• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest colors?

When I see a group of '02s at a show, it reminds me of this:

jolly-rancher-wrap-candy.jpg

I'll avoid any reference to the "chewy centers..."

:)

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I agree with most all of what has been mentioned, except that (although not rare originally maybe), "Atlantik" is not seen very often these days. I admit being partial to it since I own one, but I just think it's a great and little often seen color anymore!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

gpetrus --

Was that Taiga car for sale, or were you just looking at it as in admiring it? I really like Taiga, and would be interested if it were available.

TMK-001 --

Are there any pictures of that car online that you are aware of?

Thanks!

Delia's point about not "ordering" a car but choosing what was on the dealers lot, I'm guessing that applied to options as well?

A few weeks ago I was looking at a Taiga Tii that had a factory CR dogleg 5 speed, alloy rims, tinted winshield(w/the blue strip across the top), sunroof, and leather seats. This was the most loaded up with options 02 I've ever seen.

A lot of the stuff you mention was likely Euro-delivery, custom dealer-ordered, or aftermarket stuff not readily available to the hoi polloi. In the early 70s the Feds were really fussy about non-USA spec cars coming in from Europe and Japan. The Japanese were accused of "dumping" these low-priced economy cars and mini-trucks on our shores, and, for the most part, they were really strict about dockside inspections. Getting something new in "under the radar" was difficult.

Euro-delivery had some leeway because the car came in to the USA as "used." So, after you pick up your car at the dealer in Munich, just go around back to the service area, order a few parts and have the stuff installed. The sticker from the dealer still reads USA-spec, but you have all this neat "unobtanium" stuff on your car. After your Euro- drive is over, put it on the boat with all it's obscure accessories and upgrades. As long as the paperwork is in order, who's to know?

Here in the USA, you couldn't get some of the rarer options listed in the brochure unless you were 'close personal friends' with Max Hoffman or some other mucky-muck.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Karl:

You are not alone. I bought a 1971 BMW 2002 in original Florida off of eBay. The car was up in the Riverside area and had an engine fire. When I got it to San Diego, it was far to gone to save. Stripped it down to the shell and sold the shell to someone on the east coast. I hope they kept the original color, it was beautiful, a subtle milky green.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Schwarz seems to be more common in the later cars than earlier ones.

Florida seems pretty rare although I've seen a few pop on ebay from time to time and know of one in Portland and of another that somebody parted. I've seen more than a handful of ceylon 02s too. It seems ceylon, siennabrau and sahara 02s tended to get painted different colors as tastes changed.

I've seen two tundra tiis and one cabriolet in person (two of these at the second Spring Fest and I owned the other) and know of few others through the net.

All I know is that sahara, chamonix, polaris, inka, verona, granada, golf, siennabrau, colorado, anthracite, agave, malaga, fjord and ???? aren't.

Any of the Diana colors would of course be rare :)

-Jaycen PNW2002

Florida car he restored. His father owned the car and makes the story even better.

Picture taken on a drive near Canaan Valley, WV

14DereckScott.jpg

Um... is that a clear running light there on the rear, or is it missing the lens?

Clear would be something else... looks good on that car!

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Mike Macartney's book "BMW '02 Restoration Guide" has a comprehensive listing from his research that lists paint colours with models - 2002's, 1600's, Tourings, etc - he provides comments as to which ones he found were common or rare - it's on page 58.

cheers

Richard

In my life growing up in the SF bay area with parents involved in the BMWCCA there are few US spec '02 colors I've rarely or never seen up close and personal..

Starting with the older to newer colors...

Caribe 059: seen only once on a 68 1600 in a bone yard

Turf 073: Never seen up close

Tampico 005: once or twice

Derby 056: Never seen up close

Pacific 039: maybe on one or two cars in my life, easiy mistaken for Riviera.

Mint Grün 079: Seen on two round lights and a few square lights.

Schwartz 086 very rare on a pre mod '71, more common on mod '71 and later.

Tundra 068: I've seen it on a e9 coupe but never on an '02 yet.

As for the metallics, basicly anything other than Polaris and Fjord are rare on round light cars. I have not seen.....

Nacht Blau: it's a e3/e9 color I've seen but never seen an '02 in it yet!

Those are the really rare ones; If I haven't seen them than they MUST be rare!

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

gpetrus --

Was that Taiga car for sale, or were you just looking at it as in admiring it? I really like Taiga, and would be interested if it were available.

TMK-001 --

Are there any pictures of that car online that you are aware of?

Thanks!

Hi Will,

Todds in and out at the moment (very busy) so im sure he wont mind if i field this one for him. Neither of these cars have been for sale as long as i have know both the gentlemen that own them - and neither AFAIK would want to get rid of theirs at this stage as both have restored them. One is owned by a friend who i was under the impression resprayed it in Tiaga when he restored it. Stewart Garmey's the other one I know of and his Tiaga was featured in a magazine a few years ago (BMWCar or Bimmer i think) and is immaculate.

Here is a link to a few of the photos from a drive he had a year or so ago where both Tiaga cars were present. I took mine off my photobucket account but most of Todd's and Tim's are still up.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,270868/

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky