannah with your talent.

Glad you are okay.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

MidAm was a blast, and I appreciate the warm welcome that Lisa and I (and Sputter) received from everyone.  Many thanks to Bo and the crew for putting it together, and we look forward to coming up again next year.

John

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

MidAm was a blast, and I appreciate the warm welcome that Lisa and I (and Sputter) received from everyone.  Many thanks to Bo and the crew for putting it together, and we look forward to coming up again next year.

John

Nice meeting you, John! You should post a pic of your tool kit. It was an object of admiration and really completes your lovely tii.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

John it was nice meeting you and Lisa and seeing that awesome car.   

Brandon  So glad you guys are ok

And so thankful that Chris and Daniel were not directly affected by the tornado that passed so very close by

Thanks again to all of the vendors and folks that donated the door prizes to the event.   This is always one of the highlights of the Saturday evening festivities.   It helps to make the 02 community seem so small, even though we are so spread out.   The anticipation as Chris and Bo call out the numbers is soooooo much fun    I will see if Bo has a list so we can acknowledge this incredible support

John's trunk mounted tool kit is one of the finest accessories I've ever seen in / on a 2002! Great meeting you and Lisa and ogling Sputter...beautiful car!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

So glad to hear everyone in the Arkansas contingent is OK! And thanks once again to Bo, Skip and everyone else (if I try to go any further I'll leave someone out) for such a wonderful event.

And as the recipient of one of the door prizes generously donated by BluntTech (stainless brake hoses), a special thanks to all of the businesses and individuals who contributed. Just that one aspect of the event was mind-boggling, to say nothing of the cars and combined BMW knowledge. But none of it holds a candle to the camaraderie.

It was my first Mid-America Fest, but it won't be my last. Next time I'll definitely bring my '02!

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Rolled into Denver about 4pm after a day of heavy, heavy head winds from Salina west.  Dirt blowing from the fields, wind was up around 55mph per the news this evening .  Wind is a part of the back side of the low pressure weather zone that is causing the rough stuff in the SE.  I could hardly open the car door against the wind at one stop.  MPG dropped to 18-20.  The front side edges of the hood would shake, seemed like I was doing 100mph and it was only 65 into the wind.

post-9282-0-50151600-1398738165_thumb.jp

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

LOVED your car!!!! Who would know it was dragon slayer??? Perfect sleeper.

Glad y'all made it home safely. So glad I got to meet you!

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I enjoyed my first 02 Fest, but the car didn't make it, more on that later

DSCN0723_zpsacb216c2.jpg

Don't think anyone mentioned the beautiful E9 (is that redundant?) that was there.

DSCN0759_zpsaf45abc5.jpg

Group Photo, nice looking set of cars eh.

My car pegged the needle into the red zone on the temp guage in the first few miles no quick fixes so we went in the Honda, not near as much fun.  Some diagnostics when I got back, the head gasket appears to be ok, at least my compression test didn't indicate a problem, and the temp guage, when I had more time to observe, was going from cold to hot in a great big hurry as it warmed up.  The day I left I did not think I had a thermostat problem because I had it off a couple months ago and tested it on the stove.  But when I checked the car out after the rapid heat rise the top radiator hose was burning hot, and the bottom hose from the thermostat to the radiator was still cold, despite the needle being near the red zone again, so methinks the thermostat isn't opening, and I ordered a new, one.  Fingers crossed, hoping for a quick and easy $30 fix.

Actually we hit some torrential s&*t on the way back Sunday around Kansas City, so bad my wife wanted me to pull of the road, and several people were, but I am as afraid of getting hit from behind in such conditions as anything else, so slowed down and soldiered on, through I replaced the blades the day before we left,  not sure if the lethargic wiper mechanism of the 02 would have been up to the task.

Edited by glemon

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250