• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust - Oem Or Aftermarket

Bros, a few months ago I replaced the exhaust system on my 75, shorty header (ceramic coated) and IE stainless steel system front to back .  As stated many times on this forum, the IE set was a bit difficult to fit and the final muffler piece with tail pipe exits direct center NOT through the tailpipe cut out on these cars.  Overall I'm pleased and I like the new tone although I would like the pipe to "seat" better.

Anyhow, during my lunch break today I cruised by a muffler shop in Santa Ana to nose around.  I noticed on their storage "wall" hung a rear muffler - grey in color, hangers in correct position, muffler length good and both pipe beds (entry/exit) just right. I asked the dude to see the muffler and it turns out it as an OLD ANSA muffler that was spec'd for the 75 - and would fit perfect (he put the car in air and laid it up agianst my IE).  I asked him some Q's and he stated this was just an OLD never used piece they have laying around and in his words "it was OEM for this BMW".

Here's are my Q's, I've read through many exhaust postings on this board and never heard anyone state that ANSA was the OEM muffler for these cars. So, is it true or not? If I swap out the muffler section only, do I sacrifice the free flow of the IE muffler (or system) or do I get a similar free flow results from the ANSA?

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano

sounds like you are considering swapping out a stainless steel muffler for a plain mild steel muffler.  i'm currently using an Ansa muffler i pulled off a junk car.  i have no complaints.  but i'd more than likely try to retain a stainless steel unit in preference.  you've already made the payment for the IE unit.  unless you are a parts hoarder, like me, i'd leave well enough alone.  i believe Ansa is made in Italy and was/is not OEM.  but it appears to be reasonalby made.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

bro do you want a stainless steel fork,or a cold rolled steel forky...keep the ss.

my2

btw i would not call anyone in a santa ana muffler shop Bro,I did and he thought I was a Bullfighter :o

Edited by ndog

I agree with the above posters: stick with your SS exhaust unless you are truly unhappy with it. Ansa was certainly not OEM, but they certainly were "period": I had an Ansa on my '70 briefly, ca. '73. It sounded great driving underneath a canopy of trees with the sunroof open. But forget highway driving!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It depends on what u want to spend. Ireland is good for the money. Probably won't find anything better for the money. If u want a better fit the factory Turbo exhaust will fit better and still have a good sound and good performance. You can also go Stebro and that would e about a grand. Probably the best of all worlds. If u go with the Ansa I may be interested in the Ireland.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

bro do you want a stainless steel fork,or a cold rolled steel forky...keep the ss.

my2

btw i would not call anyone in a santa ana muffler shop Bro,I did and he thought I was a Bullfighter :o

good point. I drove up and said "oye loco" and he didn't mind one bit. I might just buy the part off them just because it's there......

j

I replaced original exhust system with ANSA OE (downpipe to tailpipe) last fall and very pleased. Fitiment was perfect and sound very original. They have warehouse and technical support in N. Carolina.

http://www.ansaautomotive.com/oe-replacement/

Ansa was not dealer-supplied.  I believe BMW used Eberspächer and another vendor that I cannot recall at the moment.

post-43112-0-84208900-1371250809_thumb.j

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Think of it like this,  OE, Original Equipment, is the muffler you buy from the BMW parts org and has the BMW logo affixed,. Examples would be Eberspacher, Boysen.  OEM are pattern items manufactured by a manufacturer designed to fit but are not OE supplied items.  Examples Ansa, Bosal, Walker, etc   You pay your money and take your chances.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Center exit twin pipe ansa lasted over 10 years on my '76. Perfect tone. Very good for aftermarket. They do make a stock clone, never used it.

I've destroyed all of the "stainless" aftermarket CRAP out there. Cracked resonators, poor fit, always coming loose, torn muffler mounts. Its all JUNK. Stay FAR AWAY.

None of it is worth a dime. Stick with factory.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

.........I guess I should have stated the ANSA as an OEM replacement of course "made in Italy" would not be OEM at least back then.  Anyway, because it's an ANSA muffler, would the piece be as free flowing as my IE? Isn't that what ANSA is known for? Sorry for the ignorant Q's but I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

j

Yes this is from an old advertisement, but it shows some results that Ray Korman supplied to Primaflow (biased/unbiased??).  Look at the decible level of the ANSA muffler on the 74 2002 at idle and at 3K rpm.

PrimaFlowexhaustcomparisonad.jpg

IMO, any exhaust system will last longer if you drive the vehicle long enough to vaporize the water inside the system.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Think of it like this,  OE, Original Equipment, is the muffler you buy from the BMW parts org and has the BMW logo affixed,. Examples would be Eberspacher, Boysen.  OEM are pattern items manufactured by a manufacturer designed to fit but are not OE supplied items.  Examples Ansa, Bosal, Walker, etc   You pay your money and take your chances.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

Earl - did you fit that Supersprint muffler from the Vintage yet?

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"