• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering ???

cross1717

Hey guys started to think if i can put power steering in my 75 2002,do they even make power steering for our type of car. also could or would it be better to put a bigger Steering wheel than this years wheel and take off the 75 steering wheel ?

Please comment

Also anyone selling bigger steering wheel and or any steering wheel better then my stock 75 2002 wheel we'll buy, message or post link to this.

The stock steering wheel should be more than sufficient to turn the wheels with no problem.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

The 2002 is plenty light enough for manual steering. 

Check that everything moves freely and that your tires are inflated to the correct pressure. This makes a big difference. 

I drive in new york city everyday, so most of what I do is slow speed maneuvers requiring full lock to lock movements. If you don't drive the car enough to build up the muscles, then sure, its a bit difficult at slow speeds. But the truth is that even when the car is moving at ALL, the steering effort reduces to next to nothing, even with wide sticky tires. 

If you are dead set on having power steering, though, there are some electrically assisted kits you may be interested in. Do a google search. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

You also learn the right way to use a steering wheel, as in, only when the car's moving.

But that's not the question-

Yes, of course you can add power steering.  An E36 rack and pump would do it, but that's a LOT of fabrication.

Aftermarket kits exist, for significant money, that add a 'hydroboost' function to the stock system.

I think there might even be an (e24?) box that you can retrofit in.  Esty's link has some details...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

There is an electric power steering kit for 2002s, check out here 

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/type/161/24/BMW_2002.html

It is a dutch company and has a representative in the USA (American Power Train, TN), call the number. It is not cheap, prepare to pay over 2-2.5K. It apparently installs on the column and keep the original steering box, sensitivity can be adjusted by a knob. It kicks in on lower speeds and takes itself out of the system during highway driving. I would worry about safety issues though especially since GM's screw up with similar systems ($$$$$$$$ law suit),  

Edited by bluedevils
  • Like 1

Make sure the car is moving when ya turn the wheel... I'm a small dude and I do it with stock wheel and fat sticky tires... Or like others said, go to the gym :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Or....

if the tie rods, center link are the originals from '75 or if the last steering gear refresh is unknown then i'd look at that as the source.

while you're at it, new ball joints and watch out for scope creep...

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

• 6 years later...

I would try using a e30 318i m10 power steering pump and a e24 power steering box and you could add the e24 hydroboost braking to eliminate the bulky vacuum power brake booster. The power steer pump should bolt on and the e24 steering box should be similar to the 2002 box.

The other route is the e30 318i power steering rack and pinion setup, but that requires subframe and or suspension modifications.