• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Bumpers Vs. Large Doe At ~55Mph

KFunk

I've already found a few people that have grills, ..

my initial thought when reading that line was not to think of car grill, btw.

i think i might have salivated slightly.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Glad you're OK, Kevin.  I have a somewhat cut-up squarelight nose that may have the above-the-grille pieces that were damaged on your car; let me know if you need 'em and I'll rummage around in my attic and see exactly what I have.  No squarelight grilles, though.

And yes, you were lucky--I hit a coyote in my '73 at about 45 mph on the pax side closer to the headlight than the center, and it did nearly as much damage as you received--didn't hurt the bumper at all but wrinkled the leading edge of the fender and bent up the grille and headlight bucket support (but didn't break the headlight!)

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wow, definitely looks like the big bumpers got pushed in quite a bit. Mine are off til im done the swap, only time they are coming off is at Autocross and shows. Glad you and the car got away with minimal damage!

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

blech.  Makes good chili,  and nice soft gloves, but not much else.

We killed our share of them in the NE (mostly with cars- the Monza was one kill away from becoming an ace when it rusted in half)

and ate far too much chili.

Easy enough to dress- but again, how much chili do you need?

hee

t

When I worked at NTB (National Tire & Battery) before Sears bought them out, my boss bribed us warehouse workers with his marinated venison steaks and a pony keg of beer on Fridays if we could unload at least (3) 48-53' trailers of new tires.  We usually finished up early enough to eat a hearty (free) dinner. :D

Here I am on the left with one of my leftover "uniform" tee shirts.

pics10102010029.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Well, I just got home from Kevin`s.  It was hurt a little worse than the pictures made it look.  We got it pretty close, but we have more work to do yet.  His headlight didn`t break either, which I thought was odd.  It did have deer hair stuck on it though....

I have entirely too much experience fixing crash damage on these cars now  :rolleyes:

-Jake

A Møøse once bit my sister.

YES!

`70 Black 1602 - My Beater
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135517-saving-a-1970-1602/

`03 GMC S10 - Fiance`s Truck/Parts Hauler

OK, here it is with a little improvement, thanks mostly to Johnson (I helped!) with just a few hand tools we had nearby.  I finally bought a crow bar, and that should help.  I might buy a set of cheapo body work tools from Harbor Freight as well, and see what we can do.

I just zip tied that old center grill in place for now, and John Blake may send me his soon.  I should pick up a plastic left grill tomorrow.  I also need to touch up the paint in places where it chipped off. 

post-32217-0-67096400-1383342744_thumb.j

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Do those Deer Whistles work as a deterrent?

We have tons of deer & accidents in my area, and the whistles are seen on many cars. They're cheap and easily mounted & removed. I know of owners that have the whistles AND have crashed into deer.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I'd like to get a concensus from folks with experience.

Do those Deer Whistles work as a deterant?  My brother-in-law has them on his Harleys.  After a few years he's had no close calls.

That doesn't really mean they work.

I know many people who swear by them.  Sometimes they still hit deer though.  Personally, I think the best deterrent is a nice loud exhaust, and plenty of the peddle on the right.

Bodywork tools were procured today, along with a new left grill.  Time to try again soon I guess....

`70 Black 1602 - My Beater
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135517-saving-a-1970-1602/

`03 GMC S10 - Fiance`s Truck/Parts Hauler

A Møøse once bit my sister.

OMG... I almost choked on my coffee!!!  I am STILL laughing...

Watching my nieces and nephews laugh at the Holy Grail credits gives me hope that not everything is lost on the younger generation.

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Soooo.. me and another '02er met up with some e28 guys in Leakey, Texas a few weeks ago.  While blasting along the twisty, hill country roads on a beautiful Saturday morning, the 5 series running point came within inches of whacking a deer.  The guy behind me had his video rolling and caught the ensuing 4 wheel lockup while me and Nick did our best to keep from freight-training him... Nick had those sweet VW rear discs and I had the advantage of actually seeing the deer before she got into the road...

Skip to about 1:24 on the video... you can't quite make out the deer, but you will see the tire smoke and freshly-laid rubber on the road. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CThzSZYhGlk

Good times :)

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on my mom's Camry versus deer experience.  They got the car back from the bodyshop after 2 weeks.  Total bill (to Geico) was close to $ 8K.  Hood, fenders, bumper, grill, core support, radiator, headlights, A/C condensor, electric fans, windshield, etc. Oddly enough, one rear wheel was bent.  Battery was not damaged nor the radiator itself.  Since my mom drove the car back home after the accident, she was lucky the radiator did not fracture.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"