• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signal flasher upgrade easy to do & what a difference

02hobiedave

• 1 month later...

I installed the 13L from Napa.  It works as advertised.  Weird thing, though.  I seem to get some after effect, carry on.  After the signal is canceled, I still get a couple of weak flashes- at least inside, I'm not sure about outside.  Like a capacitor was bleeding out it's charge...  (ME not EE. I'm not very good with stuff I can't see...)

Side note; my understanding is that the electronic flashers flash properly regardless of load- so I think any of the electronic flashers should work properly...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

• 2 months later...

The original flasher unit had hooks on it to affix to the interior side.  We installed a rectangular substitute that does not have the hooks.  How to we affix it to the wall over the hood release?

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

12 hours ago, David Layton said:

The original flasher unit had hooks on it to affix to the interior side.  We installed a rectangular substitute that does not have the hooks.  How to we affix it to the wall over the hood release?

zip tie it loosely to something in that area - just be sure it doesn't interfere with anything (i.e the hood release) before replacing under-dash panels

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2018 at 10:27 AM, irdave said:

I installed the 13L from Napa.  It works as advertised.  Weird thing, though.  I seem to get some after effect, carry on.  After the signal is canceled, I still get a couple of weak flashes- at least inside, I'm not sure about outside.

I had the same effect, just a couple extra flashes inside after the cancel.

I used the EL13L1, with the ground out of the top of it hooked up to the original ground pin - Works great other than the extra couple of interior flashes.

20180821_194431.jpg

Edited by spuriouspseudo

2 hours ago, spuriouspseudo said:

with the ground out of the top of it hooked up to the original ground pin

"hooked up"  ...  well said  :) 

675256785_flashergroundhookedup.thumb.jpg.075cd5606af25d49f65b801245130e21.jpg

I'd clip the end off and crimp on a spade connector... sketchy grounds are a pain in the butt.

I'd also get some tape on the exposed connectors, so they do not short out.

(perhaps this was not the finished product...)

I am curious why you use the plug, as opposed to simply plugging the wires into the flasher.

Easier to swap in a new flasher, if this one fails?

Cool that you've got it working. 

Tom

7 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

(perhaps this was not the finished product...)

I am curious why you use the plug, as opposed to simply plugging the wires into the flasher.

Wait... what, you don't think this is gonna work out?  Ha! - I was just so exited that it worked I got to posting...  More to see if anyone has figured out the ghost flashing, but my vid didn't post - it's there now.

... I had expected a connector on the end of the factory loom, so I set up the pigtail adapter (H4 headlight connector) with spades, like others have done.  The connector must have disintegrated years ago, so I was just left with the internals.  I just plugged it in to see if it would all work - at first it didn't until I did my professional hook up of the ground, then, presto!

The new flasher also seems to have fixed my hazard functionality, it didn't work before.

Anyway, next step will be to hardware the new connector onto the harness and get a covered spade for the ground.

• Like 1

Ok, so I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. I hooked up the EL13 and I just get steady light on my signals. No flashing. Same issue if I try the hazards. Just steady light. I'd tried ordering an EL13C as this is what was advised by Daniel Stern, but just got the regular EL13 instead sent by Amazon. Has anyone actually tried an EL13C? 

I'm running LEDs on all 4 corners and cleaned up all my terminals and grounds... I'm baffled. 

2 hours ago, draper68 said:

Ok, so I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. I hooked up the EL13 and I just get steady light on my signals. No flashing. Same issue if I try the hazards. Just steady light. I'd tried ordering an EL13C as this is what was advised by Daniel Stern, but just got the regular EL13 instead sent by Amazon. Has anyone actually tried an EL13C? 

I'm running LEDs on all 4 corners and cleaned up all my terminals and grounds... I'm baffled. 

I've got the EL13L1.  It worked as advertised for about 5 months- then just stopped working.

Do your flashers work as they should with the regular relay?  Mine flash outside and give just one flash inside with the stock relay...

Dave.

Fixed up my wiring - repinned the old harness right into the new H4 connector.

So far so good, been running a week now, still get the ghost indicator light, but all is working otherwise, including the hazards.

One thing though, and it did this before the change to the new flasher - When the car is off and the signal stalk selector is set to left or right; the front left signal, both rear signals and the reverse lights stay on.

I know that some older cars had an option to set the parking lights of the car to one side or the other, via the turn indicator - is this what's going on?

20180903_182444.jpg

• Like 2

If I leave the signal indicator one way or the other those lights (turn signals) stay on-as parking lights. Maybe you have a common wire somewhere? Obvious question, do they both flash with just the turn signal? (Do they work correctly during normal operation?)

Dave.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Reviving this thread again, as I think I have some good info for future DIY.

I received the BMCautos LED taillight kit for Christmas.  Very cool design and well-engineered.  The application was dead simple. SUPER BRIGHT!Assembly1.thumb.jpg.54768dbe17ae811fa418e8965289b184.jpgAssembly3b.thumb.jpg.24a84ecae0a6be95752207961f875c7c.jpg

I gambled and bought a generic EL-13 electronic flasher from O'rielly's.  They state that it is the same as the Napa EL-13.  Wired it following info in this thread. Immediate success! All functions are correct.   I think the BMCautos kit must have resistors to match the basic flasher unit.  Cheers to them!169900853_ElectronicFlasherXCU.jpg.912967e29b493cd23923240f15f265e5.jpg

I positioned the new unit to piggyback on the original flasher unit because it gives it a place to live and I get a louder CLICK CLICK CLICK because it is touching the chassis.  Also it can be easily removed and the original configuration restored.1378163794_ElectronicFlasherWide.thumb.jpg.29567da0684e9eacd876f3fd40bde260.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 5

73 Inka Tii #2762958