• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Farewell Dear Friends

c.d.iesel

• Administrators

We are not going back to the old forum. The old forum was full of security holes, malware, poor search engine, continuously corrupted the database, was abused by spammers and was abusing the system resources. 

New software makes it 100x easier to post photos, videos, links. It makes it a lot easier to promote posts to articles, allows users to actually write articles, post photos to the gallery, gives them space for their virtual garage. But you do not have to use any of those things, you can post, just like you did in the old forum.  type in the box and push "Post" button

THIS NEW FORMAT TAKES TOo much time to read and

Please, elaborate. You have mentioned this before, but have not actually told me how this is slower.

My issue so far is that when I try to search something specific through google/ yahoo it comes up with a link to nowhere.  Have to get used to the search on this.

That takes time, the crawler is working. You can actually now find the new articles on google, the posts will show up soon too. And you can actually use the search within the forum, which is actually better then the one from the old forum

yeah, the overhaul falls into the "be careful what you wish for" column. The original format was easier to scan topics, search for topics, etc, etc. bacially everything everyone is saying about the benefits of the old version. Do the benefits outweigh the risk (struggles in this case)? not yet. Besides, most forumsn are set up in the same basic format - its familair, you can go right to sight, drop right in and start using 

please elaborate on how this is more complicated

this is the only issue I have. The new forum is amazing as far as user interface goes, but it is just a blank book without all of the old posts to search for. Without all of that information stockpiled throughout the years, the forum is less of a resource and more of a message board, which isn't necessarily what we need for our 40 year old gems. 

you are just dead wrong!!! we have over 100,000 topics and close to 700,000 replies. we probably lost 100 in the conversion. 

...the contrast/white space is an issue here, too...   

the previous forum was black on white, the new one is black on white. I left the color combination the same on purpose so it will feel close to the old one. 

steve k.

the guy who has been running this site for 11 years

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

• Administrators

Sorry to say I'm not on here much as it all seems too broken up in the main section with lots of sub categories to shuffle through.I suppose it gives me more under the hood time ! I'm certainly not feeling it any more !

I gave you a choice, to either use the categories or just look in one General forum. Don't click on the categories and that will solve all your problems. If one day you decide to only read about engines, click Engine and Drivetrain

steve k.

• Administrators

I am having a tough time too CD. Not sure what I am looking at and how to respond with photos. I am struggling too. I am just poking around hoping the new format clicks with me.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/139593-how-to-add-photos-to-post/?hl=attachment#entry922567

please review that.

My backyard "pool" is pretty big, so CD needs to stay and help me fill it. Who's going to post all the great graphics and pics?

DSC_0802.jpg

Well - this shouldn't be in there.

912inPond.jpg

The scene cut out from the movie "Twister"?

IMG_0430.jpg

712y.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

As far as I can see, it's 100x better than the old site. No more guest postings, spam, etc. New format is less than a week old, there's going to be bugs to tweak and stuff to get used to. It's a free one man show, be patient.

CD, I like and appreciate your post as much as the next FAQer. But now that your ego has been rubbed here, we all should be all good..right?

Edited by RayC911

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

CD, as you can see I have only sold parts once since the new makeup happened. I tried not to avoid this change but yes like you, my brain kept rejecting also. I'm pushing it though. I know it will take a month or so and my brain will catch-up. I remember when I 1st opened google mail (gmail) and it was great until I think two years ago and they changed the entire look. I almost closed my gmail account immidiately as my brain kept rejecting it. I gave a it a few weeks and it finally took over. Now I don't even remember what the original gmail looked like. So, I'm hoping to get a grasp of this new site quick.

Yes, I'm visiting this site now a lot less but the realm of the old site keeps bringing me back.

I've gotta say, I am getting used to the new site and like it's new look each time I log in.

Working with a DOS OS (DOS Dinosaur) [brief stint with Apple & Mcintosh in college], then to Windows 95, 98, XP then 7, every change to me seemed horrible, then you get used to using it and wonder "why was I so resistant"?  Hell - I used the same major OS at work for 20+ years before we switched to SAP in July 2010. Same goes for these forums.

I applaud Steve for all the untold long hours he (and other volunteers) put into making this upgrade happen.  We pay literally nothing to be a part of this great community.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have only a few things to say in regards to the upgrade.

It will take time for us to all get used to the new format. It does look different than it did but those days are gone and it will only take a little time for us ALL to adapt. The old format was so poluted with crap you never knew if your computer would survive anothr visite. Besides, where ya gonna go, Bimmerforrums? Roadfly?

This is Steve's site and he runs this out of his own good will. It's not like he laughing all the way to the bank from the money the FAQ makes. Matter a fact, I hope the software upgrade was covered. I know his time wasn't.

Now we are all gonna be a bunch of little Fonzies, do our job of trying to figure this all out and be better off for it.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

the previous forum was black on white, the new one is black on white. I left the color combination the same on purpose so it will feel close to the old one. 

Steve, it's not you, it's the whole internets.  They're all going to light pastels and softie buttons because they look good on dinky screens.

By and large, I'll be fine, and I LOOOVVVVEEE not having to wait 30 seconds for things to uppy- date.

And once I figured out to click on General Forums and ignore the subcategories, things got better too.

Thanks for all the work you put into this site, and especially for keeping it going in the face of all us luddites!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I don't know when I started with the FAQ. '00,'01? In the subsequent years I have been here almost every morning , first thing. I have seen many good folks come and go. To say that I am both mechanically and electronically challenged is the mildest form of understatement. That said, I've learned a great deal here and it was the FAQ that introduced me to everyone...and everything '02. CD, yours are always, must reads. I wish after 11,800+ posts you'd stick around. I give you top points for history, directness ;), and perhaps best, style! Happy Trails man. Hope you reconsider!

I've been biting my tongue for the first few days because I wasn't quite sure how to react to the new site. Now that it has been a little while, honestly, the old site is already fading from my memory. Yes, the new one has a slightly different feel, but I see significant benefit with the improved search function, better speeds, and much reduced concerns of viruses. The look is a little different, but the community remains the same, and that really is what has kept me coming back for the last 8 years. Thanks to all who have made it so great, regardless of the iteration.